Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i might attend the ATC annual meeting this year. anyone else? :)

here's the deets:

I’m excited to announce that our annual membership meeting will take place on Saturday, September 7 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM. The full details for the meeting, as well as how to attend can be found below:

This year, the annual membership meeting will be online only. You can view a live stream of the meeting on our YouTube page.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i might attend the ATC annual meeting this year. anyone else? :)

here's the deets:

I’m excited to announce that our annual membership meeting will take place on Saturday, September 7 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM. The full details for the meeting, as well as how to attend can be found below:

This year, the annual membership meeting will be online only. You can view a live stream of the meeting on our YouTube page.
      Possibly from online over their YouTube. Wondering if it will work..... I was in "Computing" for decades and often even with "old" technology, used by "newbies", first run was a disaster. (Not enough band width. Gee, we sent out a company wide invitation....and 9000 people joined....we were only tested at 100 connections. Wait, you mean we have to have a camera working and not just off the laptop in the room? I guess we should have first checked that we here at HQ, could MUTE all incoming lines. HEY! Quit announcing yourself as Dilbert!). Hope it goes very well for them.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • for an organization that promotes outdoor exercise -- i can't believe they said this with a straight face:

"Our membership meeting is an opportunity for us to come together as a community to discuss the future of the ATC, and recommit to educating and empowering current and future caretakers of the A.T."

i think "coming together as a community" is more than each of sitting in their lazy boy chair watching a youtube video on one of our devices.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

HEY! Quit announcing yourself as Dilbert!).
      believe it or not -- dilbert was first published in 1989 -- 30 years ago!
      I wound up inheriting a few old Dilbert books. Now that I'm retired, I've been reading them again. Sitting there remembering "yeah....That boss over at X company....this was him. Yeah, remember when the company assigned all the wrong dim-bulbs to the project and wondered why if then failed".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • odd man out wrote:

Just got back from our first car camping trip at Interlochen State Park. One nice thing is that Interlochen (unlike most MI State parks) has a loop for rustic camping (wooded sites, pit toilets, pump water), separate from the usual RV parking lot with trailers stacked like cordwood. Also it is adjacent to Interlochen National Fine Arts Camp, which has a boarding school and summer camp for some of the country's most talented music students. In fact our trailer was just a few yards from from a camper's cabin (separated by a security fence). At 7 AM and 10 PM we were treated to the camp's playing of reveleille and taps, and because this is Interlochen, the trumpet player was excellent. They also have a huge concert venue where they have world class artists perform. In June we were there to see Josh Grobin (who was a camper there as a high school kid) and this time we saw Weird Al Yankovik (who was not a camper as they don't have an accordian program).
      Jewel attended Interlochen as a teen.
    • max.patch wrote:

i might attend the ATC annual meeting this year. anyone else? :)

here's the deets:

I'd like to go but it's too far for me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

she was 20 minutes behind her hiking partners, so no witnesses. maybe it happened, maybe it didn't.

ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/hiker…ftFeCx762pa0neZiS36W1fcVs
      This is why I don't use ear phones (buds) in the back country.
      I have personally decided to wear noise reduction earbuds to remove the cricket sounds.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • when did we become a total nanny state? :(

i need to use a paper cutter for about 10 minutes. the regional library is right next door to the ymca, so i stopped in to see if they had one i could use.

they have one -- but they need to check with the dept head for permission for me to use it.

because -- you know -- i may cut my finger off and they don't want the liability.

so i left my phone number and am waiting for an answer. if they get the lawyers involved i know what the answer will be.
      2,000 miler
    • Standing in line at the pharmacy. Nothing to do but read ingredient labels. Pick up a bottle of Boost Nutrition Drink. Top ingredients: water, corn syrup (i.e. glucose, Karo), milk protein (i.e. nonfat dry milk), sugar (I'm assuming sucrose), and vegetable oil. All that's left is some soy protein, electrolytes, vitamins, flavoring, and some zero-calorie sweetener (I guess because all the sugar at the top of the list wasn't enough).

I passed.
    • Astro wrote:

Students starting to arrive back on campus. I have to admit I do enjoy when most are gone during the summer and both the road and network traffic is so much lighter. :)
      Me too, but fall has always been my favorite season. Working at a university, I find the enthusiasm of the returning students infectious, that is until all their dreams are dashed by us evil professors. :evil:
    • Very sorry to hear that Max, very disturbing.

Anyone who would break into an occupied home is either very dangerous or out of their mind or both. Possessions can be replaced, people cannot, glad you are alright.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

I could see the same thing happening to me. When I was a teenager I slept so hard my mother was afraid the house might burn down and I would sleep right through it.
      well, they broke 2 windows getting in the place that i slept thru.
      my guard cats let me down. :(
      Dayum! Hope you didn't lose anything that is unreplaceable.

My guard-pointer will jump out of bed and bark her fool head off when someone opens a car door three houses up the street. Greta for security. Not so great for getting a full night's sleep.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

my house was broken into and robbed last night between 1:00 am and 9:00 am.

i was home and slept thru it.

this could have ended up a lot worse than it did.
      Damn, sorry that happened to you. Glad you were not hurt. When I lived in my log cabin in the woods, it got broken into one day while I was at work. Two crackheads ransacked it. They were caught weeks later breaking into a man's house while he was in the shower. He had a shotgun in the bathroom with him lol and apprehended them. That was about 10 years ago. One got 25 years and the other 15 years. I just got notice one is up for parole. They are supposed to make restitution to me but I'm not holding my breath on that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Picked my son up at the airport from his internship in Tokyo, Japan. I know I am on the back side of my 50s, but when I see a sign like it still makes me want to cross the line. ^^
      Images
      • 20190822_004100.jpg

103.98 kB, 800×600, viewed 327 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i went to burger king today for the first time in at least 10 years. i don't eat many fast food burgers -- but when i do -- there are other places i like better.

i wanted to try the "impossible whopper". it's a regular whopper with one small difference -- the burger is replaced by a plant based "burger" aka the "impossible burger".

burger king advertises this as "0% beef, 100% whopper".

and the verdict -- they're right.

this thing tastes exactly as i remembered a whopper did. and if someone gave me this burger and didn't tell me it was meatless i wouldn't have had a clue.

now this isn't exactly a "healthy" sandwich -- but the hype is deserved.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i went to burger king today for the first time in at least 10 years. i don't eat many fast food burgers -- but when i do -- there are other places i like better.

i wanted to try the "impossible whopper". it's a regular whopper with one small difference -- the burger is replaced by a plant based "burger" aka the "impossible burger".

this thing tastes exactly as i remembered a whopper did. and if someone gave me this burger and didn't tell me it was meatless i wouldn't have had a clue.

How much more than a Whopper did it cost?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i went to burger king today for the first time in at least 10 years. i don't eat many fast food burgers -- but when i do -- there are other places i like better.

i was going to check but i forgot. next time i pass the burger king i plan on checking the price on the drive thru menu board. i'm curious also.

the "impossible whopper" cost $5.29 (that's just the burger; i didn't get anything else).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i was going to check but i forgot. next time i pass the burger king i plan on checking the price on the drive thru menu board. i'm curious also.
      the "impossible whopper" cost $5.29 (that's just the burger; i didn't get anything else).
      About $1 more than a whopper
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123