Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Things have been quiet in the Cafe, wish I had something to contribute but it seems like I have been doing nothing but work and sleep lately.

Tell you what, I will commit to take at least one short walk in the coming week and post if the rest of you do too :)

Mostly, I am looking forward to the summer right now when the weather and the time I have to do things improves.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Things have been quiet in the Cafe, wish I had something to contribute but it seems like I have been doing nothing but work and sleep lately.

Tell you what, I will commit to take at least one short walk in the coming week and post if the rest of you do too :)

Mostly, I am looking forward to the summer right now when the weather and the time I have to do things improves.
      I can totally relate to this. I am either working or freezing at a baseball game.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • One positive of all these baseball games in the 30s and low 40s is that I definitely will be bringing my down puffy and wool baselayers this summer for NH & ME. I want to try to go as light as reasonable, but somethings are worth it, and being out in the cold repeatedly reminds me of it. :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

Things have been quiet in the Cafe, wish I had something to contribute but it seems like I have been doing nothing but work and sleep lately.

I'm hoping to be heading out for a few days soon and will post a report. My gallbladder or something has been acting up and I had an ultrasound today so depending on what they saw will determine if I can hike. Otherwise you might be getting pictures of my newest scar. 8o
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

We just got back from a day trip to Chicago. I suppose a few hours of walking through the Art Institute qualifies as a "hike". I can post pics when I get to my computer.
      Great museum, one of the paintings I really enjoyed was "Song of a Lark' by Jules Breton, and then I saw this story...
      nbcchicago.com/news/local/Bill…ative-Life-279277812.html

You can actually get in plenty of miles in that whole waterfront park area, I know I did. But that was the summer time, I don't think it would be as inviting in the winter.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

We just got back from a day trip to Chicago. I suppose a few hours of walking through the Art Institute qualifies as a "hike". I can post pics when I get to my computer.
      Great museum, one of the paintings I really enjoyed was "Song of a Lark' by Jules Breton, and then I saw this story...nbcchicago.com/news/local/Bill…ative-Life-279277812.html

You can actually get in plenty of miles in that whole waterfront park area, I know I did. But that was the summer time, I don't think it would be as inviting in the winter.
      We get to Chicago a few times a year but it always is when the weather is crappy. It's usually November (our anniversary), December (Christmas shopping), or "Spring" break (first week of March). Last time was the first week of Nov and it it was pouring rain when we went to see Hello Dolly and the Aquarium. The view of the city from the front steps of the Aquarium is for my money the best urban landscape in the world. And it's getting better. There are some super-tall spiffy-looking apartment buildings going up at the south end of the park and on the river just off the lakeshore.
    • IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Great museum, one of the paintings I really enjoyed was "Song of a Lark' by Jules Breton, and then I saw this story...nbcchicago.com/news/local/Bill…ative-Life-279277812.html

I remember once being on a business trip in Chicago and walking around in the teens from my hotel to the office building. Believe I wasn't looking to pick up any miles, and just happy to get back inside.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I'm hoping to be heading out for a few days soon and will post a report. My gallbladder or something has been acting up and I had an ultrasound today so depending on what they saw will determine if I can hike. Otherwise you might be getting pictures of my newest scar. 8o
      I think once you get past 50 it is always one thing or another. :rolleyes:
      I hope it not anything serious, like just something you ate that didn't agree with you.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I think once you get past 50 it is always one thing or another. :rolleyes: I hope it not anything serious, like just something you ate that didn't agree with you.
      I had also just finished a 30 day ab workout routine and it is possible that I have strained (hopefully not torn) an abdominal wall. Whatever it is, it's not getting any worse, so I guess that's positive.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

Challenge accepted. Thanks for the motivation.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • It was a beautiful day here on the island today, clear blue skies and temps in the high 40s.
      First Kathy and I went to Sears and did our part to help the economy by buying a new washing machine then we went to a county park and did about an hour's walk. We saw one lone deer that didn't seem particularly afraid of us or our dog, that's probably not a good thing.
    • Astro wrote:

You know you are getting old when the " old woman" sitting near you at the tire store has ZZ Tops La Grange as her ring tone. :rolleyes:
      One of my Taiwanese colleagues had a-ha's 'Take On Me' as his ringtone back in 2003. We were traveling together in China and I burst out laughing the first time his phone rang. Didn't expect that.

Then again, his 'western' name was Yngwie and he knew who Yngwie Malmsteen was. Strange times, they were...

I really like Reel Big Fish's cover of 'Take On Me'.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

i like the literal video version where a sound alike changes the lyrics to match the music video. take on me was first song this was done to.

Pipe wrench fight!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I watched a show where one character said he wasn't old. His friend said "Can you stand up or sit down without groaing?" OK I'M old. Packing for a show these days include a multitude of Braces & splints a huge bottle of Vitamin I. Had our "Company Doc" stop in today & got a steroid shot in my back that has beeen causing me trouble. I went off the ibuprofin & another part of my back started hurting. Had to take an hour off to streach out untill the ibuprofin kickrd in. Thankfully it was a slow day. First show of the season is like first few days of hiking after months off. Feet are sore at the end of day, But they are swollen too from not getting to walk muck. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternatie!
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

You know you are getting old when the " old woman" sitting near you at the tire store has ZZ Tops La Grange as her ring tone. :rolleyes:
      You're not getting old, you just stumbled into one cool lady...one of my favorite tunes...really like the ZZ Top singer along with Sue Foley doing Fools Gold
      after that video ended it displayed a list of more videos. there was one of a little blond girl i clicked on. holy smokes there sure are some talented kids in the ukraine, though i think that particular little girl is from kazakhstan.

this is her

turns out she won the competition.

The post was edited 1 time, last by chief ().

• max.patch wrote:

i thot this was cool...

This happened to me last week. A couple of turkeys decided to wander across the road right in front of me. They were in no hurry and I had to come to a complete stop. They were just a few feet in front of me. It was a rural road and no other cars were around. In my case there were only a couple of hens. There was not male to act as a crossing guard.
    • max.patch wrote:

i thot this was cool...

I like that big boy standing in the middle of the road directing traffic while his lady friends cross, reminded me of the time a friend and I were on a logging road in VA and saw turkeys, turned around and went back with my friend in the bed of the truck with his bow ready, I stopped and about 25 crosses in front of the truck just like in this video....and my friend never got a shot off...something about a problem with his release....should have left him in the woods.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Challenge accepted. Thanks for the motivation.
      Not much to report. My walk consisted of walking the streets in downtown Lancaster Pa. it was coldish and windy, the sort of weather that causes wind tears and pink cheeks.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I watched a show where one character said he wasn't old. His friend said "Can you stand up or sit down without groaing?" OK I'M old. Packing for a show these days include a multitude of Braces & splints a huge bottle of Vitamin I. Had our "Company Doc" stop in today & got a steroid shot in my back that has beeen causing me trouble. I went off the ibuprofin & another part of my back started hurting. Had to take an hour off to streach out untill the ibuprofin kickrd in. Thankfully it was a slow day. First show of the season is like first few days of hiking after months off. Feet are sore at the end of day, But they are swollen too from not getting to walk muck. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternatie!
      dang, sounds rough. I’m getting a little arthritis in my hands and a swollen left ankle. Still, I feel better than I did at 40!
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I watched a show where one character said he wasn't old. His friend said "Can you stand up or sit down without groaing?" OK I'M old. Packing for a show these days include a multitude of Braces & splints a huge bottle of Vitamin I. Had our "Company Doc" stop in today & got a steroid shot in my back that has beeen causing me trouble. I went off the ibuprofin & another part of my back started hurting. Had to take an hour off to streach out untill the ibuprofin kickrd in. Thankfully it was a slow day. First show of the season is like first few days of hiking after months off. Feet are sore at the end of day, But they are swollen too from not getting to walk muck. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternatie!
      dang, sounds rough. I’m getting a little arthritis in my hands and a swollen left ankle. Still, I feel better than I did at 40!
      My 40th birthday was first day at home after a 5 month run. I woke up with the flue. Head pounding & body aches. As I struggled to get out of bed I was thinking everyone said it was all down hill once you hit 40. I just didn't think thry ment THE Day you hit it. This year was my fault for being so lazy. I stuck around the shop to help the boss out. His son in law has ALS & had to do some work on his house to help out. Also had to help out at boss" house & do hospital runs. Most of the time I just layed around. I miss living at the Fort where there was always something to do. Was joking with another vendor on how hard Daytona was being first show of the year & he agreadeed we haven't killed enough nerve endings yet to tolerate it.

Did get out to watch a friend's concert & catch up with her. She opened for Slayer, So I got lucky & was back at the condo by 10. A man has to know his limitations. 20 years ago I would have closed the bar.
    • chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

if there's a cliff at 50, then at 60 there's a black hole!
      Oh no, I better make sure I finish NH & ME this year. :)
      i turn 70 in 2020, soon as that black hole shoots me out the other side, i'm hoping to land in a parallel universe where i can watch myself screw up. i look forward to saying, "ha, i knew that was gonna happen"!
      Curious...do you still hike?

I feel some pressure to hike (and do other activities) as much as I can, while I can. It’s been frustrating because life events are getting in the way and I worry that my good health is running out, like sand in an hourglass.

I also worry about getting bad arthritis and not being able to knit anymore...that would be devastating. Some things bother my hands, mainly computer work and swiping motions but knitting and fiddle playing don’t bother me.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

My 40th birthday was first day at home after a 5 month run. I woke up with the flue. Head pounding & body aches. As I struggled to get out of bed I was thinking everyone said it was all down hill once you hit 40. I just didn't think thry ment THE Day you hit it. This year was my fault for being so lazy. I stuck around the shop to help the boss out. His son in law has ALS & had to do some work on his house to help out. Also had to help out at boss" house & do hospital runs. Most of the time I just layed around. I miss living at the Fort where there was always something to do. Was joking with another vendor on how hard Daytona was being first show of the year & he agreadeed we haven't killed enough nerve endings yet to tolerate it.
      Did get out to watch a friend's concert & catch up with her. She opened for Slayer, So I got lucky & was back at the condo by 10. A man has to know his limitations. 20 years ago I would have closed the bar.
      OMG, you know someone who opened for Slayer? I saw Slayer in Atlanta recently, as well as Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament, and Napalm Death.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

if there's a cliff at 50, then at 60 there's a black hole!
      Oh no, I better make sure I finish NH & ME this year. :)
      i turn 70 in 2020, soon as that black hole shoots me out the other side, i'm hoping to land in a parallel universe where i can watch myself screw up. i look forward to saying, "ha, i knew that was gonna happen"!
      I feel some pressure to hike (and do other activities) as much as I can, while I can. It’s been frustrating because life events are getting in the way and I worry that my good health is running out, like sand in an hourglass.

I also worry about getting bad arthritis and not being able to knit anymore...that would be devastating. Some things bother my hands, mainly computer work and swiping motions but knitting and fiddle playing don’t bother me.
      No. Hiking and COPD don't mix well. I'm okay with that. I spent my life surrounded by asbetos insulation on ships and in shipyards and for good measure i smoked for 40 years. It is what it is, no regrets. I allow myself to walk around my neighborhood is about all. My lungs seem to like it. I'd just as soon get on my exercise bike in the house and listen to Glenn Gould play Goldberg Variations or Pearl Jam play Pearl Jam.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Shame we can't just flip that hourglass over and give it another go. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Shame we can't just flip that hourglass over and give it another go. :)
      SandyofPA said it best...choose to be happy every day, no matter the circumstances (or something like that). If I can’t hike one day, I will still find something to make me happy. Learning to play the fiddle was a consequence of a very difficult time in my life, for which I am so grateful.

No matter where we’re at in life, choose happiness. :)