Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of that highly invasive piece of superfluous technology. Any time I enter a home that has one, I attempt to order 5000lbs of cream corn.
      invasive?alexa doesn't speak unless spoken to. and then she does what you ask her to do. all in all -- a perfect woman! :)
      Yes, Invasive.gizmodo.com/dont-buy-anyone-an…ter&utm_medium=socialflow
      amazon improved the speakers on the recently released 2nd generation echo.so i moved generation 1 to the bedroom and bought a new generation 2 for the living room.and if anyone feels moved to buy me a present -- i could use another one in the upstairs office. :)
      the echo 2 (alexa) is $99 at amazon.today only, ya get 2 alexa's for $100 at qvc.i intentionally copied elf's comment that alexa is invasive so he won't have to tell us again. :)
      Just a reminder to you all that the Echo is an insidious piece of invasive technology.
      gee elf, i was trying to save you the trouble. :) i love alexa! she plays taylor for me everytime i ask!

lol --- alexa knows which taylor to play!

Now the middle of November was covered with snow
      and so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
      The Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
      With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go....
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of that highly invasive piece of superfluous technology. Any time I enter a home that has one, I attempt to order 5000lbs of cream corn.
      invasive?alexa doesn't speak unless spoken to. and then she does what you ask her to do. all in all -- a perfect woman! :)
      Yes, Invasive.gizmodo.com/dont-buy-anyone-an…ter&utm_medium=socialflow
      amazon improved the speakers on the recently released 2nd generation echo.so i moved generation 1 to the bedroom and bought a new generation 2 for the living room.and if anyone feels moved to buy me a present -- i could use another one in the upstairs office. :)
      the echo 2 (alexa) is $99 at amazon.today only, ya get 2 alexa's for $100 at qvc.i intentionally copied elf's comment that alexa is invasive so he won't have to tell us again. :)
      Just a reminder to you all that the Echo is an insidious piece of invasive technology.
      gee elf, i was trying to save you the trouble. :) i love alexa! she plays taylor for me everytime i ask!

lol --- alexa knows which taylor to play!
      His music might be better, but Max's Taylor is definitely better looking. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • wow. regardless of your political leanings, this is obviously fake news.

on the front page usa today has a picture of kellyanne conway (trumps campaign manager and current advisor) with the caption "conway: trump administration is a dumpster fire".

so ya click on the link and you when you go to the article you learn that conway did in fact say that. george conway. her husband. not kelleyanne.

well, they got me to click on the article which i guess was their main objective.
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I would give you 100 upvotes if I could. James is my very favorite!!!!!

Astro wrote:

His music might be better, but Max's Taylor is definitely better looking. :)
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this beholder loves herself some James Taylor!!!

odd man out wrote:

Find someone with an Alexa and an answering machine on their phone. Call them when they are not home. When the answering machine picks up say "Alexa, buy me office furniture".
      Do you work for Steelcase? (I know you don't but maybe a family member does or you have stock in it-based on where you live)
    • well...i guess i'm in the minority -- i like hawaiian pizza; i think flavors of the ham and the pineapple compliment each other.

as far as the salad pizza -- that ain't no pizza. but...i eat a salad every day for lunch. and i look at that as a normal salad with the "bread" holding the salad instead of being on the side. so i'd try one of those for lunch and just consider it a different type of salad.
      2,000 miler
    • got an email from one of my deal sites; 32 pairs of boxer briefs for $30 at target.

my first thot was who in the world needs 32 pairs of underwear -- but then i realized it's a great first step towards moving to doing laundry on a monthly basis.

in the comments section someone wrote that "if your're eating at taco bell -- and you crap your pants while you're there -- at that price ya just throw the underwear away and don't worry about it". i just avoid eating at taco bell and don't worry about such matters. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

got an email from one of my deal sites; 32 pairs of boxer briefs for $30 at target.

my first thot was who in the world needs 32 pairs of underwear -- but then i realized it's a great first step towards moving to doing laundry on a monthly basis.

in the comments section someone wrote that "if your're eating at taco bell -- and you crap your pants while you're there -- at that price ya just throw the underwear away and don't worry about it". i just avoid eating at taco bell and don't worry about such matters. :)
      PooFan Cof124
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

...my first thot was who in the world needs 32 pairs of underwear -- but then i realized it's a great first step towards moving to doing laundry on a monthly basis....
      There's also the "Wear one pair of underwear for 32 days" strategy. Works for me!!!
      Then you could go almost 3 years without doing laundry. <X
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

...my first thot was who in the world needs 32 pairs of underwear -- but then i realized it's a great first step towards moving to doing laundry on a monthly basis....
      There's also the "Wear one pair of underwear for 32 days" strategy. Works for me!!!
      Then you could go almost 3 years without doing laundry. <X
      i don't think my closet can hold that many jeans.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

got an email from one of my deal sites; 32 pairs of boxer briefs for $30 at target.

I worked for Vought Aerospace in the early 1980's. There was another new-hire....he wore the SAME shirt everyday. He'd walk around spacing out, so we had lots of comments about his mom dressing him, never doing laundry. While at lunch one day, one of my co-workers came up and had asked him about his shirt. Like, did he wash it EVERY DAY? Or what (it was always clean and neat). He'd bought like 40 shirts, a BOX of them, on close-out at Sears. He then explained he also did the same with pants, underwear....everything. He then would wear half of them, filling trash bags with all the dirty clothes. 2X a month, he dropped it all off at the cleaners....He didn't wash any of it, someone else did. When he was down to like 4 shirts, he'd bag up the dirty, take those to the cleaners, pay for the prior batch.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • In the 1980's, when my brother was a young lazy bachelor, he discovered the discount rack at our local 'Caldors store.' Caldor was pretty cheap stuff to begin with, but the discount rack had the items that no one would buy. Rather than doing laundry, he just kept buying new, cheap clothes to wear. "When you are getting shirts and pants for a few dollars each, what's the point of laundry," he figured. These cloths were as ugly as hell, lots of dated disco looking polyester, but he did not seem to care. He would wear them only once or twice, then put them in contractor sized garbage bags, and store them in his basement. He would boast about how he had found a solution to the 'laundry problem'. He thought he was brilliant!

This went on for a number of years. Eventually his basement was overflowing with plastic bags full of clothes. Something had to be done with this mountain of dirty laundry. At the time my sister was a tenant in my brother's multifamily home. She couldn't pay the rent so he worked out a deal, she could skip a month's rent if she did all of his laundry. Game on!

My sister was doing laundry non-stop for the entire month and even then, she hardly put a dent in it. Eventually she had to give up. When the cloths that were cleaned were finally delivered to my brother, even he could not bring himself to wear these hideous things from another decade. In the end, most of the cloths, both cleaned and dirty, were picked up by Goodwill.

Eventually, my brother moved in with his girlfriend and she has been working on trying to get him to live like a normal human being. It is an ongoing project.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I worked for Vought Aerospace in the early 1980's. There was another new-hire....he wore the SAME shirt everyday. He'd walk around spacing out, so we had lots of comments about his mom dressing him, never doing laundry. While at lunch one day, one of my co-workers came up and had asked him about his shirt. Like, did he wash it EVERY DAY? Or what (it was always clean and neat). He'd bought like 40 shirts, a BOX of them, on close-out at Sears. He then explained he also did the same with pants, underwear....everything. He then would wear half of them, filling trash bags with all the dirty clothes. 2X a month, he dropped it all off at the cleaners....He didn't wash any of it, someone else did. When he was down to like 4 shirts, he'd bag up the dirty, take those to the cleaners, pay for the prior batch.....
      Sounds a lot like Monk. Except your coworker was in the real world instead of on TV. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

Commando.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Happy Thanksgiving, one and all. May your day be filled with whatever it is that brings you joy and reminds you of what you have to be thankful for.

And it just ain't Turkey Day without:

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • IMScotty wrote:

Listening to 'Alice's Restaurant' makes me thankful for my friends on the 'Group W' bench :)

Socks, where are you man? The bench is not the same without you :)
      On Thanksgiving we drove to Ohio to visit my son and his wife.
      I had the radio set to scan for quite a while in hopes of finding a station playing Alice's Restaurant, but no luck.
      In fact, it's been years since I've heard it played on Thanksgiving.
      On another note, Kathy and I used to get a yearly invite to Alice's Restaurant because of our VW bus.
      Arlo Guthrie sponsors a walk for some disease or another that starts there and goes for some miles as a means to raise money.
      VW buses shuttle the walkers back to the Church building where they started from.
    • in the car i love sirius sat radio, since it offers more focused music than terrestrial radio (and national as opposed to local talk radio). a must for anyone who takes long road trips.

at home, though, i use spotify as it will play genres, or songs by a particualar artist, or just an album by a particular artist, or just a song by a particular artist. and if ya have alexa you can play a song that you don't know who sung it or the name of song as long as you know some of the lyrics. just say: "alexa --play the song with the lyrics Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago" and before ya know it alices restaurant is playing.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

in the car i love sirius sat radio, since it offers more focused music than terrestrial radio (and national as opposed to local talk radio). a must for anyone who takes long road trips.
      I LOVE my Sirius/XM! Ozzy's Boneyard and Classic Rewind are sanity savers (well, what little I have left) on long trips, especially through the mountains. Of course there's also the phone with Amaon Music, but I love my Sirius!
    • Grinder wrote:

max.patch wrote:

in the car i love sirius sat radio, since it offers more focused music than terrestrial radio (and national as opposed to local talk radio). a must for anyone who takes long road trips.
      I LOVE my Sirius/XM! Ozzy's Boneyard and Classic Rewind are sanity savers (well, what little I have left) on long trips, especially through the mountains. Of course there's also the phone with Amaon Music, but I love my Sirius!
      i love the margaritaville channel (jimmy buffet) as they play a lot of old concerts. the last couple weeks i've spent a lot a lot of time on the beatles channel. someday...maybe just maybe...they'll crank up the taylor channel!!! and of course mad dog in the afternoons for sport talk.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Listening to 'Alice's Restaurant' makes me thankful for my friends on the 'Group W' bench :)

Socks, where are you man? The bench is not the same without you :)
      On Thanksgiving we drove to Ohio to visit my son and his wife.I had the radio set to scan for quite a while in hopes of finding a station playing Alice's Restaurant, but no luck.
      In fact, it's been years since I've heard it played on Thanksgiving.
      On another note, Kathy and I used to get a yearly invite to Alice's Restaurant because of our VW bus.
      Arlo Guthrie sponsors a walk for some disease or another that starts there and goes for some miles as a means to raise money.
      VW buses shuttle the walkers back to the Church building where they started from.
      In the summer of 2008, we were passing through Great Barrington on vacation. My wife has ancestors from that part of MA. We often plan vacations around family history sites. Since we were just around the corner, we decided to stop at the Alice's church (now The Guthrie Center). Here is my daughter posing for a photo-op. Don't recall what car we had back then, but it was not a VW Bus. May have been a Prius.

• Grinder wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Also love Sirius/XM, especially when traveling. Jump between MLB and sometimes FoxNews, and then Margaretaville and Tom Petty when I feel like music. If I tired of either of those Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind are next to Magaretaville. Made the 9 hours to NC, 9 hours to DC and 18 hours back (lot of wrecks and slow traffic Wednesday) much more pleasant. :thumbup: