Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

As quiet as this place has been this weekend, I hope it is because everyone was out hiking. :)
      grand niece wedding. who gets married on labor day weekend/college football opening weekend? I snuck out of the reception to return to hotel to catch alabama kickoff. brother said, now I know why you insisted on driving yourself. duh!

edit - oh yeah, the wedding was nice.
    • I too noticed that it was quiet. We've had a lot of thunderstors, so mostly it has been a food oriented holiday. Went out for Turkish food on Saturday (Adana Kebabs and mercemeck, soooooo good). Yesterday we went to a drug store that still has,a soda fountain in the back to get a cherry soda and tin roof sundae. Today I made Swedish pancakes and bacon for breakfast. Will grill steaks for dinner and take a walk at Hemlock Crossings if it stops raining.
    • I forgot, Friday was Southern night. I made buttermilk bicuits from scratch, buttermilk fried chicken, iced tea, and green beans. There were northern concessions however. I used boneless, skinless breasts instead of a whole chicken, the beans were not boiled until mushy, and the tea was not sweet. Sorry, but sweet tea is just evil.

• odd man out wrote:

I forgot, Friday was Southern night. I made buttermilk bicuits from scratch, buttermilk fried chicken, iced tea, and green beans. There were northern concessions however. I used boneless, skinless breasts instead of a whole chicken, the beans were not boiled until mushy, and the tea was not sweet. Sorry, but sweet tea is just evil.

sweet tea is evil only when yankees attempt to add the sugar to the cold tea at the table and think that'll work. it won't! sugar must added while the water is hot; i suggest approximately 30 teaspoons :) per 8 oz glass.

you can never have too much sugar; but you can have too little. so if in doubt -- add more.

i do agree with your observation that we don't know how to make green beans properly.

i also use boneless skinless breasts if i don't have any boneless skinless thighs in the house. i think thats more of health thing rather than a northern/southern thing.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• i went for a 5 mile hike on saturday to test how my back is progressing and quit after 4 miles. becasue of my knee.

i made it the full 5 miles today; but the knee is still an issue. i can't believe i'm gonna need knee surgery before back surgery. :(

sunday a new brewery a couple blocks off the marietta square had an unannounced opening in advance of this thursdays announced opening. no food :( but this will a nice addition to the square. i'm not a big drinker but i do enjoy one (that's almost always my limit) well made craft beer.

i'm not a collector, or have tchotchkes around the house, but i've decided to buy a glass from every brew pub i go to. well, up to 8. gotta have glasses in the house anyway. i've also thrown away those boring coffe cups that come with place settings and am replacing them with coffee cups from the AT which i only can buy in person from a store that is on or in a trail town. that might take a while.

here's what i got so far:
      2,000 miler
    • SAWHeeet Tea, done RIGHT.....good stuff. Don't like it? Fine....more for those who appreciate it.
      Had some BBQ brisket taco's last night. Good stuff.
      I hiked my regular 8 miles on Sunday. Did a hammock suspension test last night (mosquitoes bit me.....) and today it is RAINING! In North Texas! In SUMMER!
      I went to the gym today....did weights and 130 flights on the evil stair stepper.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • i don't like golf.

i hate tiger woods.

at whatever tourney is going on today a tiger woods doppleganger was in the gallery. looked like him. dressed like him -- even down to the tiger woods ballcap and last day red shirt. and in the picture below (no video posted yet) he has his hand stuck out hoping for a fist bump or some type of recognition -- but of course woods ignored him. walked right by him. no nod, no eye contact, no nothing. i'm sure someone will post a video soon; it tells the story more than the picture.

pbs.twimg.com/media/DmMOwWJU8AAEYlo.jpg
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't like golf.

i hate tiger woods.

at whatever tourney is going on today a tiger woods doppleganger was in the gallery. looked like him. dressed like him -- even down to the tiger woods ballcap and last day red shirt. and in the picture below (no video posted yet) he has his hand stuck out hoping for a fist bump or some type of recognition -- but of course woods ignored him. walked right by him. no nod, no eye contact, no nothing. i'm sure someone will post a video soon; it tells the story more than the picture.

pbs.twimg.com/media/DmMOwWJU8AAEYlo.jpg
      I liked your post at "I don't like golf" Not liking Tiger is icing on the cake.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • So to wrap upy Labor Day food blog we grilled steaks. Except my grill ran out of propane halfway through so I had to finish them in the skillet. Gave the opportunity to finish them with a splash of cognac from Khazakstan. That I even have a bottle of Khazak cognac is due to a rather odd circumstance. Accompanied by a pinotage from South Africa.
    • Astro wrote:

As quiet as this place has been this weekend, I hope it is because everyone was out hiking. :)
      Headed to the beach. Gonna drink golden beverages, smoke a couple ceegars, ride my bike about a zillion times through the campground, and maybe do a little boogie boarding.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

So to wrap upy Labor Day food blog we grilled steaks. Except my grill ran out of propane halfway through so I had to finish them in the skillet. Gave the opportunity to finish them with a splash of cognac from Khazakstan. That I even have a bottle of Khazak cognac is due to a rather odd circumstance. Accompanied by a pinotage from South Africa.
      I got tired of running out of propane when using those little 20lb cylinders grilling, so I hooked the grill directly up to the 420lb house tank. Found out yesterday that someone had left one of the burners on...since monday.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • max.patch wrote:

RIP burt.

He was good example of how to redirect your career after the auto accident ended his football future and he switched to acting. Some of his later years were not so great, but he certainly enjoyed a lot of success earlier (1970-80s).

As for Deliverance a woman I knew (since passed on) once lived in one of the houses used at the beginning of the movie.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Our local news was dominated by another celebrity death. Richard DeVos died at age 92. Yif you havent heard of him, you possibly know of the major corporation he founded, Amway. Or maybe you know of his daughter in law, Betsey DeVos. Or maybe you know him as the owner of the Miami Magic NBA team. At one time he was one of the wealthiest people in the US, although he gave away much of his money to support the local community. Just about everything in this city is named for DeVos.
    • odd man out wrote:

Our local news was dominated by another celebrity death. Richard DeVos died at age 92. Yif you havent heard of him, you possibly know of the major corporation he founded, Amway. Or maybe you know of his daughter in law, Betsey DeVos. Or maybe you know him as the owner of the Miami Magic NBA team. At one time he was one of the wealthiest people in the US, although he gave away much of his money to support the local community. Just about everything in this city is named for DeVos.
      I believe he owned the Orlando Magic.

When I worked in China the public trash cans all had Amway written on them.
    • max.patch wrote:

i somehow missed the connection between him and his daughter in law.

i read somewhere where someone said (obviously tongue in check) that his casket would be carried by 6 pallbearers, who would be carried by 12 pallbearers, who would be carried by 24 pallbearers...
      I bet there are tons of people from the bottom of the pyramid who aren't at all upset at his death.
    • max.patch wrote:

i read somewhere where someone said (obviously tongue in check) that his casket would be carried by 6 pallbearers, who would be carried by 12 pallbearers, who would be carried by 24 pallbearers...

chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I bet there are tons of people from the bottom of the pyramid who aren't at all upset at his death.
      Hey pyramids work, it is like real estate: location, location, location. You just want to be as close to the top as you can.
    • LW's favorite group, the drive by truckers, are gonna be at my favorite venue in atlanta for a concert, the variety theater, for two nites later this month.

unfortunately i'll be soaking up the sun in tucson when they are here. i'd like to see what the hype is all about. and i know LW wants to buy me a beer. :) it's been a while since i've had a pabst.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• odd man out wrote:

it seems she went ballistic because she was penalized for having her coach use hand signals from the stands. After the match the coach admitted that he in fact was doing this. She was then penalized for throwing her raquette, which she did. Then she was penalized for verbally abusing the umpire, which she did.
      so...you're sayin she was framed? :)
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

it seems she went ballistic because she was penalized for having her coach use hand signals from the stands. After the match the coach admitted that he in fact was doing this. She was then penalized for throwing her raquette, which she did. Then she was penalized for verbally abusing the umpire, which she did.
      I guess when you believe the world revolves around you, justice and fairness are foreign concepts. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

so...you're sayin she was framed? :)
      Perhaps in her distorted mind.
    • Didn't know where to put this, so here I am.
      I'm suffering from a severe case of Nature Deficit disorder.
      I haven't been out in the woods for a good hike since, since, well maybe since January.
      I've only got 1 night in the tent after MLK 2018
      I'm really missing it all, a lot.
      Now that I've got weekends off from work it seems like we've got so many things scheduled for Sat. and Sun. that we never have a chance to escape to the woods. ;(
    • LIhikers wrote:

Didn't know where to put this, so here I am.
      I'm suffering from a severe case of Nature Deficit disorder.
      I haven't been out in the woods for a good hike since, since, well maybe since January.
      I've only got 1 night in the tent after MLK 2018
      I'm really missing it all, a lot.
      Now that I've got weekends off from work it seems like we've got so many things scheduled for Sat. and Sun. that we never have a chance to escape to the woods. ;(
      We did go car camping one weekend and had a three day trip to Glacier NP, but stayed in the lodge and only took short day hikes. Somehow, not quite the same as backpacking, which I haven't done this year. Weekends are likewise always booked it seems. I did an early October weekend overnight on the NCT a couple of years ago. I should check the calendar to see if that might work again.