Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dan76 wrote:

One of my skiing buddies reported cars bearing ToTs from outside his neighborhood lined the street. As he lives in a slightly more affluent locale, I assume their treats are more generous. I had 11 groups of ToTs this pm, which was a pain as it meant I missed most of the scoring in Game 6.
      This seems to be the way things are going, neighborhoods either celebrate or they don't. My old neighborhood seemed to get 3/4 of the population of the our futy trick or treating, all shipped in via accompanying mini-van. We'd buy about $100 worth of costco Halloween candy and then shut off the lights when it ran out, usually half-way through the ToT'ers. I'm now on a private road and we stopped buying candy after nobody knocked on the door for 3 years in a row.

Now we go to a friend's house to ToT his very walkable neighborhood with my Son. My buddy gave out 850 pieces of candy at his house (either 1 or 2 pieces per kid) in 2.5 hours.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

One of my skiing buddies reported cars bearing ToTs from outside his neighborhood lined the street. As he lives in a slightly more affluent locale, I assume their treats are more generous. I had 11 groups of ToTs this pm, which was a pain as it meant I missed most of the scoring in Game 6.
      This seems to be the way things are going, neighborhoods either celebrate or they don't. My old neighborhood seemed to get 3/4 of the population of the our futy trick or treating, all shipped in via accompanying mini-van. We'd buy about $100 worth of costco Halloween candy and then shut off the lights when it ran out, usually half-way through the ToT'ers. I'm now on a private road and we stopped buying candy after nobody knocked on the door for 3 years in a row.
      Now we go to a friend's house to ToT his very walkable neighborhood with my Son. My buddy gave out 850 pieces of candy at his house (either 1 or 2 pieces per kid) in 2.5 hours.
      We on a dead end cul-de-sac that connects to a major road with no houses. Thus very few Halloween visitors. But looking out our back window I can see the street behind us (not connected to our street) is swamped with kids. We buy a small bowl of candy to hand out to the few that come by and I eat the rest. Not a bad deal.
    • odd man out wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

This seems to be the way things are going, neighborhoods either celebrate or they don't. My old neighborhood seemed to get 3/4 of the population of the our futy trick or treating, all shipped in via accompanying mini-van. We'd buy about $100 worth of costco Halloween candy and then shut off the lights when it ran out, usually half-way through the ToT'ers. I'm now on a private road and we stopped buying candy after nobody knocked on the door for 3 years in a row.Now we go to a friend's house to ToT his very walkable neighborhood with my Son. My buddy gave out 850 pieces of candy at his house (either 1 or 2 pieces per kid) in 2.5 hours.
      We on a dead end cul-de-sac that connects to a major road with no houses. Thus very few Halloween visitors. But looking out our back window I can see the street behind us (not connected to our street) is swamped with kids. We buy a small bowl of candy to hand out to the few that come by and I eat the rest. Not a bad deal.
      I have a dead end at the end of my street, but before that is an intersecting street, rather than come down my street kids seem to opt for the more direct route by not coming down my street.
    • We live on a flat one mile loop at the top of a hill in a plan of 128 homes. We buy 250 snack size, one apiece and never make the whole 2 hours of official Trick or Treat. Kids from the rural area aound us get trucked in for the event. I can't complain too loud because as a kid, I used to stay at friends house in a neighborhood instead of down on the farm!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

We live on a flat one mile loop at the top of a hill in a plan of 128 homes. We buy 250 snack size, one apiece and never make the whole 2 hours of official Trick or Treat. Kids from the rural area aound us get trucked in for the event. I can't complain too loud because as a kid, I used to stay at friends house in a neighborhood instead of down on the farm!
      I don’t blame ya, farmland sounds like one piece per mile...hardly enough calories to get back home. :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Tried to fix my glasses...couldn’t see a bloody thing!

they're ambidextrous!
      I use to be able to tie a #32 fly on a line, steam side at 10 o’clock at night balancing on a mossy boluder...can’t see fur Shyte anymore. Hell gettin’ old. :(
      Getting old, unfortunately I think most of us can relate.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

they're ambidextrous!
      I use to be able to tie a #32 fly on a line, steam side at 10 o’clock at night balancing on a mossy boluder...can’t see fur Shyte anymore. Hell gettin’ old. :(
      Sure beats the alternative!
      Good point!
    • Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

they're ambidextrous!
      I refuse to go there.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

they're ambidextrous!
      I refuse to go there.
      Cof124
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

they're ambidextrous!
      I refuse to go there.
      I'm actually enjoying getting old. Oh sure, there's plenty of aches and pains, and I get up during the night to make a trip to the bathroom, but, I find I'm developing a whole new attitude of gratitude on life. I can see how all the things that happened along the way in life (good and bad) have gotten me to the point in life where I am now and I like it. I'm starting to think about doing the things on my bucket list, things which many people I know think are crazy. I'd guess that many of you can appreciate the fact that I want to hike to my son's house in Ohio, from New York, or that I'd like to ride my bicycle across the country, and of course I want to finish the Appalachian Trail and more...... Yep, being a senior citizen isn't all bad.
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Started making tortillas soup from the turkey stock only to find I’m outta corn tortillas...so now I’m making some tortillas...ugh!
      Look at the bright side, at least you know how to make them. And then you get to eat fresh ones. :)
      Yes contrary what some may think I can’t spell, but reading has never been an issue. :D

2 cups Meseca (nixtamalated corn flour)
      1 3/4 cups warm Aqua
      Mix, press, cook...enjoy!
    • We had turkey soup for supper. My father is a child of the depression so nothing is to be wasted. If he ever found out I threw out a turkey carcass without making soup from it, I'd never hear the end of it. I usually have a chunk of rutabaga in the fridge for making pasties. That was a nice addition to the "normal" vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, potatoes). Also if you can get Essenhaus Amish Noodles, they are great for noodle soups.

• odd man out wrote:

We had turkey soup for supper. My father is a child of the depression so nothing is to be wasted. If he ever found out I threw out a turkey carcass without making soup from it, I'd never hear the end of it. I usually have a chunk of rutabaga in the fridge for making pasties. That was a nice addition to the "normal" vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, potatoes). Also if you can get Essenhaus Amish Noodles, they are great for noodle soups.

You had me at Pasties, love me some hand pie’s...recipe?
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Not much of a recipe, really. Make a basic pie crust. I figure 1/2 cup flour per pasty cut into 1/3 that amount of lard. Just enough water to form a ball. Roll out on floured surface, transfer to a dinner plate for filling. Put filling on on half, fold other half over. Trim dough to edge of plate and fold over edges to seal. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. For the filling mix diced potatoes, carrots, onions, and rutabagas with ground beef (or hand chopped steak - even better), salt and pepper. It's better if the meat isn't too lean. A bit a fat keeps them from being too dry.

The carrots are controversial. You can go into a bar in the UP of MI and start an argument about carrots in pasties. The Finns add carrots. The Cornish don't. I'm a Swede and that's a lot closer to Finland, so I add carrots. Also there is a condiment debate. While most pasty shops will sell brown gravy, a real Yooper eats them with ketchup. The gravy is just for Trolls (get it - someone from "below" the bridge, i.e. non-Yoopers). At many pasty shops you can order them "wit" or "widout", that is with or without rutabagas. Some people just don't like rutabagas. I obviously make them wit. After all, in England, a rutabaga is called a swede and I'm a Swede.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Started making tortillas soup from the turkey stock only to find I’m outta corn tortillas...so now I’m making some tortillas...ugh!
      Look at the bright side, at least you know how to make them. And then you get to eat fresh ones. :)
      Yes contrary what some may think I can’t spell, but reading has never been an issue. :D
      2 cups Meseca (nixtamalated corn flour)
      1 3/4 cups warm Aqua
      Mix, press, cook...enjoy!
      And all this time, I thought your spelling technique was indicative of New Jersey. :)

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Not much of a recipe, really. Make a basic pie crust. I figure 1/2 cup flour per pasty cut into 1/3 that amount of lard. Just enough water to form a ball. Roll out on floured surface, transfer to a dinner plate for filling. Put filling on on half, fold other half over. Trim dough to edge of plate and fold over edges to seal. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. For the filling mix diced potatoes, carrots, onions, and rutabagas with ground beef (or hand chopped steak - even better), salt and pepper. It's better if the meat isn't too lean. A bit a fat keeps them from being too dry.
      The carrots are controversial. You can go into a bar in the UP of MI and start an argument about carrots in pasties. The Finns add carrots. The Cornish don't. I'm a Swede and that's a lot closer to Finland, so I add carrots. Also there is a condiment debate. While most pasty shops will sell brown gravy, a real Yooper eats them with ketchup. The gravy is just for Trolls (get it - someone from "below" the bridge, i.e. non-Yoopers). At many pasty shops you can order them "wit" or "widout", that is with or without rutabagas. Some people just don't like rutabagas. I obviously make them wit. After all, in England, a rutabaga is called a swede and I'm a Swede.
      I’ll take mine wit, carrots and brown gravy...ah, what the hell, throw sum ketchup on there too!