Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

CoachLou wrote:

Drinkin' out of a Mason jar goes good with checkers. What's the fastest game you've ever seen?

Every game I ever played with my Grandfather when I was 7 or 8. He never let me win a game. He could be the south end of a horse headed north ( a NOBO and I did not even know it.) at the drop of a hat. And from what I remember at Fort Leonard Wood in the early 70's that clear liquid from a mason jar was pretty tasty. Rolls[/quote]

You an Engineer Rolls?[/quote]

I was a diddy bopper. Now a number cruncher. Rolls
      Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill.

DeerHunter wrote:

aficion wrote:

Couldn't be better. Thanks. We are going to get up with HM soon. I feel it comin'. Maybe we should ride down to Damascus and get some huggin done?

Myself, HM, Teacher and Snacktime are planning to do a hike down near the James River sometime next spring. May probably. You will have to join us. It will be great.

We're heading your way from Damascus at the end of trail days DH....we're hoping to hike with you guys then.....we have 3-4 days to spend in central/northern VA, so we're all yours!

milkman wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i dunno what do the rest of you fuckers think?

I think this means we can swear? :lol:

You might be on to something there.

Really, it was just a freakin' hunch. :woohoo:
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Hikermom wrote:

Oh Hey MD... sorry I missed seeing this, thank you DH for the heads up. I don't know what I would do without my buddy.
      It's easy to do an out and back to include McAfee Knob, MD. Just park at Rt. 311. Go up and beyond McAfee heading NOBO- Campbell Shelter is the one beyond the Knob heading North.

You could spend the night near that shelter or you could head back to one of the shelters you will pass by going up to the Knob. It's up to you...

MD... that's so cool that you will be coming to hike this weekend. They are calling for possible sleet/freezing rain early Sunday morning. Just a heads up for ya weather wise. Tomorrow looks good.

I would love to meet you, if you have the time. I'll have to PM you my cell # just in case.
      Sorry, I missed this MD. FYI... I'm really bad about keeping up with all these threads. I will apologize in advance for not seeing posts to me. I love y'all and would never not respond to ya on purpose. I just can't keep up with it all. :oops: *hugs* :cheer:

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how long I'll be there... I'm only committed to a few hours tomorrow. If I do hike it will be Sunday afternoon until Monday morning. Looks like I'm just driving down with my bag and playing it by ear. :)

milkman wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Good to know ATM... I've been wondering about you and your knees. Happy to hear this good news!

Thanks HM. The surgeon said she was being totally honest in saying what I was looking for in a
      bi-lateral TKR just wasn't gonna happen, that there were surgeons out there that would promise me the sun the stars and the moon and would gladly do it just to get the job but no matter what I have been told either by them or people that have had it done and said they are hiking like when they were 19, I was gonna sacrifice some mobility and flexibility. She said try this and save the operation for later in life if necessary. She said she seriously doubts 22-26 mile days but sees no reason why I wont be able to do 8 -12 with an occasional 16. You and I know 12's will get 'er done.

ATM, 6 months at 12mpd will get er done.
      Although you might want to get a little above the average in the middle to make it a little easier on the home stretch (assuming NOBO).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

DeerHunter wrote:

Rifle/shotgun runs Nov 20th-Dec10th. In reality I only have Saturday Morning and Monday left to try and get something. Right now I have an empty chest freezer that I'm not too happy about.

I'm lucky to have the places to hunt that I have. I lease two pieces of private land. Deer on Govt. land are scarce around here anymore. Lots of people I have talked to haven't hardly seen anything. I have been hunting the one farm for about 10 years now. It took a while but it's just me and one of my buddies that hunt there now. We think and hunt alike. It's great.[/quote]

During my 4 days in mid-October I saw plenty between Pearisburg and Newport, VA.

Astro wrote:

Although you might want to get a little above the average in the middle to make it a little easier on the home stretch (assuming NOBO).

That's what I'm thinkin'. Gonna take what it gives me. Even if I have to settle for sectioning. I just want to see it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

CoachLou wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Not sure where details are as it seems from comments that they are posted somewhere but can someone tell me exact dates of the winter hike (Harriman?) that some of you are doing?
      I am thinking it would be a cool idea to do an overnight hike on the Bibbulmun at the same time and compare notes afterward.

Trip Report...........OZ/ IM sweating 20 bullets

HB Cafe' freezing ass off.

Respectfully submitted by CoachLou

It is even below freezing with ice and snow here in AR. Had to park a vehicle 2 miles down hill so I could take my son to and from work today. Will have walk 6 miles today and then another 4 tomorrow. As least I am getting some exercise out of it, but I would prefer to not have the snow and ice.

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

That's what I'm thinkin'. Gonna take what it gives me. Even if I have to settle for sectioning. I just want to see it.

Yeah, I would love to do a Thru, but just making the most of long sections now. With 4-6 weeks the next 3 years I should have it done. Then eventually maybe a Thru (youngest of 4 children only in 7th grade), or just go and do different sections that I want.

We're heading your way from Damascus at the end of trail days DH....we're hoping to hike with you guys then.....we have 3-4 days to spend in central/northern VA, so we're all yours![/quote]

Great. Looking forward to yours and Snacktimes' return visit.

Astro wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

Yeah, I would love to do a Thru, but just making the most of long sections now. With 4-6 weeks the next 3 years I should have it done. Then eventually maybe a Thru (youngest of 4 children only in 7th grade), or just go and do different sections that I want.
      Karma sent your way for being a good Dad and getting the kids to work...many would have bailed on that .

Astro wrote:

DeerHunter wrote:

Rifle/shotgun runs Nov 20th-Dec10th. In reality I only have Saturday Morning and Monday left to try and get something. Right now I have an empty chest freezer that I'm not too happy about.

I'm lucky to have the places to hunt that I have. I lease two pieces of private land. Deer on Govt. land are scarce around here anymore. Lots of people I have talked to haven't hardly seen anything. I have been hunting the one farm for about 10 years now. It took a while but it's just me and one of my buddies that hunt there now. We think and hunt alike. It's great.

During my 4 days in mid-October I saw plenty between Pearisburg and Newport, VA.[/quote]

Hmmmmmm................Maybe the deer are just getting scarce around my area, on govt. property at least.

RS, thanks for the Karma!
      Just trying to teach them how to work and responsibility. I am surprised how many hours it takes to close a McDonald's. But at least they are letting me wait inside.

I agree, Great Job!

DeerHunter wrote:

Just want to thank the guys/gals that are responsible for helping bring us this great place to hang out. I have missed the good ole days of the cafe. Happy days are here again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUabzkAjBQ

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

When you get closer to the day ATM I can help with "special" tips on making the hike easier.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

When you get closer to the day ATM I can help with "special" tips on making the hike easier.
      ;)

Oz....when you gettin' those LASHer stickers made for the Subarus?! 49
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: