Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Happy Thanksgiving

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rain, snow, and ice made made our trip home an 11 hour drive. It didn't help that we got a little off course in both Ohio and New Jersey. Glad to be home, sitting still, and safe and sound. And I'm thankful to have seen our son, his wife, and her family. He's lucky, he got nice in-laws.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rain, snow, and ice made made our trip home an 11 hour drive. It didn't help that we got a little off course in both Ohio and New Jersey. Glad to be home, sitting still, and safe and sound. And I'm thankful to have seen our son, his wife, and her family. He's lucky, he got nice in-laws.
      I am sure his wife's family feels the same. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

Dreading the family Thanksgiving dinner
      Thank you for revisiting this thread. I truly enjoyed reading what I wrote 5 years ago (before Mom passed).

odd man out wrote:

We go to a friend's house for Thanksgiving every year. Each person in the group gets a cooking assignment. Every year I am required to bring the stuffing and pecan pie. For the stuffing recipe I just improvise. For the pie, I have for decades made this one, which is probably the best pecan pie recipe on the planet.
      After my sister refused (about 6 or 7 years ago) to allow me to take a turn hosting Thanksgiving (long story that evidences that she might be somewhat narcissistic; but she's a Wolverine so not surprising), we have celebrated Thanksgiving with my daughter and her husband in Chicago. The four of us all make something but for the last 2 years, one thing is bought and that is a Chocolate Pecan Pie from Bang Bang Pie. Ummmm, so gosh darn delicious!

I always make Green Bean Casserole and take turns with my daughter making something with cranberries; I prefer cranberry jello salad (w/ cream cheese balls, orange pieces and walnuts) while she prefers a cranberry sauce with a red liqueur (can't remember the name). I also have always made something with sweet potatoes or acorn squash but this year I made Honey Roasted Root Vegetables. When I was staying with my daughter taking care of her after her ACL replacement surgery in September, I asked her what she wanted for dinner about 6:15 one evening. She immediately went on the internet and came up with this recipe. Well, she didn't have most of the ingredients and it was too late to go to the store and make it so I did so the next day. It was a hit with my daughter, son-in-law and me so when I returned home, I made it for my husband and he loved it. When I was putting together the menu and assignments for purchasing ingredients and making the dishes for Thanksgiving, my husband said "you're going to make the roasted root vegetables, aren't you?" So, of course, I did. And from now on, it will be a required dish, we all like it so much and it goes very well with the rest of the menu. Here's the recipe in case you are interested (along with my comments :)
      Roasted Root Vegetables.docx

The post was edited 2 times, last by Trillium ().

• LIhikers wrote:

All this talk about cranberries was the reason I put dried cranberries in my oatmeal this morning,. hmmm good. Thanks
      Personally I enjoy them more dried in oatmeal or trail mix than the traditional Thanksgiving gel. I also like the juice which is supposed to be good for you.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General