Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

January 2015 Early AT Start (NOBO)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I saw some nano spikes recently, your thoughts/opinion?

kahtoola.com/product/nanospikes/

They look like what you'd want for running on icy pavement. They don't look as if they'd stand up to rock. I'm not a runner, so can't advise, but I see a lot of runners around here wearing Stabilicers. Some people wear the more aggressive ones on the trail. They're ok, I guess, and lighter than microspikes, but you need to carry spare cleats and a tool to insert them.

Or you could make screw shoes. Do not wear them indoors if you value your floor.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I tried to hike from Erwin to Hot Springs last December. The trail looked like Laurie's pictures in a lot of places. I don't remember how many times I fell my second day, but it was a lot. During the middle of the night I woke up with a lot of pain. It hurt from my waist to my toes and walking was close to impossible. I was able to get in about three miles or so and came across Jerry Cabin shelter. The Cleaner had just been up there and had enough wood cut to last a few months. So I started a fire in the shelter and hung my tarp up to keep the heat. It got down to 15* outside the shelter. Around 60* inside the shelter.

The next day was a hard one too. It took all day to get to the towers where I could bail out at California fields. .. I made it to hemlock hollow and got a shuttle to hot springs for my car.

In the morning I went to the ortho and ended up having a jammed hip. I hate crutches but had to use them for two months.

Before I go and attempt a winter hike again, I'll be wearing some kind of spikes. Not sure which ones yet. I'll start a new thread on the subject so everyone can chime in on the preferred model they use.
    • Dmax wrote:

I tried to hike from Erwin to Hot Springs last December. The trail looked like Laurie's pictures in a lot of places. I don't remember how many times I fell my second day, but it was a lot. During the middle of the night I woke up with a lot of pain. It hurt from my waist to my toes and walking was close to impossible. I was able to get in about three miles or so and came across Jerry Cabin shelter. The Cleaner had just been up there and had enough wood cut to last a few months. So I started a fire in the shelter and hung my tarp up to keep the heat. It got down to 15* outside the shelter. Around 60* inside the shelter.

The next day was a hard one too. It took all day to get to the towers where I could bail out at California fields. .. I made it to hemlock hollow and got a shuttle to hot springs for my car.

In the morning I went to the ortho and ended up having a jammed hip. I hate crutches but had to use them for two months.

Before I go and attempt a winter hike again, I'll be wearing some kind of spikes. Not sure which ones yet. I'll start a new thread on the subject so everyone can chime in on the preferred model they use.

Dmax, thanks for sharing.
      You have experience, and now the rest of us have wisdom.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I saw some nano spikes recently, your thoughts/opinion?

kahtoola.com/product/nanospikes/

They look like what you'd want for running on icy pavement. They don't look as if they'd stand up to rock. I'm not a runner, so can't advise, but I see a lot of runners around here wearing Stabilicers. Some people wear the more aggressive ones on the trail. They're ok, I guess, and lighter than microspikes, but you need to carry spare cleats and a tool to insert them.

Or you could make screw shoes. Do not wear them indoors if you value your floor.

I'm not running very much these days. It sounds like microspikes is what I need for hiking.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I have not thru-hiked, and I have done very little hiking in January. I have spent a night on the AT just north of Pearisburg, VA in February, with 15*F temperatures, brutal wind, and ice crystals forming on the outside of my sleeping bag.

You could probably do a thru-hike in fewer days and enjoy it more during the more temperate season, unless you really hate crowds and bugs. I expect you will carry more gear and food leaving in January. There is more clothing and a heavier sleeping bag to deal with the temperatures, and special gear to travel safely through snow and ice. I carried and used about twice as much fuel on my November section hike in NY and CT as I did on my PA section hike. You will need to eat more calories to stay warm and have the energy to hike through ice and snow. You will need more batteries for your headlamp if you make up for the shorter hours of daylight by night hiking.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I started Feb 2 or so in 2014 and actually completed my thru. AFAIK there are only 2 other guys (hudson + dacota joe) that started early and completed their trip as well.

Thought it was a good idea to start early and beat the crowd. It's not though.

Here are some reasons for the southern states:
      - Heavy loads, you will carry almost twice as much weight as a mid march starter
      - It will be brutally cold as soon as you make it to North Carolina
      - GSMNP will be a pain to hike through, due to heavy snow load
      - Lots of downtime in hostels/hotels because of storms and whatnot -> expensive
      - Terrible hiker infrastructure as most hostels only open in march
      - Terrible hiking conditions in the snow. You can lose the trail and end up being screwed (had to use maps+compass myself)

As you move on, you will also realize:
      - Loneliness because no one is around
      - You will need more food to sustain your weight/body
      - No ponies in Roan Oak (Most likely)
      - No green trees/flowers up to PA or further
      - Loads of Black flies up north
      - Fast Mid-March hikers catching up to you

Also consider that you are going north. So it feels like you are running away from warmer temperatures.

Can you do it? I did it. Lots of other people did it. Would I do it again? Hell no!
      I know you probably think your idea is great. In fact I wanted to start early Jan 2014 myself. Today after my Thru I'm glad people talked me out of it...

My advice: Start mid-late April, go crazy light, burst through the bubble and enjoy a fast, light, convenient (think infrastructure) and warm(!) hike.

All the best
      Phil