Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Watchya doing for Christmas?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hanging at home as opposed to last year when I was in New England surprising people.
      :)
      Glad you did what you did last year. Gave me a chance to meet you & Annie, Army Ant. Got to catch up with Hikerboy & Coach, Can't forget Overload & finally getting to try her cheesecake! And spend New Years with a bunch of great friends. gif.014.gif
      That sure was alot of fun on our side!!!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I played piano for the youth group yesterday, sang in choir this evening, am doing techie stuff for the young people's choir tonight, and then back to singing Christmas morning. Only busier time is Easter.

Then on Boxing Day I make a road trip to see my brother, and then the regular choir schedule Sunday. I might just sleep all day Monday.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I played piano for the youth group yesterday, sang in choir this evening, am doing techie stuff for the young people's choir tonight, and then back to singing Christmas morning. Only busier time is Easter.

Then on Boxing Day I make a road trip to see my brother, and then the regular choir schedule Sunday. I might just sleep all day Monday.
      At least you got variety there to go with your many talents! :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Wooooo! The pot got up to $23 before my son jumped on it and let us zap him with the executioner pro, lol. Good times!
      laymen's terms?
      Google "executioner pro"..... :D It's a battery powered Bub zapper shaped like a tennis racket, lol
      In other words...how rednecks celebrate Christmas. :D
      Si, lol
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • 6 miles at the mountain, although when i hit the fork in the road i wimped out and went around the mountain instead of up and over it. lot of trail runners out. beat the rain - which wasn't supposed to come until 9 or so - by about 10 minutes. noticed that both waffle houses i passed on the drive to/from the trailhead were packed. waffle house is awesome.
      2,000 miler
    • Boxing Day.
      Thank goodness it's cold enough early to burn the wrapping paper.
      Weather improved. Today will be fine and sunny. Low 80's. Pretty damn perfect actually.
      Survived all those crappy Christmas movies on TV for another year.
      Happy New Year mode kicking in.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • max.patch wrote:

6 miles at the mountain, although when i hit the fork in the road i wimped out and went around the mountain instead of up and over it. lot of trail runners out. beat the rain - which wasn't supposed to come until 9 or so - by about 10 minutes. noticed that both waffle houses i passed on the drive to/from the trailhead were packed. waffle house is awesome.
      At Christmas dinner today wife and children were remembering the Christmas day they were traveling and the only open was a Waffle House. I enjoy WH, but today's meal was definitely better!
    • OzJacko wrote:

Boxing Day.
      Thank goodness it's cold enough early to burn the wrapping paper.
      Weather improved. Today will be fine and sunny. Low 80's. Pretty damn perfect actually.
      Survived all those crappy Christmas movies on TV for another year.
      Happy New Year mode kicking in.
      Boxing Day....what is that? You build a big fire and burn all the wrapping and boxes?
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • OzJacko wrote:

Not sure. For 59 years I have had Christmas day followed by Boxing Day.
      Both are public holidays here. :thumbsup:
      Perhaps it is where you put your old stuff in boxes to take to GoodWill for that last tax deduction before the end of the year, and to make room for the new stuff you just got. :D
    • Messing with a Yamaha keyboard. Just something I've thought of doing for a long time. Always wanted to play an instrument, and these days I have lots of time to practice and learn.

Weather's been amazingly (record-setting-ly) warm and today would have been a good day for a hike, sunny all day. Weekend hikes in the Whites should resume shortly.

Not a flake of real snow yet this winter. After last winter, I don't think it would be prudent to complain. But it's weird, I'm telling you.
    • Wanna make God laugh? Tell him your plans.

While driving to church for midnight services Christmas Eve, I noticed the symptoms of a torn retina. (A new bunch of floaters in my vision, and flashes of light in my peripheral vision.)

I had laser surgery for it on Boxing Day. Fortunately, the ophthalmologist says that I caught it in time, and there should be no permanent loss of vision, God willing.

Not out of the woods yet - I'm at very high risk for another tear - but I'm so glad to be living in the 21st century. I can remember watching an auntie descend inexorably into blindness for the same condition, because (circa 1980) there was nothing that could be done. Now the operation is an outpatient procedure in a doctor's office.

Public Service Announcement - If you notice a cascade of new floaters, or flashes of light in your vision, get to an ophthalmologist IMMEDIATELY. (I couldn't contact one, so I went to an ER, and that's appropriate.) These symptoms are a medical emergency, and prompt action could save your eyesight. A torn retina doesn't hurt - the retina has no nerves that sense pain. "I see light that isn't there" is the only way that it has of calling for help.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Wanna make God laugh? Tell him your plans.

While driving to church for midnight services Christmas Eve, I noticed the symptoms of a torn retina. (A new bunch of floaters in my vision, and flashes of light in my peripheral vision.)

I had laser surgery for it on Boxing Day. Fortunately, the ophthalmologist says that I caught it in time, and there should be no permanent loss of vision, God willing.

Not out of the woods yet - I'm at very high risk for another tear - but I'm so glad to be living in the 21st century. I can remember watching an auntie descend inexorably into blindness for the same condition, because (circa 1980) there was nothing that could be done. Now the operation is an outpatient procedure in a doctor's office.

Public Service Announcement - If you notice a cascade of new floaters, or flashes of light in your vision, get to an ophthalmologist IMMEDIATELY. (I couldn't contact one, so I went to an ER, and that's appropriate.) These symptoms are a medical emergency, and prompt action could save your eyesight. A torn retina doesn't hurt - the retina has no nerves that sense pain. "I see light that isn't there" is the only way that it has of calling for help.
      Glad you able to address it quickly, and praying for a speedy recovery.
    • Glad you got it fixed in time. I have been to the eye foc yhree times for floaters and flashes but so far no tears. Just the shrinkage of the back part of my eye. PVD I think he called it. I only notice the floaters looking at the dumb computer screen.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have had that happen. My right eye retina spontaneously separated from the back of my eye. Unfortunately, the company I was working for required I talk to a primary care doctor, this was back about 1997, first.

The dumb doctor thought his flu patients were more important. I did get into surgery, some 16 hours after I noticed the problem. And indeed, there was no pain.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Wanna make God laugh? Tell him your plans.

Wow, scary stuff. Glad you're doing better.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Glad you got it fixed in time. I have been to the eye foc yhree times for floaters and flashes but so far no tears. Just the shrinkage of the back part of my eye. PVD I think he called it. I only notice the floaters looking at the dumb computer screen.
      Yeah, a detachment of sorts, but not of the retina. Spooked me when it happened. It does mess up your vision somewhat, and there's really no "fix" for it. Apparently it's common among older folks...
    • Had a very low key Wigilia (Polish Christmas Eve celebration) and Christmas Day this year due to my mother being born to eternal life on Tuesday, December 22. Just my husband and I and our daughter and son-in-law. Didn't get out the china or Christmas tablecloth or any such; just ate on TV tables in the living room. Forgot about the Oplatek. Menu was also much less variety than normal; only pierogi, homemade apple sauce from a friend (who has apple trees in her backyard), green bean casserole, butternut squash and canned cranberry sauce. Had no time to make our normal 6 varieties of Christmas cookies; luckily my husband had picked up a Marie Callender's pecan pie that turned out to be pretty darn good and my daughter picked up some brownie bites. I had planned to make a special Christmas brunch casserole and Lemon Blueberry Brunch cake for Christmas morning but I was so low energy and working on the Mass of Resurrection selections that my husband got out all the fixings for breakfast tacos, sliced and chopped what needed to be sliced and chopped, shredded the cheese, scrambled the eggs and fried the bacon. There will be a new normal next year.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Trillium,

Sorry for your loss.

TrafficJam wrote:

Oh Trillium, I'm so sorry!

socks wrote:

Eternal life is such a bitter sweet thing for those of us left behind...sorry for your loss Trillium.

socks wrote:

...how are those Marie Callender pies?

JimBlue wrote:

My condolences Trillium.

AnotherKevin wrote:

So sorry, Trillium. Prayers for you and your family. In paradisum deducant ea angeli.
      jimmyjam, TrafficJam, socks, JimBlue, AnotherKevin: Thank you very much! I appreciate your words of comfort. Today has been a difficult day. Went to mass this morning and tears started streaming unbidden. While I am very happy for Mom to enter into eternal life with what that means to us (welcomed into the presence of the Beatific Vision, united with God and Dad and other loved ones), the finality of our family no longer having parents is tough. Can't take Dad to a Tigers game anymore (since 8/30/14). Can't go over and talk to Mom, who patiently listened to each of us and was so interested in our activities and interests (Wolverines for my sister, Spartans and her granddaughter for me, Red Wings for my brother, her grandson for my youngest sister). Mom did not suffer at all; after we took her to the hospital because we thought she just needed some IV fluids, it turned out she had severe sepsis and she just went into a deep sleep and 30 hrs later she took her last breath.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers!