Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Watchya doing for Christmas?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• That was a great trip. I really enjoyed meeting everybody.
      We did another trip to Harriman after that. That second trip required snow shoes.
      Then we had a couple of nights in our tent in a park here on Long Island. The last one was in September.
      That's only 4 bag/tent nights all year.
      I think I have a resolution for the new year, more nights in a tent and less in the house.
    • The cooking & baking has started in earnest. Made butternut squash soup with sage, rice & vegetable salad, thumbprint cookies with raspberry preserves and german chocolate cookies (these were not from scratch; however, everything else was) Tomorrow we plan to make m&m cookies and cut-out anise cookies. Also Impossible Swedish Apple Pie, cranberry jello salad, and green bean casserole.
    • once i've had my fill of family :) i'm going to sneak out and see unbroken.

edit to add: just read that the plaza theater in atlanta will be showing the interview on christmas. its a 2 screen theater, its on both screens, and its the only movie they are showing all day. they even set up online ticket sales which is something they do not do.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

once i've had my fill of family :) i'm going to sneak out and see unbroken.

edit to add: just read that the plaza theater in atlanta will be showing the interview on christmas. its a 2 screen theater, its on both screens, and its the only movie they are showing all day. they even set up online ticket sales which is something they do not do.
      if I could I'd fly down there and see it twice.
    • Hi Everyone, and a Merry Christmas.
      Just dropped in to let everyone know I'm still walking the trails and haven't gone to that big campsite in the sky. Wow, this place has really changed and looks good.
      Spending Christmas at home with family. Doesn't get any better than having 5 grandkids tearing the house apart.
      Wishing you all a great new year and hope to see you on the trail.
    • socks wrote:

chill in' with family and friends tonight, same tomorrow and the next. A very Merry Christmas to all of you-ins.

Same here to a T. Traditional supper of turkey and all the fixin's and the traditional Christmas Eve late morning, early afternoon visit to the mall. Not like you think. Not a big giant city mall just a small time little mall. I don't think it has a hundred stores. It's actually kind of pleasant. And a very Merry Christmas to all ya'll too.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Storm wrote:

Hi Everyone, and a Merry Christmas.
      Just dropped in to let everyone know I'm still walking the trails and haven't gone to that big campsite in the sky. Wow, this place has really changed and looks good.
      Spending Christmas at home with family. Doesn't get any better than having 5 grandkids tearing the house apart.
      Wishing you all a great new year and hope to see you on the trail.

Glad to hear from you Storm. Merry Christmas!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • i just got back from seeing "unbroken" the movie about war hero louis zamperini. i'm not going to add any spoilers as i know several people here plan on seeing the movie.

only about 6 other people in the theatre, but it's christmas eve and all the advertising says starts christmas day. i was looking at something on imdb at 6:45 and saw that the theater thats just a couple miles away had a 7:00 showing.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

they just posted on facebook that all christmas day shows are sold out. if this whole thing was a publicity stunt sony did a fantastic job.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

i just got back from seeing "unbroken" the movie about war hero louis zamperini. i'm not going to add any spoilers as i know several people here plan on seeing the movie.

only about 6 other people in the theatre, but it's christmas eve and all the advertising says starts christmas day. i was looking at something on imdb at 6:45 and saw that the theater thats just a couple miles away had a 7:00 showing.

I loved both books about him (actually enjoyed his autobiography more, although I will admit Unbroken is better written). Look forward to seeing it when it makes it here. So overall would you give it a thumbs up?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i just got back from seeing "unbroken" the movie about war hero louis zamperini. i'm not going to add any spoilers as i know several people here plan on seeing the movie.

I loved both books about him (actually enjoyed his autobiography more, although I will admit Unbroken is better written). Look forward to seeing it when it makes it here. So overall would you give it a thumbs up?

my dad is very interested in ww2, and does not like going to the movie theater, so i am going to call him and tell him this is a movie he will like. i'm sure he has no knowledge of the movie.

the important thing is that angelina jolie showed the movie (not the final cut but close to it) to louis zamperini in 15 minute chunks when he was on his deathbed in the hospital (laura hillenbrands words) and he liked it.

i did not think the movie was as good as the book. of course that can said about most books that are make into movies. hard to compress his life into 2 hours. the 47 days on the raft could have been a movie all by itself. so could the time in the prison camps. thats all i want to say at this point.

so thats a qualified thumbs up.

of course my favorite movie of the year is dumb and dumber to so what do i know?
      2,000 miler
    • I have to confess that I started this thread purely to track where some of you, particularly Hikerboy, were. I have to say that I think that HB was completely blindsided and the look on his face was worth the money to get here.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I have to confess that I started this thread purely to track where some of you, particularly Hikerboy, were. I have to say that I think that HB was completely blindsided and the look on his face was worth the money to get here.

it took me three hugs just to come to grips that what i was seeing was real!! man what a great xmas present!! and what fun we had, a perfect winters day, a night in a warm cozy cabin under a starry sky among evergreens draped with freshly fallen snow with people i love. it was soooo great to see you and annie,oz. i am so blessed to have such wonderful friends.
      so what are you doing new years day?
      its all good
    • Not sure. In Mass now with Army's sister. From here we go to Rhode Island until after Patriots game on Sunday (we have tickets).
      Looking at visiting Coach then and some non hiking related tourist type look around. Fly out the 3rd from jfk.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Trillium wrote:

. Also Impossible Swedish Apple Pie,

recipe?

My Mom goes to a Senior Exercise class and one of the ladies was telling the others about this recipe that she always receives raves for. Mom loves apple pie and told me about the conversation so I told her to ask the lady for the recipe and I would make it for her. So I made it yesterday for Christmas dinner and it was pretty darn good and so amazingly easy!

Impossible Swedish Apple Pie

McIntosh or Jonathan apples 3-6
      1 Tbsp sugar
      1 tsp cinnamon
      3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
      1 cup sugar
      1 cup flour
      1 beaten egg

Slice the apples and layer in a 9" pie pan until 3/4 full.
      Mix the T of sugar and cinnamon together then sprinkle over the apples.
      Melt the butter. Add the cup of sugar and the flour. Mix well.
      Add the egg and stir until blended. Mixture will be thick.
      Pour/spread over sliced apples.
      Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn oven to 400 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.

Both Mom & I thought the pie was very good but would be improved with some coarsely chopped walnuts. Also, I'm thinking I will substitute apple pie spice for the cinnamon the next time I make it to get some of the other spices in as well. I guess the number of apples depends on their size. I used 3 McIntosh apples.

Mom & I were the only ones who had the pie because my husband is sick and couldn't taste anything and the kids left Christmas Eve about 9pm after the Wigilia celebration to drive to the son-in-law's parents' home to celebrate Christmas with his family. They said they encountered white-out conditions a number of times. I'm glad they were able to make it safe and soundly even though a normally 1 1/2 hr trip took 2 1/4 hrs. I wish they didn't have to go, more so because I miss walks with Dakota, their blue tick beagle rescue.
    • I had a wonderful Christmas. Time spent with family and friends, good food and good drink. And I got a very special present from my daughter who painted this picture for me:
      Images
      • Christmas 2014 039.JPG

89.53 kB, 800×600, viewed 262 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • That is beautiful, JJ! Glad everyone's holidays went well!

I got some hiking supplies including my trekking poles, an O2 rain jacket, some cash to go toward my tent, etc. Time with family, now spending a couple of nights in a cabin in the mountains with friends.

Life is good!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.