Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Veterans Day and the NPS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Foresight wrote:

Free lunch at all Chili's restaurants today for veterans.
      thanks to the national and local establishments offering gratis meals and services to vets today. Jiffy Lube did not charge for an oil change when the staff saw the Iraq vet sticker on the back of my neighbor's car.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Foresight wrote:

Pacifist professor guy....you probably don't even like baseball. Lol
      Hey I love apple pie, eat hot dogs, and have owned a few Chevrolets. ;)

Actually very patriotic, just didn't like being lied to. Was looking to go in to reserves while in college (great conditioning from basic training and little extra money one weekend a month and a few weeks in the summer). Problem was recruiter told me something based upon if I was going full time, but not true for the reserves. I figured if they were lying to me before I joined, what might it be like after they had control of me. I guess I should just realized he was a salesman and rolled with it. My 20 years of reserve duty would have been up nearly 20 years ago.

When I went to college (my mom dropped out of high school at 15 to get married, my dad at 14 to join the army, 2 of 4 grandparents never went to school, and another quit in 2nd grade), I remember my mom saying she regretted I would not get to see the world through the military like my dad (Alaska, Japan, South Korea, France, Germany). But through business I have still had the chance to see 28 countries and lived in Brazil, Singapore, China, and Germany.

Still have the utmost respect for those who serve and protect our country! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'm just having some fun. All recruiters lie, it's just a fact of life :D

I recruited myself. I walked in and said, this is what I want so I need to take "this" test (nuclear power screening test). That was a billet that got him a bonus if he signed one up so I got exactly what I wanted and when I wanted it.

After that, not so much, but it was all good :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foresight ().

• My hat's off to those who've served.
      I got to watch a bunch of guys get sworn in the day I had to go for my draft physical and examinations.
      They had the group count off by 4s...1,2,3,4...all the 4s stand along that wall. The 1s,2s and 3s got sworn into the Army, the 4s, they became Marines. I was sent home with the promise that I'd get my orders to report for swearing in within a week after I graduated (school to become an aircraft mechanic). They ended the draft the day before graduation. Working with helicopters I've met a lot of ex-military guys who were either pilots or mechanics and most of them have had plenty of good things to say, even the ones who were shot down and crashed. I often wonder how my life would be different if I had been in the military.
    • I took a test to qualify for electronics. So when I got to boot camp, I could only request ET or CT. I hadn't realized that at first. Anyway, my recruiter didn't lie, but most everyone in my boot camp company mentioned things any military dependant would know wasn't going to happen.

I've been to Athens, Naples, and a few other places like Malta and Barcelona. Evidently the ship I was stationed on had a 'reputation' and we didn't get the 'good ports' very often.

I've been through a hurricane at sea. We almost capsized several times that night.

I would say I basically enjoyed my time in the US Navy, but some of the people I worked with had some issues I felt needed medical attention... like a straight jacket. The rest of the guys were okay.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Don't think so. You folks are rather normal... in particular in comparison to those I reflected my memories on.
      Disagree. Among my peers, I'm considered abnormal. Why? Most of them consider hiking 5-10 miles on a weekend as weird. However they think nothing of driving a massive SUV 6 blocks for a Starbucks and using the drive -thru.

My few close friends however are usually hiking with me.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

Working with helicopters I've met a lot of ex-military guys who were either pilots or mechanics and most of them have had plenty of good things to say, even the ones who were shot down and crashed. I often wonder how my life would be different if I had been in the military.
      I often encounter folks with similar sentiment. Most often the lament is stated 'if I had stayed in, I'd be receiving a pension now.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Working with helicopters I've met a lot of ex-military guys who were either pilots or mechanics and most of them have had plenty of good things to say, even the ones who were shot down and crashed. I often wonder how my life would be different if I had been in the military.
      I often encounter folks with similar sentiment. Most often the lament is stated 'if I had stayed in, I'd be receiving a pension now.
      "If"....only two letters but the biggest word in the Webster.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

"If"....only two letters but the biggest word in the Webster.
      If "ifs" and "buts" were cherry and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General