Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

hiking underwear

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hiking underwear

pardon my ignorance, but i have always hiked in shorts with built in liners. separate underwear is not needed.

last week i bought a pair of rei sahara long pants. no liner. i'm thinking i want to try some hiking underwear that can be worn for a week without creating chaffing issues.

anybody got any recommendations?
      2,000 miler
    • hiking underwear

http://www.freshpair.com/Players-Tricot-Nylon-Brief-NBR1.html
      Of course you may want another color other than red. Then again maybe not. I used to get jockey brand until they discontinued, then switched to these. Great for everyday use not just hiking, but fantastic for hiking especially in the heat.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • hiking underwear

Champion C9 boxer briefs from Target. Cheaper than Ex Officio or Under Armour, and at least adequate. If I weren't a clueless weekender, I might spring for better.

And you're right that going commando in REI Sahara pants is a bad idea. I found that out on the trip where the porcupine came in under my rainfly and took my skivvies from where I'd hung them in the tent vestbule.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • hiking underwear

Icebreakers merino wool boxers are worth every cent.

Exofficio boxers are good too, but greatly prefer the icebreakers

Plus SierraTradingPost has them on sale all the time

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/icebreaker-bodyfit-150-underwear-merino-wool-boxer-briefs-for-men~p~6102c/
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hiking underwear

Boxer shorts. Stretchy ones. Cheaper the better. I mostly buy a brand you don't have (for $4 each) but in USA I bought "Starter" brand from Walmart. They work well and you can replace them several times for the price of 1 pair of merinos. My experience with merinos is that elastic is stuffed pretty quickly.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hiking underwear

Storm wrote:

Astro wrote:

BB, I with you on the darn tough socks too. Does that mean I need to start saving for a Packa? :unsure:

I have one I would sell you. Never really liked it that much.

What is it that you don't like? I've heard other people say they didn't care for it. Army Ant I think started out with one then got rid of it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • hiking underwear

milkman wrote:

Storm wrote:

Astro wrote:

BB, I with you on the darn tough socks too. Does that mean I need to start saving for a Packa? :unsure:

What is it that you don't like? I've heard other people say they didn't care for it. Army Ant I think started out with one then got rid of it.

Don't know why he got rid of it (to IM by the way).
      Worked well for him. I have a poncho or I would have 1 as well.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hiking underwear

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

Storm wrote:

Astro wrote:

Don't know why he got rid of it (to IM by the way).
      Worked well for him. I have a poncho or I would have 1 as well.

It rains a bit up here. Sometimes it even gets cold when it is raining. Someone I am sailing in the rain. I have been wet outdoors a lot up here over the years. I have tried so many different rain thingies and have wasted so much money. For hiking, my search is over. I am still searching for a good non-hiking rain thingy.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.