Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What is this???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is this???

Little help...Does anyone know what type of Plant/Tree this is??? Prolly the only green plant I saw on my last hike in aboot 60 miles...

Images
      • P1000163.JPG

5.09 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 407 times
      • P1000164.JPG

5.02 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 464 times
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Not a Mountain Ash - the leaves are all wrong for that. American Crabapple (Malus coronaria) maybe? It doesn't look nearly prickly enough to be any of the sixty or so species of hawthorn that live in Pennsylvania - if it's got wicked thorns that I'm not seeing, one of those would be my guess. The invasive Bradford pear [Pyrus calleryana] also has nasty thorns, and would be a possibility if it's a problem species locally.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Not a Mountain Ash - the leaves are all wrong for that. American Crabapple (Malus coronaria) maybe? It doesn't look nearly prickly enough to be any of the sixty or so species of hawthorn that live in Pennsylvania - if it's got wicked thorns that I'm not seeing, one of those would be my guess. The invasive Bradford pear [Pyrus calleryana] also has nasty thorns, and would be a possibility if it's a problem species locally.

There were no thorns at all AK... When I saw it from a distance, my initial thought was "Dahoon(SP) Holly" that I used to see in Florida, but the leaves are kinda serrated, and not thick like I remember... Bark is all wrong to be a Malus coronaria...
    • Toli wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Not a Mountain Ash - the leaves are all wrong for that. American Crabapple (Malus coronaria) maybe? It doesn't look nearly prickly enough to be any of the sixty or so species of hawthorn that live in Pennsylvania - if it's got wicked thorns that I'm not seeing, one of those would be my guess. The invasive Bradford pear [Pyrus calleryana] also has nasty thorns, and would be a possibility if it's a problem species locally.

There were no thorns at all AK... When I saw it from a distance, my initial thought was "Dahoon(SP) Holly" that I used to see in Florida, but the leaves are kinda serrated, and not thick like I remember... Bark is all wrong to be a Malus coronaria...

My first guess was either this or the Brazilian pepper tree (Florida Holly) but that serrated edge is what makes it look different.
      The berries all strung out and not in a cluster is different too.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Toli wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

My first guess was either this or the Brazilian pepper tree (Florida Holly) but that serrated edge is what makes it look different.

I forgot all aboot Brazilian Pepper... When I was building Golf Course's in Florida and we were clearing land, we would douse huge stands of them with fuel and burn them first... They were EXTREMLY invasive back then :evil: ...
    • Toli wrote:

milkman wrote:

Toli wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I forgot all aboot Brazilian Pepper... When I was building Golf Course's in Florida and we were clearing land, we would douse huge stands of them with fuel and burn them first... They were EXTREMLY invasive back then :evil: ...

You can't kill that stuff. It's gotta be pulled up by the root. Even then, if you leave the tiniest of a sprig it'll be a bush in a year and a tree in two. They want that stuff out of there. Kills everything it touches.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.