Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MRE for Hikers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MRE for Hikers

Well we all know MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) is a failure for backpackers. Why? they are just that shelf stable, no water added, and open the pouch. They are good for five years in all weather issues. And terribly heavy... well a few BP's have admitted to stripping the meals down to just the packs and nothing else. So imagine my surprise as I walked into one of my favorite bicycle stores in Jim Thorpe, PA and there are MRE on clearance for $3 each. Brown packages of Apple Turnover at 3.1 oz and Honey BBQ sandwich at 3.5 oz so a few backups won't be junk in your tru..... eh backpack.

Here's your link

campingsurvival.com/bridgfordfoods.html

check out the other links under the same site... pretty cool
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • This is a new company I would be happy to mail you some samples out of my own pocket. Everything MRE changed after the Iraq war (1) I have had full (Military) MRE from two years ago and it was OK - it doesn't taste like PooFan

This company is relatively new in Statesville NC and should be OK - for a sandwich or a dessert 5 years in the pack.
      beats granola every time.
    • A neighbor of mine gave me a box of military MREs. I took a few on a hike once... on the AT in Vermont. They were mostly awful. I will not do that again. As mentioned -- they are heavy.

Places like Trader Joes have precooked meals in heavy foil packets that are much better than MREs. They will be heavy like MREs but taste much better.
    • LIhikers wrote:

If we decide to get some pre-prepared meals to take along on a trip I like to order from Hawk Vittles.
      His stuff is much tastier than the big names like Mountain House.
      Here's the link www.hawkvittles.com

Been meaning to try some of these. You're not the first person I've heard give these a good review. Prices are comparable too. I eat them all. Doesn't matter to me. MH, BP, Coleman. Some of each I like, some I don't. Any of them I'll pass on the ones with eggs in them. If I want eggs I go with OvaEasy. I'll even whip them up at home when we're out of eggs. Those with bacon on the trail can't be beat.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Before this turns into one of those MREs are too heavy threads keep in mind that WOO is only mentioning one component that comes in at 3-4 ounces. Most of us are only carrying dehydrated/freeze dried suppers and sometimes for breakfast. Otherwise we all are carrying full-weight food for our daytime meals, and some MRE components are certainly viable lunch options when compared against, tuna and Spam single packs, tortillas, crackers, meal bars, trail mix or anyother trail food.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tuckahoe ().

• LIhikers wrote:

If we decide to get some pre-prepared meals to take along on a trip I like to order from Hawk Vittles.
      His stuff is much tastier than the big names like Mountain House.
      Here's the link www.hawkvittles.com

Some of the PackIt Gourmet stuff is decent, too, although I do most of my trail-food shopping in the grocery store, too.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Before this turns into one of those MREs are too heavy threads keep in mind that WOO is only mentioning one component that comes in at 3-4 ounces. Most of us are only carrying dehydrated/freeze dried suppers and sometimes for breakfast. Otherwise we all are carrying full-weight food for our daytime meals, and some MRE components are certainly viable lunch options when compared against, tuna and Spam single packs, tortillas, crackers, meal bars, trail mix or anyother trail food.

I know I too was a naysayer - however 3-4 ounce 1 vittle in case you cant cook or get a fire going as a backup is fine - beats starvation... I added to it as I have already posted a whole thread somewhere on how to strip down a real military MRE, even though they are made of unobtanium.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Before this turns into one of those MREs are too heavy threads keep in mind that WOO is only mentioning one component that comes in at 3-4 ounces. Most of us are only carrying dehydrated/freeze dried suppers and sometimes for breakfast. Otherwise we all are carrying full-weight food for our daytime meals, and some MRE components are certainly viable lunch options when compared against, tuna and Spam single packs, tortillas, crackers, meal bars, trail mix or anyother trail food.

I know I too was a naysayer - however 3-4 ounce 1 vittle in case you cant cook or get a fire going as a backup is fine - beats starvation... I added to it as I have already posted a whole thread somewhere on how to strip down a real military MRE, even though they are made of unobtanium.

Stovie could have used one on his last hike. :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I pack about 25% no cook dinners for when it's raining or I feel like getting takeout but they won't deliver twenty miles from the road.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Many years ago I bought a meal from campmor, it was a chili that was all contained, pull a tab as I remember and it heated the meal in about 10 min. Pretty slick I thought (though it was pricey, about 12 bucks, but I had to try it I was so curious) be a nice thing to keep in the car during winters in the mountains, just incase.

Oh, the chili was just so so.
    • CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

MREs are before my time. Eggs and chopped ham in a can was actually better cold. Chocolate pound cake! And a 4 pack of Pall Malls.............what more does a young Marine need in the field!
      Wait.........I messed that up...... I'm before MREs time........... damn, 60 and its slipping away ;(
      I assumed that's what you meant. These new ones hardly even qualify as MRE's according to some people since they're too palatable.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.