Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned Donation Time

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Donation Time

All,

As we approach the one year anniversary of the cafe on November 29th it is time to pass the hat to fund the site for the next year.

What is happening with the site going forward

1) Upgrade the hosting speed with an upgrade to the Godaddy hosting or switching to a semi-dedicated VPN if the first speed upgrade isn't enough. We have been hitting our CPU max almost daily as the site grows.

2) Upgrade the WBB software from 4.0.8 to 4.1 which greatly improves the WYSIWYG editor and has all the functions on your mobile phone as you have on your real computer.

3) Upgrade the Gallery editor to allow members to upload pictures without having to edit the image file size prior to uploading.

We want to thank everyone that has been part of the cafe family and invite others to join in the conversation.

gif.013.gif Rasty, Hikerboy and Trainwreck!
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

All,

As we approach the one year anniversary of the cafe on November 29th it is time to pass the hat to fund the site for the next year.

Now wait a minute, is this site really only a year old? It really does feel like our little clubhouse has been around for longer than that.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Rasty wrote:

November 29th. I made the first post. I think it was deleted for being below the minimum threshold for civility.

I remember that post. It was so uncivil.........................HOW UNCIVIL WAS IT?........................It was so uncivil it got him thrown off of another site. Now that's uncivil.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

November 29th. I made the first post. I think it was deleted for being below the minimum threshold for civility.

I remember that post. It was so uncivil.........................HOW UNCIVIL WAS IT?........................It was so uncivil it got him thrown off of another site. Now that's uncivil.

I think it was Holy s... this actually works?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I didn't sign up on the first appeal because "an A-T site that isn't TOS" wasn't much of a mission statement, and I honestly thought it wouldn't fly. But after a year: I was wrong. We've got something going here. Something very weird, it's true, but that's something.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Where do I send the check and what name goes on it?

Use the Donation tab at the top or click this link.
      appalachiantrailcafe.net/index.php/Donations/

Is Pay Pal required (which I don't have) or will it accept a credit card?

Credit cards work. We use PayPal as the processor.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Thank you to everyone for the generous donations!

We are currently evaluating our options for faster / better hosting and have narrowed the choices down to two hosting companies. Our goals are to have the site running quickly 99.9% of the time, automatic backups and room to grow as a community. Godaddy does well with very small forums, static web pages and huge sites with huge budgets. The managed hosting at Godaddy goes from $10 per month to $180 per month with nothing in between unless you are a computer server technician.

For anyone that wants to look at the options here they are

urljet.com/forum-hosting.php

wiredtree.com/managedvps/
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Mine is coming!

I just got a raise kind-of......The boss is getting me a phone......so i save the $67..... I was paying for my Dumb Phone.

But Ov is all upset 'cause I'm getting an iphone 6...............which is all the rage now..........it is all Greek to me.....now I'm going to have to figure out how to use it with my fat stubby fingers!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Rasty wrote:

Thank you to everyone for the generous donations!

We are currently evaluating our options for faster / better hosting and have narrowed the choices down to two hosting companies. Our goals are to have the site running quickly 99.9% of the time, automatic backups and room to grow as a community. Godaddy does well with very small forums, static web pages and huge sites with huge budgets. The managed hosting at Godaddy goes from $10 per month to $180 per month with nothing in between unless you are a computer server technician.

Our dance group is looking at some of the GoDaddy options. The entry level stuff. I've kind of/sort of committed to half the cost for the first year and the monitoring of the website. Already I'm finding out how not too easy it is. I registered for a live training class with the training hub and had the option of if I couldn't sit in to have the recorded session emailed to me. Which I did. Took a while to download it but that was cool. Middle of the session something goes wrong and I can no longer view it. So, I'm gonna try again when I can sit in live. That will also allow me to chat and ask questions.
      Thanks Rasty for all you do. I am now just scratching the surface finding out what all you go through. Patience is definitely a requirement and a virtue.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Our dance group is looking at some of the GoDaddy options. The entry level stuff. I've kind of/sort of committed to half the cost for the first year and the monitoring of the website. Already I'm finding out how not too easy it is. I registered for a live training class with the training hub and had the option of if I couldn't sit in to have the recorded session emailed to me. Which I did. Took a while to download it but that was cool. Middle of the session something goes wrong and I can no longer view it. So, I'm gonna try again when I can sit in live. That will also allow me to chat and ask questions.
      Thanks Rasty for all you do. I am now just scratching the surface finding out what all you go through. Patience is definitely a requirement and a virtue.

What software are you using?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Lost you there for a while. I'm looking at a really simple site through GoDaddy. The economy web hosting, the personal web builder, and the SEO. Can I run all this with Windows7 and IE10? All we need is to be found when someone searches line dancing, line dancing lessons, country dancing and/or lessons in Alabama. A simple site of who we are, what we do, when and where lessons and dances are. Maybe some pics, and possibly a way to post links to instructional videos via Youtube.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Lost you there for a while. I'm looking at a really simple site through GoDaddy. The economy web hosting, the personal web builder, and the SEO. Can I run all this with Windows7 and IE10? All we need is to be found when someone searches line dancing, line dancing lessons, country dancing and/or lessons in Alabama. A simple site of who we are, what we do, when and where lessons and dances are. Maybe some pics, and possibly a way to post links to instructional videos via Youtube.

Just be aware that we are crashing daily with Godaddy with the economy web hosting (Level 3).

Look at these two for much better hosting

linode.com/pricing

digitalocean.com/pricing/
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Just be aware that we are crashing daily with Godaddy with the economy web hosting (Level 3).

Look at these two for much better hosting

linode.com/pricing

digitalocean.com/pricing/

Thanks Rasty. I gotta lot to learn. We're shooting for mid-Jan.
    • OK, I finally figured out how to do it.
      If you go to the donation page and get a list of donors, with a small blue arrow along the right edge of the page, click on the arrow.
      That should make the list of donors narrower and display a place to donate on the right side.
      It took me days to figure that out. Guess I'm not very computer savvy.
      But, got it done in the end.
    • LIhikers wrote:

OK, I finally figured out how to do it.
      If you go to the donation page and get a list of donors, with a small blue arrow along the right edge of the page, click on the arrow.
      That should make the list of donors narrower and display a place to donate on the right side.

Smartphone or tablet? On these that arrow opens up the sidebar menus which are on every page of the website.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • rafe wrote:

Might want to check out these guys: phpwebhosting.com/

I've been using them for 10+ years now to host my little photo web site.

$10 a month, unlimited disk space and bandwidth... so they say!

I only use GoDaddy for the domain name registration.

Thank you for the suggestion. Forums get hammered by bots which is probably the number one reason we need to upgrade to a managed vps.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

OK, I finally figured out how to do it.

Smartphone or tablet? On these that arrow opens up the sidebar menus which are on every page of the website.

On a regular laptop running some version of windows. Probably windows 8.