Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trip Report Camino Frances Spain (Part 1)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trip Report Camino Frances Spain (Part 1)

Camino de Santiago (780km) 4th Sept 2014 to 10th Oct 2014.

The Camino is ostensibly the same route followed by pilgrims walking to Santiago to pay homage to St James (brother of Simon called Peter - fisherman of Galilee) the Apostle, since medieval times. The faithful believe the (headless) remains of St James are interred there and have been making this pilgrimage ever since the originally more popular pilgrimages to Jerusalem and Rome became too dangerous to those from western Europe late in the first millenia.
      I say ostensibly as the original walking route has obviously been replaced by highways over the centuries and the current route is being increasingly "improved" to make it safer and more scenic. One of the key differences between the Camino and a trail such as the Appalachian Trail is that the Camino seeks the easiest travel route and passes over mountains at their low points and tends to follow valleys while the AT follows a ridgeline and crosses roads etc at its low points.
      One is designed to be the easiest way to travel and the other is meant to keep you in the wilderness.

Annie and I decided to walk the Camino Frances which is the most popular of the options. Because the goal is to walk to Santiago there is no "one and only true" camino. In medieval times people simply walked from their front door (and had to walk back). Annie and I met a couple of ladies who had done that from their homes in Belgium. When we met them they had about 2500km behind them and only about 200km to go! They weren't going to walk back however.
      To qualify for the Compestela at the end pilgrims only have to have walked the last 100km (from anywhere) and along with the many valid "alternate" routes along the way, this means that a purist "follow every blaze" attitude doesn't really fit with Camino realities. "Purists" abound on the Camino however, but their mantra is more along the lines of carrying your pack all the way, or visiting every church, or staying only in albergue accomodation etc.

We flew from Oz into Madrid arriving late and stayed in a nearby hotel. The following morning we took a bus to Pamplona and were picked up there by a hostel owner who took us back to their hostel which was halfway between Pamplona and the start in St Jean Pied de Port in France. The following morning he drove us to the start and we began the walk back (we actually passed by his hostel again 3 days later and stopped for a chat).

Our first day we only walked 8km and stayed at the Refuge Orisson almost halfway up the climb over the Pyrenees from St Jean. This is strongly recommended, especially for those starting less than trail fit, but requires good planning as the beds there are pretty much booked out 2 to 3 months in advance. Everything up to this point we had planned and prebooked long before leaving home.

From here we continued on over the Pyrenees into Spain and to Santiago. For a day by day description of our Camino please
      refer to Annie's trail journal at trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=470001 . I am not going to duplicate the daily info in this report.

For the record we took 37 days and carried our full packs every day except for two occasions (Burgos and Leon) where we stayed two nights and walked sans pack part of the next section and then taxied back, with a bus or taxi ride out to restart the next morning. Our longest day was about 37km and our shortest I think was the 8km first day. We had ZERO zeroes.

The albergues require you to present a "Credencial" or Pilgrim Passport which you generally get at the start in St Jean or whatever city you start in. We had ours already from an online forum. The Credencial is stamped (a "sello") by your albergue (and many churches, bars etc along the way when you ask for it) and it is the document required in Santiago to show evidence of your walk so that you can receive a "Compostela" which is an "indulgence" for your past sins. For an extra couple of euros you can also get a certificate of distance at the end. The Compostela is not issued unless you state you did the walk for religious or "spiritual" reasons. I was very spiritual. ;)
      Images
      • P9040001.JPG

2.23 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 517 times
      • P9040068.JPG

1.88 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 482 times
      • P9040087.JPG

2.22 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 532 times
      • P9050142.JPG

2.59 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 537 times
      • P9080448.JPG

2.99 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 502 times
      • P9090499.JPG

2.38 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 528 times
      • P9110708.JPG

2.34 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 567 times
      • P9141035.JPG

2.54 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 537 times
      • P9141002.JPG

2.4 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 525 times
      • P9171164.JPG

1.94 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 465 times
      • P9251576.JPG

2.45 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 514 times
      • PA041963.JPG

2.48 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 509 times
      • PA042026.JPG

2.56 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 511 times
      • PA052051.JPG

2.39 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 563 times
      • PA092286.JPG

2.84 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 517 times
      • PA092295.JPG

2.62 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 557 times
      • PA062172.JPG

2.86 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 529 times
      • PA102326.JPG

2.73 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 574 times
      • PA112333.JPG

2.01 MB, 2,976×3,968, viewed 455 times
      • PA122395.JPG

2.62 MB, 3,968×2,976, viewed 688 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Very cool! Im not a religious guy at all, but the Camino is definitely on my list to do!
      We were really surprised that the majority of those on the Camino were not overtly religious. Many were motivated simply by the movie The Way and ticking it off their bucket come retirement.
      Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do, you're a mile away......and you have their shoes!!! :saint:
    • hikerboy wrote:

i think part 2 is much better written
      Wait until you see Part 3, currently in production, and dealing with Albergue antics, the symphony of night noises, how not to cause an international incident over a clothes dryer, how Jacko found Burger King in every city, why hikers and cyclists don't mix and not another #@&%!! Roman road.
      Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do, you're a mile away......and you have their shoes!!! :saint:
    • DragonflyAnnie wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i think part 2 is much better written
      Wait until you see Part 3, currently in production, and dealing with Albergue antics, the symphony of night noises, how not to cause an international incident over a clothes dryer, how Jacko found Burger King in every city, why hikers and cyclists don't mix and not another #@&%!! Roman road.

I read your TJ and enjoyed your descriptions greatly. This thread makes me smile. I love the pics that Jacko posted above!
      I am hopeful that I can hike the Camino next year. We will see.
    • Hi Trillium Congratulations on your Camino. Ultreia and Buon Camino. I walked solo from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago last year (13) and then again this past Autumn. This year I started on Pau, France and walked up over SomPort (Portus Summus) on the Camino Aragon and joined the Camino Frances in Obanos. This September I was shocked by the sheer mass of people on the Frances Route compared to September 2013. The Aragon was nearly devoid of walkers, but too short.

My next trip will be to walk the Camino Norte to again avoid the crowds.

You remember the communal dinner activity at Orrison where we had to stand and give our reason for walking the Camino? I calmly stood and stated that I had heard that the Camino was a great place to meet women. Got laughs from the men, and frowns from the women.

I had a great time on both occasions since at 75 my hiking has slowed quite a bit over the years.

I am enjoying your Trail Journal writings. Jeep it up.

Tom Hillwalker Wheeler AKA Tavish Colquhoun