Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Even more hiking in PA...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Even more hiking in PA...

Yep... Did some more hiking... Went out for 3 nights and 4 days chasing Fall colours SOBO from Palmerton to Furnace Creek late last week thru Sunday, with quite a bit of Blue, and Red blazing... First off... It was overcast, then it got windy, REALLY windy then it was raining, then it was snowing... Then it got interesting... Since I was in no hurry, and picture op's were few and far between, I pretty much went down any and every blazed trail I saw... Some were to un-named springs I was not familiar with, but am now, some were to campsites/lookouts, and still others to... I have no idea, as they did not seem to go anywhere, but were well worn/blazed... One thing is for sure, water is scarce in that area... At least 3 springs I have used often, were bone dry... Dan's Spring, Jane's Spring and the Blue blazed spring @ the Allentown shelter... At Allentown Shelter, I jumped on the Yellow blaze after the blue, and after what seemed like forever heading down hill, found a spring that had enough water that you could fill a couple 1L bottles in just a few minutes... Just my luck tho, I had grabbed 2L of H20 aboot 4 Miles North, after being told by some hikers the shelter was "dry"... Happened on a few hunting camps on some side trails I followed too... Heard lots of gun shots every day, except Sunday...

To follow up on a few things from my last hike... I followed the Red blazed trail after the "Alter" for prolly an hour, again heading down the mountain, and after a while, the blazes disappeared and it seemed to turn into more of a game trail, never really saw where it was destined... It was getting dark fast, and there was no way I was going to make it back to the AT... So, I went into stealth camp search mode and found an awesome site for the night, I will post some pics of it later... Its was just big enough for my tent, could not even guy out my fly... Of course it rained all night, but no worries, I stayed dry... Another was "How were sooooo many people" making it up to the Pinnacle??? Well, I not only got my answer, I got it from this REALLY cool old guy I met near the Reservoir, that was throwing rocks with some kinda "Biblical" rope sling with a leather pocket on it... He could chuck a fist sized rock a hundred yards into the reservoir, it was impressive... My few attempts at it could only be described as "extremely dangerous"... To myself... Anyhoo, he took me to 2 different trails up to the Pinnacle I did not know aboot, the first of which was an old logging road that he said used to be closed... We made it up and down in under 2 hours, with only 10 minutes of rocky trail... The second was on the opposite side of the Rez, and again was an old "road"... If you looked hard enough, I could kinda see it... It was not a "bush whack", but it was also no real trail either... It was a lot of fun going up, but it was just that, pretty much just straight up... Near the top, it comes out on another Blue blazed trail that comes from the parking lot that I already knew of... Learned a lot on this trip, especially aboot how well I have fine tuned my cold weather/windy kit, cold/rainy/windy kit and sub 20 degree sleep system( thank you Scott for making such an awesome down bag, and skoolin' me on how to work those Karo baffles to my advantage...) I never found myself uncomfortable at any time... I do need to add Terry cloth snot swipe on my gloves somehow, ala my Pearl Izumi Road gloves from cycling... Maybe JJ has an idea for me
      :whistling: ...

Images
      • P1000162.JPG

4.9 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 360 times
      • P1000161.JPG

4.88 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 356 times
      • P1000145.JPG

5.3 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 335 times
      • P1000150.JPG

3.33 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 341 times
      • P1000149.JPG

3.36 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 345 times
      • P1000154.JPG

5.5 MB, 3,648×2,736, viewed 420 times
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Toli ().

• I have only been at the southwest end of the Laurel Highlands Trail, in Ohiopyle. I think I got some information about the trail at the visitor center along the Great Allegheny Passage in Ohiopyle. It is staffed, so you could probably call one of the rangers working there. To stay at the shelters, you have to make reservations in advance and pay fees. According to Wikipedia, there is tenting at the shelters. I do not know what the requirements are for tenting.

Ohiopyle Visitor Center
      Route 381
      Ohiopyle, PA 15470
      Phone: 724-329-1127
      39.869976, -79.492289 (should put you within spitting distance)

cometoohiopyle.com/about-ohiop…pyle-visitors-center.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_R…el_Highlands_Hiking_Trail
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• WanderingStovie wrote:

I have only been at the southwest end of the Laurel Highlands Trail, in Ohiopyle. I think I got some information about the trail at the visitor center along the Great Allegheny Passage in Ohiopyle. It is staffed, so you could probably call one of the rangers working there. To stay at the shelters, you have to make reservations in advance and pay fees. According to Wikipedia, there is tenting at the shelters. I do not know what the requirements are for tenting.

Ohiopyle Visitor Center
      Route 381
      Ohiopyle, PA 15470
      Phone: 724-329-1127
      39.869976, -79.492289 (should put you within spitting distance)

cometoohiopyle.com/about-ohiop…pyle-visitors-center.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_R…el_Highlands_Hiking_Trail

Thanks
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

I do need to add Terry cloth snot swipe on my gloves somehow, ala my Pearl Izumi Road gloves from cycling... Maybe JJ has an idea for me

Snot rockets? That's what I do. Or was it too windy? :D

Same here, better let me know if you're passing, I was running on the Creeper Trail and my son was passing on a bike, didn't know he was there, almost knocked him off his bike, a moment he has not forgotten.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I liked the AT in PA, mostly. Enough to re-visit Outerbridge shelter once, on my way home from the Gathering.

PA was... interesting. Different from New England in so many ways. It's not like the rocks were a surprise or unexpected. And it's not like the rocks just end south of Pen-Mar or north of DWG.

And yeah, the other thing I remember: it was dry. Finding water was a big pain. Often found myself walking what seemed like half-way down the ridge to get water. Thank god for the trail angels and their gallon jugs of water.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

I do need to add Terry cloth snot swipe on my gloves somehow, ala my Pearl Izumi Road gloves from cycling... Maybe JJ has an idea for me

Snot rockets? That's what I do. Or was it too windy? :D

Toli,

I know what you're looking for, i used to have a pair of gauntlet motorcycle gloves that had a pad of some soft cloth on the back of the glove to wipe your nose with. You could stitch a piece of something on or maybe use some of that velcro with the industrial adhesive on it- but sewing it on would hold better.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife Kathy has a map put out by the Keystone Trail Association.
      I never realized PA had so many "long" trails.
      This coming spring we hope to do the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA.
      Anybody have any first hand experience and info on it?

I have done sections... it OK... not great.

Thanks
      I don't need great, just need to get out and walk, and hopefully someplace new.
      Well, not really so knew, as I know about the Laurel Highlands Trail because I hiked past it when I hiked the Great Allegheny Passage
    • LIhikers wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My wife Kathy has a map put out by the Keystone Trail Association.
      I never realized PA had so many "long" trails.
      This coming spring we hope to do the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA.
      Anybody have any first hand experience and info on it?

I have done sections... it OK... not great.

Thanks
      I don't need great, just need to get out and walk, and hopefully someplace new.
      Well, not really so knew, as I know about the Laurel Highlands Trail because I hiked past it when I hiked the Great Allegheny Passage

Gotta agree with WOO on that... Nothing to write home to mum aboot... Check out the West Rim Trail and Black Forest Trail, both well worth it, IMO... Maybe we will run into each other :thumbsup: ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...