Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Safety tips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Safety tips

What are your favorite random safety tips?

I heard one from an REI employee who has thru-hiked the AT. He said that Bear Mace (is that the same thing as Bear spray?) is lethal to humans and could be used as a defensive measure if need be.

He also recommended rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag for a summer sleeping bag. I figure if I hike into the fall, I can use this as my liner and purchase a sleeping bag for colder temps.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • It is for 55*, for which you may not need a bag (just take a sheet or something light if you are in a tent). It is also synthetic.

I have gotten 40* Kelty down bags on sale for the same wt/size and not much more $.

How much winter camping are you planning for? I have a 20* bag that got me through the Smokies when it got down to the teens. Once you start talking about taking 2 bags that is adding up both the weight and the volume in your pack.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • twistwrist wrote:

He also recommended rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag for a summer sleeping bag. I figure if I hike into the fall, I can use this as my liner and purchase a sleeping bag for colder temps.

i wouldn't recommend that. a cold spell will come through. i guarantee it.

quick story. i was in gettysburg on my thru in the middle of summer. bought a sheet from the discount store and mailed my bag ahead a week. on my way out of town i saw a friend, told him what i did, he thought it was a great idea and ended up doing the same. sheet worked great the first week. caught up to my bag and mailed it ahead another week. before i got there a cold spell came thru and i froze my azz off a couple days. caught up to my bag and threw the sheet away. my friend got sooo cold he ended up hitching a ride to the post office where his bag was. he has a 20-30 mile gap in his thru hike.
      2,000 miler
    • CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When I was hiking the other day, I walked by 6 hell hounds chained to trees who wanted to eat me alive. It's the only time I have ever wished that I had bear spray.

What was that all about?

The other day when I couldn't find my trail I decided to go exploring and followed a trail that took me out of the forest into a holler. Do you northerners know what a holler is? :D It's a secluded, backwoods area where people live. I walked down the gravel road a ways and walked by a house that had 6 hounds chained to trees. They were pretty fierce.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Re: Safety tips

TrafficJam wrote:

One of the stupid things that I do when staying in shelters is laying my hiking pole next to me and extended beyond the edge of the platform about a foot. It's my early warning system in case a bear walks up and wants to bite me in the head.

I don't think its stupid. One of my poles holds my shelter up and the other is lying where I can grab it. I also keep a pile of fist sized rocks handy to throw at night.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I view my hiking pole as a weapon and always have at least one with me, even when going pee in the middle of the night. Waving it above your head or beating it on the ground is probably more effective in scaring a bear away than bear spray.

Good point. I have heard a lot more bears than I have seen. I am sure the sound of my hiking poles have cost me quite of few pictures of bears. But on the other side also prevented me from surprising one in situation closer than I might like.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

One of the stupid things that I do when staying in shelters is laying my hiking pole next to me and extended beyond the edge of the platform about a foot. It's my early warning system in case a bear walks up and wants to bite me in the head.

I don't think its stupid. One of my poles holds my shelter up and the other is lying where I can grab it. I also keep a pile of fist sized rocks handy to throw at night.

While I do not know how good my aim would be, I like the idea of being able to throw rocks from a distance.
      If you having to use your poles it means you are probably closer than you want to be. 8o
    • twistwrist wrote:

I heard one from an REI employee who has thru-hiked the AT. He said that Bear Mace (is that the same thing as Bear spray?) is lethal to humans and could be used as a defensive measure if need be.

Lethal??? No. People at REI tend to say silly things... Bear Mace will incapacitate a person, but it's not lethal to healthy humans.

From the Counterassault website: counterassault.com/faq.htm
      ​7. What should I do if I accidentally get sprayed?

If you are exposed, the effects of Counter Assault are temporary. With no treatment at all, the effects should dissipate within approximately 30-45 minutes. However, some attempt should be made to relieve the discomfort of the individual who has been exposed. Treatment is accomplished by simply flushing the exposed area with large quantities of water. As soon as possible, the affected person should be removed from the contaminated area, placed in a fresh-air environment, and told to place their head briefly under water while opening their eyes. More complete treatment instructions are packed with each canister of Counter Assault.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Rasty wrote:

Read the reviews on that bag carefully. It's for really warm weather only and has no insulation at all.

I agree. Seems like the guy was pretty full of **** (dammit, why can't we use the "s" word? lol!) then. I questioned a couple of things he told me. You guys are confirming that. He recommended I tarp tent. I didn't think that was great advice for a noobie. He also said the Bear spray is lethal comment and recommended this bag for the June-August part of my trip and said I probably won't even use it most nights. Lastly, he recommended syntethic over down due to its insulation properties when wet.

Astro wrote:

It is for 55*, for which you may not need a bag (just take a sheet or something light if you are in a tent). It is also synthetic.

I have gotten 40* Kelty down bags on sale for the same wt/size and not much more $.

How much winter camping are you planning for? I have a 20* bag that got me through the Smokies when it got down to the teens. Once you start talking about taking 2 bags that is adding up both the weight and the volume in your pack.

My only goal is to hike until it feels right. I don't want to set a goal that may leave me feeling disappointed by the end of the trail. I would love (barring any injuries) to hike 2-3 months while I'm bringing in a teacher's summer paycheck. Those months would be June, July, August. Might I go farther and need a warmer sack? Yeah. But might I not? Yeah.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't like my pack being out of my sight, ever. How do thru hikers deal with leaving their packs unattended when they go into town?

This is mostly an issue when staying at hostels. Not an issue if you've got your own room.

Short answer: don't leave anything valuable in it. Take your wallet, camera, cellphone and other small (pocketable) valuable items with you. Most of the rest -- clothing, tent, sleeping bag, etc. -- is probably safe.

If I'm in town with my pack, I prefer to have it in sight. If it's a restaurant, ask if there's a safe place where you can stash it while you're inside.

Nothing's for certain in this world. It's been ages since I stayed at a crowded hostel or traveled with the thru-hiker wave.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Read the reviews on that bag carefully. It's for really warm weather only and has no insulation at all.

I agree. Seems like the guy was pretty full of **** (dammit, why can't we use the "s" word? lol!) then. I questioned a couple of things he told me. You guys are confirming that. He recommended I tarp tent. I didn't think that was great advice for a noobie. He also said the Bear spray is lethal comment and recommended this bag for the June-August part of my trip and said I probably won't even use it most nights. Lastly, he recommended syntethic over down due to its insulation properties when wet.

Astro wrote:

It is for 55*, for which you may not need a bag (just take a sheet or something light if you are in a tent). It is also synthetic.

My only goal is to hike until it feels right. I don't want to set a goal that may leave me feeling disappointed by the end of the trail. I would love (barring any injuries) to hike 2-3 months while I'm bringing in a teacher's summer paycheck. Those months would be June, July, August. Might I go farther and need a warmer sack? Yeah. But might I not? Yeah.

Personally I use a 20 degree bag for three season camping even during the middle of the summer. When it's warm out I just unzip it and use it like a quilt. I personally never trusted those 40-50 degree bags. I've hiked in summer days where it was 60-70 degrees out, but raining all day with 40 mile an hour winds, which is potential hypothermia weather. In those situations I need to know that when I hunker down for the night I am going to be warm, and a 20 degree bag does the trick. (For this same reason I use a zero degree bag from November through March, and an even warmer bag if I'm on a rare trip into the White Mountains or other real alpine terrain.)
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • P.S. I once had a guy at the local REI tell me that I could die if I drank untreated water on the A.T.. Seriously, he didn't say get sick, he said die. I had a really hard time not laughing at him.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Lethal??? No. People at REI tend to say silly things... Bear Mace will incapacitate a person, but it's not lethal to healthy humans.

From the Counterassault website: counterassault.com/faq.htm
      ​7. What should I do if I accidentally get sprayed?

If you are exposed, the effects of Counter Assault are temporary. With no treatment at all, the effects should dissipate within approximately 30-45 minutes. However, some attempt should be made to relieve the discomfort of the individual who has been exposed. Treatment is accomplished by simply flushing the exposed area with large quantities of water. As soon as possible, the affected person should be removed from the contaminated area, placed in a fresh-air environment, and told to place their head briefly under water while opening their eyes. More complete treatment instructions are packed with each canister of Counter Assault.

I'll bet that's like the first thing you want to do instinctively.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

The other day when I couldn't find my trail I decided to go exploring and followed a trail that took me out of the forest into a holler. Do you northerners know what a holler is? :D

A hollow is a narrow, deep valley.
      A halloa is a shout.
      They're both pronounced with an 'R' on the end in Appalachia, as far north as the southern Catskills. When I speak of starting yesterday's hike in Mink Hollow, the last word is pronounced 'holler.'
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The other day when I couldn't find my trail I decided to go exploring and followed a trail that took me out of the forest into a holler. Do you northerners know what a holler is? :D

A halloa is a shout.
      They're both pronounced with an 'R' on the end in Appalachia, as far north as the southern Catskills. When I speak of starting yesterday's hike in Mink Hollow, the last word is pronounced 'holler.'

Thanks AK, your explanation is much better than mine :). "Holler" also denotes a certain social condition/way of life. Country folk live in the holler, soccer mom's live in the burbs.
    • I live in a holler .. National forest on the backside of our place that goes at least 20 miles before hitting a road. Unless you count the road that goes through Dark Hollow. Dark hollow is a .4x4 road with a dark hollow loop hiking trail. .. Dark hollow/Dicks Creek is a iffy place to hike during hunting and redneck season. But I enjoy heading in there year round. Someday I'll find the old copper mine and silver mine that's back in there.....
    • Dmax wrote:

I live in a holler .. National forest on the backside of our place that goes at least 20 miles before hitting a road. Unless you count the road that goes through Dark Hollow. Dark hollow is a .4x4 road with a dark hollow loop hiking trail. .. Dark hollow/Dicks Creek is a iffy place to hike during hunting and redneck season. But I enjoy heading in there year round. Someday I'll find the old copper mine and silver mine that's back in there.....

Good, country folk live in hollers. But to be honest, I was scared and had to talk myself into walking down that road. I could hear John Denver singing Country Roads from one home and I said to myself, "These have to be good people, they're listening to John Denver!" :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I live in a holler .. National forest on the backside of our place that goes at least 20 miles before hitting a road. Unless you count the road that goes through Dark Hollow. Dark hollow is a .4x4 road with a dark hollow loop hiking trail. .. Dark hollow/Dicks Creek is a iffy place to hike during hunting and redneck season. But I enjoy heading in there year round. Someday I'll find the old copper mine and silver mine that's back in there.....

Good, country folk live in hollers. But to be honest, I was scared and had to talk myself into walking down that road. I could hear John Denver singing Country Roads from one home and I said to myself, "These have to be good people, they're listening to John Denver!" :)

That is a lot better than hearing Dueling Banjos from Deliverance. 8o
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A halloa is a shout.

Us rednecks down here also shoot "holler points" in their guns. We also say "Gimme a holler" instead of call me., or "I'll holler back at you" for i'll call you back.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

There might be a few in the north who know what a holler is. I drove past the Apple Holler in Wisconsin yesterday.
      appleholler.com/

You're supposed to be hiking on the AT. Since when does the AT go through Wisconsin?

Somebody must have made a wrong turn, of course us guys never stop and ask for directions. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference