Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Building upon a sucessfull strong personality

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Building upon a sucessfull strong personality

The 10 Most Important Personality Traits for Career Success
      Posted on September 24, 2010 | By Dr. Tom Denham

Personality traits are distinguishing qualities or characteristics that are the embodiment of an individual’s. They are your habitual patterns of behavior, temperament and emotion.

Skills, on the other hand, are the learned capacity to carry out specific tasks. They are competences or the talents to do things. These proficiencies can include critical thinking, manual, negotiation, outdoor, presentation, or technological. Typically, skills are special abilities that are acquired through training and experience.

The building block of successful career development is comprised of four components: skills, values, interests and personality traits. I have been a practicing career counselor for a long-time, and I have found an abundance of personality traits that are characteristic of successful people. However, I the following is my top 10 list. Successful people tend to be/have:
      Attitude – The capacity to stay optimistic and positive. The #1 quality for career success is “Championship Thinking.”
      Enthusiastic – The possession of intense and eager interest in a subject or cause. It is an energy that often inspires others.
      Ethical – The quality of having and living by a code of sound moral principles.
      Goal Focused – The ability to have clarity on the objectives that you strive for in your personal and professional life.
      Listener – The capacity to suspend your own agenda and deliberately and empathically allow others to be heard.
      Networked – A well developed circle of influence of interconnected positive relationships.
      Persistent – The ability to endure in the face of adversity. It is a patient and relenting effort to achieve despite difficulties.
      Self-Aware – The understanding and knowledge of who you are including your skills, values, interests, behaviors and character.
      Self-Confident – The firm belief in your abilities. Seek professional help if this is an area of weakness – it will be worth it.
      Self-Discipline – The ability to control and restrain impulses. Energy then can be focused and channeled toward your ambitions.

It is impossible to limit the list to just 10, and so here are 25 more that represent my second tier:

Adaptive
      Analytical Mind
      Articulate
      Balanced
      Collaborative
      Committed
      Courageous
      Creative
      Decisive
      Detail-Oriented
      Emotionally Competent
      Friendly
      Hard Working
      Humorous
      Intelligent
      Organized
      Prepared
      Productive
      Relationship-Oriented
      Responsible
      Sincere
      Self-Sacrificing
      Trustworthy
      Visionary
      Wise

Your list may differ and certainly, the list of personality traits could be much much longer. As a strengths-based career counselor, I strongly suggest writing down your top 10 traits. If you need assistance, ask three people that you know and trust what they perceive to be your best characteristics. This will help you get clarity on what you have to offer an employer. As a result you will be able to better answer such important questions as, “Why should we hire you?” or “How would you describe yourself?” The right combination of personality traits can greatly assist an individual on the road to success.

Tom’s Tip: “Character is that which can do without success.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

hope you find this as interesting as I did... Woo
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Well I have been listening to a successful sales trainer - and another corporate psychologist to improve sales skills - found this and just imagine for a moment taking a few things from here and hiking with it... like ten successful behaviors of the top hikers in the country.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well I have been listening to a successful sales trainer - and another corporate psychologist to improve sales skills - found this and just imagine for a moment taking a few things from here and hiking with it... like ten successful behaviors of the top hikers in the country.
      what in the world is a top hiker?its just walking.
      successful behaviors? you get up and walk.
      its all good

WiseOldOwl wrote:

It is a good list. I try, but fail on many of them.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I am one ahead of you.
      By not trying I avoid failure.
      49.gif
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I am one ahead of you.
      By not trying I avoid failure.
      49.gif

"ambition is the first step towards failure"- homer simpson
      its all good

Sorry if this makes some barf. I do try. A person is basically the person they will be by age 6. From there it is a matter of choosing to be yourself or something better. The person I am is not a very good person. By age 18, I was headed for being a liability and a statistic. I chose on 10/18/1981 to hand the reigns to someone smarter than I.

Some people have a much better core to work with. Many of those people don't understand the struggles of a person like I. Some don't care. its all good. I am no ones judge, save my own. I have judged this person as one who needs constant prodding to hide the natural traits that if were revealed would leave me with no friends. I am thinking I chose wisely.

Now back to the silliness.

BirdBrain wrote:

I chose to sit 1st, then take my shower. I leave to do that now. Enjoy the next k. Oops... did I say that out loud. Now others will know it is coming and you might have competition. Perhaps I have said too much.

As I said in another thread I already have plans in the works for that one.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Not sayin I wouldn't benefit from the info....But i think i'd be laughin my arse off during the interview while trying to remember how to act.

yup. the interview where they ask for your weakness and you are supposed to tell them you aren't good at taking time off from work or keeping a personal life... you just can't help but work all the time.

i can't help but walk all the time. that never got me a job.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Personality traits are distinguishing qualities or characteristics that are the embodiment of an individual’s. They are your habitual patterns of behavior, temperament and emotion.

Skills, on the other hand, are the learned capacity to carry out specific tasks. They are competences or the talents to do things. These proficiencies can include critical thinking, manual, negotiation, outdoor, presentation, or technological. Typically, skills are special abilities that are acquired through training and experience.

The building block of successful career development is comprised of four components: skills, values, interests and personality traits. I have been a practicing career counselor for a long-time, and I have found an abundance of personality traits that are characteristic of successful people. However, I the following is my top 10 list. Successful people tend to be/have:
      Attitude – The capacity to stay optimistic and positive. The #1 quality for career success is “Championship Thinking.”
      Enthusiastic – The possession of intense and eager interest in a subject or cause. It is an energy that often inspires others.
      Goal Focused – The ability to have clarity on the objectives that you strive for in your personal and professional life.
      Listener – The capacity to suspend your own agenda and deliberately and empathically allow others to be heard.
      Networked – A well developed circle of influence of interconnected positive relationships.
      Persistent – The ability to endure in the face of adversity. It is a patient and relenting effort to achieve despite difficulties.
      Self-Aware – The understanding and knowledge of who you are including your skills, values, interests, behaviors and character.
      Self-Confident – The firm belief in your abilities. Seek professional help if this is an area of weakness – it will be worth it.
      Self-Discipline – The ability to control and restrain impulses. Energy then can be focused and channeled toward your ambitions.

It is impossible to limit the list to just 10, and so here are 25 more that represent my second tier:

Adaptive
      Analytical Mind
      Articulate
      Balanced
      Collaborative
      Committed
      Courageous
      Creative
      Decisive
      Detail-Oriented
      Emotionally Competent
      Friendly
      Hard Working
      Humorous
      Intelligent
      Organized
      Prepared
      Productive
      Relationship-Oriented
      Responsible
      Sincere
      Self-Sacrificing
      Trustworthy
      Visionary
      Wise
      likes to walk
      its all good

BirdBrain wrote:

I chose to sit 1st, then take my shower. I leave to do that now. Enjoy the next k. Oops... did I say that out loud. Now others will know it is coming and you might have competition. Perhaps I have said too much.

Hey BB - I have over 30 windows open on 3 devices - should I just take it from here? Nah. Gotta run. Have fun.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Adaptive
      Analytical Mind
      Articulate
      Balanced
      Collaborative
      Committed
      Courageous
      Creative
      Decisive
      Detail-Oriented
      Emotionally Competent
      Friendly
      Hard Working
      Humorous
      Intelligent
      Organized
      Prepared
      Productive
      Relationship-Oriented
      Responsible
      Sincere
      Self-Sacrificing
      Trustworthy
      Visionary
      Wise

Your list may differ and certainly, the list of personality traits could be much much longer. As a strengths-based career counselor, I strongly suggest writing down your top 10 traits. If you need assistance, ask three people that you know and trust what they perceive to be your best characteristics. This will help you get clarity on what you have to offer an employer. As a result you will be able to better answer such important questions as, “Why should we hire you?” or “How would you describe yourself?” The right combination of personality traits can greatly assist an individual on the road to success.

Tom’s Tip: “Character is that which can do without success.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Will being handsom and debonair get me anywhere?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Drybones wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Adaptive
      Analytical Mind
      Articulate
      Balanced
      Collaborative
      Committed
      Courageous
      Creative
      Decisive
      Detail-Oriented
      Emotionally Competent
      Friendly
      Hard Working
      Humorous
      Intelligent
      Organized
      Prepared
      Productive
      Relationship-Oriented
      Responsible
      Sincere
      Self-Sacrificing
      Trustworthy
      Visionary
      Wise

Will being handsom and debonair get me anywhere?

No, sorry, the Gevalia coffee dude position has already been filled

1azarus wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Not sayin I wouldn't benefit from the info....But i think i'd be laughin my arse off during the interview while trying to remember how to act.

yup. the interview where they ask for your weakness and you are supposed to tell them you aren't good at taking time off from work or keeping a personal life... you just can't help but work all the time.

i can't help but walk all the time. that never got me a job.

If you dont give the right answer to your favorite color you're really screwed...I answered brown once, that's just behind black....didn't get the job.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

TrainWreck wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

it really is just walkin'. a purely recreational activity. what's this about?

What happened to your karma? Did TW get a hold of them?
      the angels got butthurt i suppose

TW didn't mess with Wolf's karma. But KarmaClaus just made a surprise visit. Ho ho ho. :kiss:

I don't believe in KarmaClaus. I know he is really a she train in a fake suit.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

it really is just walkin'. a purely recreational activity. what's this about?

What happened to your karma? Did TW get a hold of them?
      the angels got butthurt i suppose

TW didn't mess with Wolf's karma. But KarmaClaus just made a surprise visit. Ho ho ho. :kiss:

I don't believe in KarmaClaus. I know he is really a she train in a fake suit.

Do you believe in Karmacare then? Ask Milkman what happened a few days ago ;)