Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

just when you heard ... Cornish game hen

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• just when you heard ... Cornish game hen

Tonight I fired up the vertical smoker. This was to test a new bag of Stubbs bricks - well they burn way to slow and great for smoking not so good for grillin. Stuck two Cornish game hens with a rub mostly made of Saffron, Rosemary & Ginger and the primary chip was cherry wood and it was a winner.. I added Sea Salt at the last minute.

I just purchased my biggest salmon purchase ever... $40 or one side of wild caught for smoking tomorrow.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • We checked out a Wegmans supermarket that just opened today in our neighborhood. This was a Big Deal and of course with this being opening day, the store was mobbed.

Back home, we snarfed on a crock pot meal I threw together this morning -- chicken, potato, onion, green pepper, summer squash, leek. I must expand my culinary horizons... but would like to do it without too much meat.

Wegmans had Halvah. Hallelujah. So we had some of that for dessert.

I'd like to learn to bake a good light rye bread, like the stuff we used to pick up from Fox's deli when I was a kid.
    • Astro wrote:

Had to search what Halvah was. My education continues thanks to the Cafe. ;)

It's great hiking snack food. 195 calories per oz. and delicious. Main ingredient is crushed sesame seeds. The fat in Halvah comes from the sesame seeds. The sugar is added. Look for it the ethnic/Kosher foods section. Might be hard to find down South. ;) Joyva is the main brand, but there are others.
    • rafe wrote:

Astro wrote:

Had to search what Halvah was. My education continues thanks to the Cafe. ;)

It's great hiking snack food. 195 calories per oz. and delicious. Main ingredient is crushed sesame seeds. The fat in Halvah comes from the sesame seeds. The sugar is added. Look for it the ethnic/Kosher foods section. Might be hard to find down South. ;) Joyva is the main brand, but there are others.

Growing up, halva was pretty easy to get in Norfolk, but not anywhere else in SE Virginia. It was a happy day when we got a World Market in Williamsburg and found that they had individual servings of halva perfect for hiking. Infact World Market had all sorts of individual or single serving products that are great for the trail.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • just when you heard ... Cornish game hen

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Tonight I fired up the vertical smoker. This was to test a new bag of Stubbs bricks - well they burn way to slow and great for smoking not so good for grillin. Stuck two Cornish game hens with a rub mostly made of Saffron, Rosemary & Ginger and the primary chip was cherry wood and it was a winner.. I added Sea Salt at the last minute.

I just purchased my biggest salmon purchase ever... $40 or one side of wild caught for smoking tomorrow.

A neighbor gave me his slightly used smoker a short time ago. Have had good luck with making my own jerky and the salmon was awesome. My brisket still needs some work.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

A neighbor gave me his slightly used smoker a short time ago. Have had good luck with making my own jerky and the salmon was awesome. My brisket still needs some work.

I was worried as all hell - it was scarfed up and gone in a few hours over some better dishes - such as conch fritters & crackers with goat and apricot - which was awesome.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • When I saw this thread title, I immediately considered hiking out of town with a frozen hen in my pack, and roasting it in a stick over an open campfire with the body cavity stuffed with fresh rosemary and garlic ... I think that's going to have to happen this summer!

Love me some WOO food threads ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15