Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Deuter packs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Deuter packs

I tried on a bunch of weighted packs today.
      I fell in love with this one:
      rei.com/product/795606/deuter-act-lite-60-10-sl-pack-womens

Anyone here ever had any experience with it? It felt right...as much as I wanted to love the Crestrails, I didn't like how any of them felt on me as much as this one. I think I'm going to order it and try it out on a few overnighters I have coming up. REIs liberal return policy sure makes it easier to make a "final" decision!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Is there any difference in women's vs men's packs? Are they just designed to fit each body type more specifically? Granite Gear seems to have mostly men's packs to offer. There's one women's pack, but it's not rated very highly on REI's website.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I tried on a bunch of weighted packs today.
      I fell in love with this one:
      rei.com/product/795606/deuter-act-lite-60-10-sl-pack-womens

Anyone here ever had any experience with it? It felt right...as much as I wanted to love the Crestrails, I didn't like how any of them felt on me as much as this one. I think I'm going to order it and try it out on a few overnighters I have coming up. REIs liberal return policy sure makes it easier to make a "final" decision!

The Deuter -act-lite 65 was my second pack purchase, it's an okay pack but I've moved on to the Granite Gear Crown 60 which weighs slightly more than 1/2 the Deuter and is more comfortable, and for the way I pack it provides better organization.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Is there any difference in women's vs men's packs? Are they just designed to fit each body type more specifically? Granite Gear seems to have mostly men's packs to offer. There's one women's pack, but it's not rated very highly on REI's website.

The wife and I both have the REI Flash 65, or had I should say had since I returned her pack with the labels and price tag still on it, the only difference I could see was the color.
    • Most women like S curved shoulder straps as they accommodate the chest better than J curved.

With women's packs, you'll find shorter torso lengths. You look tall so you have more options.

Pick the most comfortable and lightest pack that you can afford.
      I met a guy who only uses women's packs because they fit him best.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Is there any difference in women's vs men's packs? Are they just designed to fit each body type more specifically? Granite Gear seems to have mostly men's packs to offer. There's one women's pack, but it's not rated very highly on REI's website.

You should take a trip to Mountain Crossings mountaincrossings.com/category-s/1867.htm and get professionally fitted with a ULA Circuit. The drive up that mountain road is almost worth the trip itself.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I would go to an outfitter and have them measure you. Then you'll know what your torso length and hip belt size would be , even if you don't buy from them.

As JJ says, you really need to be measured for your pack if it does not have adjustable torso length. Which most don't these days. ULA website gives example for how to measure. Also besides ULA, a couple more options are Mountain Laurel Designs and Gossamer Gear for packs. (and lots of other kick azz gear) :)
    • Rasty wrote:

You should take a trip to Mountain Crossings mountaincrossings.com/category-s/1867.htm and get professionally fitted with a ULA Circuit. The drive up that mountain road is almost worth the trip itself.

My bike and I love us some mountain twisties! I actually may consider the drive. It's only a half hour farther than REI. Right on!

• Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

this is an excellent suggestion. i'm not going to suggest a specific pack, but if neels gap is close enough for you to drive to then they offer excellent serivce by knowledgeable employees. if you are looking for something specific you should call first and find out what they have in inventory. the online store (as of 6 months ago or so) was not accurate as to inventory on hand.
      2,000 miler
    • Let me contradict the norm by saying light weight isn't the be all and end all.
      Decide for yourself what features you really want, and then shop for that.
      My last pack purchase, a Gregory Baltoro 75 weighs 6 pounds, but it is sooooooooooo comfortable.
      It's also huge because in winter it's not unusual for me to be carrying 3 sleeping bags. 1 for the dog and 2 for me.
      Despite it's weight, it was the most comfortable, high volume, bag I found.
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Let me contradict the norm by saying light weight isn't the be all and end all.

you are, of course, 100% correct. "light weight" is not a synonym for "best" although that is what most hikers believe.

Correct -- it depends greatly on the manner and style of hiking. The more the focus is on long-distance, the more you'll hear about light weight as a virtue. Light weight is not usually a feature of winter hiking, though.
    • rafe wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

you are, of course, 100% correct. "light weight" is not a synonym for "best" although that is what most hikers believe.

Correct -- it depends greatly on the manner and style of hiking. The more the focus is on long-distance, the more you'll hear about light weight as a virtue. Light weight is not usually a feature of winter hiking, though.

Thus why I am glad to my month long section hikes of the AT are in the summer. If I do get to do a thru-hike someday I am now convinced I would want to start in May instead of March.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

My last pack purchase, a Gregory Baltoro 75 weighs 6 pounds, but it is sooooooooooo comfortable.
      It's also huge because in winter it's not unusual for me to be carrying 3 sleeping bags. 1 for the dog and 2 for me.

you're doing it wrong!!!!!!
      its all good
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I think April is a good compromise. I hiked the southern 150 miles starting April 16 in 2013 and it wasn't bad, not too cold at night, got some sunburn in the day, and crowds really weren't bad.

If I retired I would do April. But now (after my children are grown) my choices are either early March-mid August or early May-mid October.
    • Re: Deuter packs

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I think April is a good compromise. I hiked the southern 150 miles starting April 16 in 2013 and it wasn't bad, not too cold at night, got some sunburn in the day, and crowds really weren't bad.

If I retired I would do April. But now (after my children are grown) my choices are either early March-mid August or early May-mid October.

Those are good times to hike too. The only bad times are November thru February but then I have no winter gear.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Those are good times to hike too. The only bad times are November thru February but then I have no winter gear.

And if you did have winter gear, it would be heavier.
    • You would be doing urself a disservice not to check out zpacks.com/
      Joe makes some incredible gear, and will customize anything he makes to ur spec's, or will suggest something based on ur needs... The Arc Blast is simply amazing... JMO :whistling: ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Toli ().

• twistwrist wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My bike and I love us some mountain twisties! I actually may consider the drive. It's only a half hour farther than REI. Right on!

If you ride up to Neel Gap, you might as well just ride "6 Gap" too... Throw in Craig's' Gap for a lucky 7!!! I can't tell you how many times I've ridden that, on my road bikes, motor and bicycle :D ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • hikerboy wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

you're doing it wrong!!!!!!

Well, you don't know how glad I am to hear that! :D
    • Deuter in Europe is pretty much what Osprey is in the US.
      They make quality backpacks, use great material and have nice suspensions.

For many of my friends Deuter was their first dedicated backpack for the outdoors.
      All but one stopped using them because they are just too heavy and have way too many bells and whistles.

I think there are better options out there that are lighter and pretty comfortable to carry.
      ULA and Six Moon Designs come to mind.
    • GoodGerman wrote:

Deuter in Europe is pretty much what Osprey is in the US.
      They make quality backpacks, use great material and have nice suspensions.

For many of my friends Deuter was their first dedicated backpack for the outdoors.
      All but one stopped using them because they are just too heavy and have way too many bells and whistles.

I think there are better options out there that are lighter and pretty comfortable to carry.
      ULA and Six Moon Designs come to mind.

That's me.
    • Toli wrote:

You would be doing urself a disservice not to check out zpacks.com/
      Joe makes some incredible gear, and will customize anything he makes to ur spec's, or will suggest something based on ur needs... The Arc Blast is simple amazing... JMO :whistling: ...

My only concern is buying a pack I haven't tried on. They look nice as hell though. Tempting...