Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Black Canyon Az,Nv

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Black Canyon Az,Nv

Black canyon should be on everyone's list if they are ever around Hoover Dam.

This is a kayaking/canoeing river with a lot of side trails. The trails go to hot springs and hot spring waterfalls. We rented kayaks and a shuttle who took care of permits for us. We met at 9am and after a very short drive we went through the strict checkpoint and unloaded the kayaks. We were both kinda nervous and not sure what to expect. But we had no problems the whole trip.

We put in and headed down the Colorado. Our first stop was the sauna followed by Gold Strike Canyon for a hike up to some hot springs. We put back in and stopped at Boyscout Canyon for lunch and some more hiking to hot springs. The third hot spring waterfall I had to use a rope to get up. We then headed back down the wash. We found out that all we had to do was follow any dry wash up and sooner or later we would find the springs.

We spent the rest of the day floating through the canyon. The water was so clear you could see 30 feet down. The water was cold too. A constant 54*. We made camp at Arizona Beach where some more Hotsprings were located. I had left our hiking poles in our luggage at the car for our tent. I totally forgot I needed them. Luckily the kayak paddles worked. My wife said there was noway she was going to cowboy camp.

We woke up and headed down the canyon. We still had 8 miles to go with a slight head wind. We would our way down looking in awe at the scenery and made it to the take out with an hour to spare. It was hot and and we were hot and the marina sold cold beer!!!!!
    • We used Desert Adventures. They are also called kayaklasvegas.com. If you plan on going over a weekend or a busy time, be sure to reserve in advance because you need a permit. Our shuttle driver told us only 150 cameras a day in the gorge. They must count the tour boat that come up on huge inflatable pontoon boats towards that 150. The first day we only saw two canoes. The next day we saw about 8 kayaks. A the take out we had to wait on 12 paddlers that started early in the morning and did it as a day trip. If you do it as a day trip a person would have a hard time checking out the Hotsprings and hiking the different trails.
      We had such a good time we are planning for our return trip for October of next year too. This time we will do two nights in the canyon. But first we are hiking to Havasu Falls again. We like the idea of Hotsprings after a hike!