Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Free Samples

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Free Samples

I have a bunch of cuben fiber scraps of different weights and some waterproof breathable pertex endurance. With some you could make a 3 x 5 sack, but I thought I'd offer to mail them out to anyone who was curious about cuben fiber or wp breathable fabrics and would like some to play with. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I got some free samples from jimmyjam today. Thanks JJ! I can't wait to get started on some stuff.
      So I wonder if Jimmy and Traffic are related? Both members of the Jam family???
      BTW, JJ's last CF creation arrived in the mail yesterday. Thanks much!
      You are both very welcome. We jam'in
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My new bag, courtesy of JJ and his old bathtub floor. It's made from 2.2 coated silnylon. I needed something sturdy so my knitting needles wouldn't poke through.

I used this youtube video.

It was fun to make but sewing on the round bottom was tricky. Heck, cutting a true circle was tricky and mine was football shaped but doesn't look too bad. The green Spectra cord was all I had. I'll replace it with something lighter and thinner but it looks pretty cool with the green thread.
      Images
      • image.jpg

60.21 kB, 559×600, viewed 354 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • JJ, I"m not getting a tight close with the drawstring on my bag. Is that because the string is too thick?

Also, I want to make a new FAK with the Cuben fiber that you sent. I'm currently using one of your small bags but it's a little too small. It looks like you put tape over the bottom and side seams, is that CF seam tape from ZPacks? How did you make the flat bottom? Did you use any specific instructions for your bags? Youtube videos would help.

Thanks!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JJ, I"m not getting a tight close with the drawstring on my bag. Is that because the string is too thick?

Also, I want to make a new FAK with the Cuben fiber that you sent. I'm currently using one of your small bags but it's a little too small. It looks like you put tape over the bottom and side seams, is that CF seam tape from ZPacks? How did you make the flat bottom? Did you use any specific instructions for your bags? Youtube videos would help.

Thanks!
      Probably is the drawstring.

Yes, it is the 3M tape from Zpacks. Quest also has a clear mylar tape that works as well. If you click on Articles under my Avatar I have a How to make a ditty bag article. If you are looking for a rectangle bottom on your bag make it just like my How to and then turn it inside out and flatten out the bottom and then stitch across the corners making a triangle at each corner. When you turn it right side out it will have a flat rectangular ( or square ) bottom. I got the instructions from Ray Jardine's book.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JJ, I"m not getting a tight close with the drawstring on my bag. Is that because the string is too thick?

Thanks!
      Probably is the drawstring.
      Yes, it is the 3M tape from Zpacks. Quest also has a clear mylar tape that works as well. If you click on Articles under my Avatar I have a How to make a ditty bag article. If you are looking for a rectangle bottom on your bag make it just like my How to and then turn it inside out and flatten out the bottom and then stitch across the corners making a triangle at each corner. When you turn it right side out it will have a flat rectangular ( or square ) bottom. I got the instructions from Ray Jardine's book.
      Thank you. I forgot you had posted your ditty bag instructions.