Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Comfortably Light

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Comfortably Light

Well Rasty - your gear List is awesome...

I won't rip the nylon there ...

Your knife sucks... move away from cheap stainless... you wont regret it.
      dump the esbit to one for an emergency.
      Cellphone is your camera
      No MP3 - thats your cell
      head net for bugs

was there a micro bic?

Honest.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Comfortably Light

Funny enough I just found a photo from the cafe hike last January. I was wearing my 70 liter pack that was only about 34lbs, standing just downhill was Lazarus with a pack that looked half the size.

[EDIT] I suppose I should actually read the thread before responding...
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Comfortably Light

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well Rasty - your gear List is awesome...

I won't rip the nylon there ...

Your knife sucks... move away from cheap stainless... you wont regret it.
      dump the esbit to one for an emergency.
      Cellphone is your camera
      No MP3 - thats your cell
      head net for bugs

was there a micro bic?

Honest.

The lighter is a full size + backup matches. I didn't include them because I did the list when I was still smoking and a lighter was attached to my pocket at all times. I know how to sharpen stainless steel and only use it for cutting sausage and cheese.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Comfortably Light

namtrag wrote:

alite monarch?

No, that's not it. It's just like a mini hammock. No frame or anything. You just hang it on a branch and I was just wondering if it could be hung from the trunk of a tree with a strap. I can't remember the name of the thing. If I remember right it weighed just a few ounces.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Comfortably Light

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

alite monarch?

No, that's not it. It's just like a mini hammock. No frame or anything. You just hang it on a branch and I was just wondering if it could be hung from the trunk of a tree with a strap. I can't remember the name of the thing. If I remember right it weighed just a few ounces.

I think they call that a wedgy.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Comfortably Light

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

alite monarch?

That things huge.
      http://www.zurifurniture.com/living/wedge-swivel-chair?gclid=COTq4MXiuLsCFWRk7AodiTMAKA
      And if you ain't careful when we me I'm gonna give you a swirly.
    • Comfortably Light

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

alite monarch?

That things huge.
      http://www.zurifurniture.com/living/wedge-swivel-chair?gclid=COTq4MXiuLsCFWRk7AodiTMAKA

You probably could do it too...... if you could catch me.
    • Comfortably Light

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

alite monarch?

That things huge.

You probably could do it too...... if you could catch me.

I'll bait you with cheesecake.
    • Comfortably Light

BirdBrain wrote:

I like free cookies.

I would be happy to send you some cookies. I have truly been enjoying the Maine trip thread. But I stopped reading after you called me (and others who don't care to read profanity) a weenie. That was bad enough, then someone else called me a humourless liberal. Sticks and stones but I don't particularly care to be ridiculed. Sucks the joy right out of the experience.
    • Comfortably Light

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I like free cookies.

I would be happy to send you some cookies. I have truly been enjoying the Maine trip thread. But I stopped reading after you called me (and others who don't care to read profanity) a weenie. That was bad enough, then someone else called me a humourless liberal. Sticks and stones but I don't particularly care to be ridiculed. Sucks the joy right out of the experience.

I am truly sorry. There has been a misunderstanding. I am a weenie that does not like profanity. I never intended to call anyone else one. Honest. I get silly and laugh at self and don't express things perfectly at times. I honestly was referring to myself.
    • Comfortably Light

BirdBrain wrote:

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I like free cookies.

I am truly sorry. There has been a misunderstanding. I am a weenie that does not like profanity. I never intended to call anyone else one. Honest. I get silly and laugh at self and don't express things perfectly at times. I honestly was referring to myself.

You better say something else. You're sitting on post 666. If you stay there too long something bad will happen. :evil:
    • Comfortably Light

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I like free cookies.

You better say something else. You're sitting on post 666. If you stay there too long something bad will happen. :evil:

Something bad already happened. I offended my biggest fan. I was referring to me over and over as a weenie that does not like profanity.
    • Comfortably Light

BirdBrain wrote:

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I like free cookies.

Thank you for clarifying, I obviously misunderstood. Sorry for taking so long to reply. Watching Mary Poppins and then my daughter called and we talked about the schedule for next week when she's here and also Downton Abbey so it took me awhile to get back. We're all good. Looking forward to catching up on Maine thread. :)
    • Comfortably Light

I know i am easily excited... but i am really excited now!!! i just got off the phone with the engineer/owner of Fluke ukuleles... i know him cause i play in his father in law's old man's ukulele band (yes, i am an old man). they make a soprano uke (the smallest...) which weighs 14 ounces... he's agreed to try to make modifications toward a dream-for-it target weight of 8 ounces. freekin unbelievable. light enough so i would even carry it. he just said to me that the lighter the instrument the better, acoustically. what a neat thing to have a backpacker instrument that actually sounds as good as the real thing.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Comfortably Light

I think that in the right circumstances, music on the trail is pretty cool. I'd be nervous about trying to carry a string instrument because they're pretty delicate - in particular, they're sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity. Of course we never get those on the trail, oh no sirree, never...

I'm also sure that if I carried any kind of instrument, I'd promptly take a header, land on my pack and crush it. Because that's how my luck runs.

And carrying a ukulele into Harriman isn't going to ruin anyone's wilderness experience, because you don't get a wilderness experience in suburbia. Even if it seemed like wilderness to me when I first went there as a city kid.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Comfortably Light

1azarus wrote:

I know i am easily excited... but i am really excited now!!! i just got off the phone with the engineer/owner of Fluke ukuleles... i know him cause i play in his father in law's old man's ukulele band (yes, i am an old man). they make a soprano uke (the smallest...) which weighs 14 ounces... he's agreed to try to make modifications toward a dream-for-it target weight of 8 ounces. freekin unbelievable. light enough so i would even carry it. he just said to me that the lighter the instrument the better, acoustically. what a neat thing to have a backpacker instrument that actually sounds as good as the real thing.
      Now that's interesting Laz...My Pop and his friend also a Luthier both agreed that my Dads instruments are built stronger and heavier and will be around a long time, but his buddy's sound better and are lighter. I've played them both and agree. Must be something about the harmonics or resonance frequencies. I look forward to see what Jumpin comes up with.