Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A valuable lesson learned - the car battery

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A valuable lesson learned - the car battery

Some cars are better than others. In preparing the Dodge Caravan for a BP trip yesterday opening and closing a motorized door. This morning I am all set and the car wouldn't start. I rolled the car back moved another and jumped it - it failed to jump at first.

Happy as a lark this happened at home and many thanks it did not happen way out in the woods on some back road. I just changed all the seating so I can sleep in the back and have the dog with me. I would have parked is some crazy spot where I would not be found and next to a trail.

So when I got to Sears I had them install a Marine Boat battery. It cost $250 and the sale wiped out the cost of installation. W/ 3 year warranty.

I can't afford getting stuck somewhere.

Just sharing... now I need a spare key. :thumbsup:
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I think WOO installed a deep cycle high cranking amp type battery. That's what I run in my jeep- an Ultima Battery, they are deep cycle in case you want run things off them like a winch or air compressor and have a lot amps for starting the motor. Mine was a $200 battery too.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

why just not get a regular car battery? curious what the advantage of putting a boat battery in a car is.

i'm a aaa member. my battery fails and they come to me. :)

On a caravan - all the non primary doors are on motors - the more you open and close the doors - the regular battery cant deliver and the car wont start.

I went past deep cycle, for a marine battery - You can't tell AAA where a trail head is or if you are on a gravel back road, and you may be too far to help. Marine is as close to zero failure and I am adding a battery monitor. Found out the full Anker takes all night to charge once.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: