Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Better Socks for hiking.... Smart on Dollars.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Better Socks for hiking.... Smart on Dollars.

On the way home from a 9 mile hike this afternoon, I stopped at REI and checked out the socks. I checked out the Hike/Trek Micro Crew Cushion Darn Tough socks and I liked them but still wanted to check out some Wright socks since I have used them exclusively on my hikes since 2008. Well, the ones that REI had no longer are made from merino wool. And I really like merino wool socks so I decided to go with the Darn Tough socks. Can't beat an unconditional lifetime guarantee. Also happy to support an American made product. Used my $.60 dividend on them.

Trillium wrote:

On the way home from a 9 mile hike this afternoon, I stopped at REI and checked out the socks. I checked out the Hike/Trek Micro Crew Cushion Darn Tough socks and I liked them but still wanted to check out some Wright socks since I have used them exclusively on my hikes since 2008. Well, the ones that REI had no longer are made from merino wool. And I really like merino wool socks so I decided to go with the Darn Tough socks. Can't beat an unconditional lifetime guarantee. Also happy to support an American made product. Used my $.60 dividend on them.

It seems to be a preferred brand so I plan to try them once I buy some trail runners. Hopefully that will be soon as I'm ruining my running shoes by hiking in them.
      Lost in the right direction.

I have 4 pairs of DT socks and a whole drawer full of other socks I never wear. I have used the warranty once to get a replacement for my first pair that eventually wore out. I typically will wear one pair for a week and then go to the next pair. After a month, I wash them and start the rotation over again. After a week, they still don't stink (but get a little stiff).
    • I'll never go back to smart wool after using Darn Tough. I've been using DT for atleast 5 years now. This spring/summer I tried the Wright socks because of a hiking buddy nagging me about them. They were alright, but still prefer DT. My wife uses the thinner DT's and likes them. I haven't tried the thinner ones yet.
    • Dmax wrote:

I'll never go back to smart wool after using Darn Tough. I've been using DT for atleast 5 years now. This spring/summer I tried the Wright socks because of a hiking buddy nagging me about them. They were alright, but still prefer DT. My wife uses the thinner DT's and likes them. I haven't tried the thinner ones yet.

i bought a couple pair of the double wright socks this winter and they have not lasted like they should have. they are much "softer" than the road runner socks i used to use. i went to rei to try the darn tough but my location doesn't carry them. should have bought some online which is what i intend to do this week.
      2,000 miler
    • Dmax wrote:

I'll never go back to smart wool after using Darn Tough. I've been using DT for atleast 5 years now. This spring/summer I tried the Wright socks because of a hiking buddy nagging me about them. They were alright, but still prefer DT. My wife uses the thinner DT's and likes them. I haven't tried the thinner ones yet.

So tell use which one you like the 5 function?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I'm wondering if DT has different styles and I got the wrong one, everyone seems to like them but I hate the pair I got, they have no stretch and bunch up under my feet, have a tight, hard weave...the Smartwool socks I wear to the gym are the most comfortable I've tried, would use them hiking but they're no show and I like a little something on the ankles to keep dirt off.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

I'm wondering if DT has different styles and I got the wrong one, everyone seems to like them but I hate the pair I got, they have no stretch and bunch up under my feet, have a tight, hard weave...the Smartwool socks I wear to the gym are the most comfortable I've tried, would use them hiking but they're no show and I like a little something on the ankles to keep dirt off.

i don't like them either. It's a fit issue for me.
    • Re: Better Socks for hiking.... Smart on Dollars.

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm wondering if DT has different styles and I got the wrong one, everyone seems to like them but I hate the pair I got, they have no stretch and bunch up under my feet, have a tight, hard weave...the Smartwool socks I wear to the gym are the most comfortable I've tried, would use them hiking but they're no show and I like a little something on the ankles to keep dirt off.

i don't like them either. It's a fit issue for me.

I know what you mean. Mine seem to fit ok at first and then are too tight around my ankles and stiff. And i am hand washing and air drying. Now my smartwools and rei brand stay soft.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • question about darn tough socks.

last week i threw away 2 pairs of socks i got at rei one year ago. $20 for both pair. i decided to give darn tough a try. bought one pair to make sure i could stand the merino wool against the skin. no problems there. $20 for one pair but with a lifetime warranty makes it a no-brainer.

i have remembered to dry them on low as the package says. what happens if i forget and dry them on high? or use a trail town dryer which is set on high? are these things gonna shrivel up to nothing or the shrinkage limited to what the low setting has done?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

question about darn tough socks.

last week i threw away 2 pairs of socks i got at rei one year ago. $20 for both pair. i decided to give darn tough a try. bought one pair to make sure i could stand the merino wool against the skin. no problems there. $20 for one pair but with a lifetime warranty makes it a no-brainer.

i have remembered to dry them on low as the package says. what happens if i forget and dry them on high? or use a trail town dryer which is set on high? are these things gonna shrivel up to nothing or the shrinkage limited to what the low setting has done?
      most darn toughs have a nylon blend,they hold their size pretty well.
      its all good
    • max.patch wrote:

question about darn tough socks.

I have only one pair of Darn Tough, hate them, never wear them, no stretch, they bunch up under my toes and make me curse. I have three pair of Smartwool no show that I've worn to the gym every day they were clean for about three years, they show no major sign of wear....love'um. I now buy only Smartwool for hiking, but the best pair of socks I've owned were Icebreakers...broke my heart when I melted them drying to dry them out beside a campfire.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

I like em, "darn toughs" but they're not my go to "wright sock"
      I ran in those double layer synthetic Wrights for many years, wouldn't mind trying them in wool.
      They are pretty comfortable, been wearing em for about 6-7 years now. My daughter found em in her clothes pile one day and said "Dad these are pretty nice socks" I said "Yup, put em back" :D so she did

Display Spoiler
      put em right in her pile
      8|
    • LIhikers wrote:

Imagine that, socks having an opinion about socks :D
      I like your sense of humor... And Socks...you can afford to go to Wally and take a peek... the Kevlar socks are affordable and the hiking talls with padding are there too. They are not in the camping area - they are in the mens area.

I am not try to change opinion here. If you like Darn Tough.. don't worry. I was huge on Smart Wool then changed my opinion when I could get reliable water resistant and water proof at Wally- I am now a convert I get better than comfortable socks and at this price - toss them when they suck. I look at the blend and weave and I am a happy hiker.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• WiseOldOwl wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Imagine that, socks having an opinion about socks :D
      I like your sense of humor... And Socks...you can afford to go to Wally and take a peek... the Kevlar socks are affordable and the hiking talls with padding are there too. They are not in the camping area - they are in the mens area.
      I am not try to change opinion here. If you like Darn Tough.. don't worry. I was huge on Smart Wool then changed my opinion when I could get reliable water resistant and water proof at Wally- I am now a convert I get better than comfortable socks and at this price - toss them when they suck. I look at the blend and weave and I am a happy hiker.
      I might actually look into those, my dogs are tired of getting shot at in the urban areas I walk...animals out here.
    • I used to be a big fan of Smartwool. I loved their PhD Ultralight Micro socks. They fit my feet great!

Unfortunately, I started to have issues with the elastic ankle cuff. I ran into multiple pair that seemed to have issues - It seemed like they went with a less expensive elastic. Drove me nuts when the sock would start sliding around.

This led me to try Darn Tough socks and now I am a convert. I usually put my socks out on the line to dry, or hang them on the drying rack. I have to admit they have accidentally gone in the dryer and they did not shrink, or come out any worse for wear.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

I used to be a big fan of Smartwool. I loved their PhD Ultralight Micro socks. They fit my feet great!

Unfortunately, I started to have issues with the elastic ankle cuff. I ran into multiple pair that seemed to have issues - It seemed like they went with a less expensive elastic. Drove me nuts when the sock would start sliding around.

This led me to try Darn Tough socks and now I am a convert. I usually put my socks out on the line to dry, or hang them on the drying rack. I have to admit they have accidentally gone in the dryer and they did not shrink, or come out any worse for wear.
      It is perfectly fine to occasionally put them in the dryer but they will last longer if the dryer and heat are avoided. Tumbling or constant abrading makes wool matted. Wool that is used for commercial socks such as Smartwool and Darn Tough has been treated to reduce matting and shrinkage but it still eventually happens. I have knitted many pairs of socks in all kinds of yarn... wool blended with nylon, superwash, and using all kinds of animal and plant fibers. The ones that last the longest, some as long as 20 years, are ones that I never put in the dryer.

In case this interests anyone...

straw.com/cpy/wisdom/why_wool_felts.html
    • hikerboy wrote:

ive washed my darn toughs countless times and dried them in a drier, and have had no problems with shrinkage. darn toughs are

61% Merino Wool, 36% Nylon, 3% Lycra® Spandex
      How often do you buy socks? ;)

Just teasing ... I guess I have been careful with my socks for so many years because I invest a lot of time, money and effort into making them that my brain will not accept putting them in the dryer. In my house, putting socks in the dryer is on the seven deadly sins list. :)
    • socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

ive washed my darn toughs countless times and dried them in a drier, and have had no problems with shrinkage. darn toughs are

I think Darn tough says turn em inside out???
      yep. i still have the cardboard packaging. warm water, gentle cycle, socks inside out. tumble dry on low.

the only thing i do right is the drying part. and tj says thats wrong. good thing we get free ones down the road. :)

edit: i'm going to take tj's advice and air dry them when i'm at home. at least when i remember. all bets are off when in a trail town, however.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

why, what does that do? anybody...TJ.
      I'm not sure
      Ya, always wondered about that...hmm

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

yep. i still have the cardboard packaging. warm water, gentle cycle, socks inside out. tumble dry on low.
      the only thing i do right is the drying part. and tj says thats wrong. good thing we get free ones down the road. :)
      I just could't bring some 4 year ol' raggedy broke toe sock into a store an ask for a new pair, I'd feel foolish to say the least.

...and perhaps I am for not taking them up on the offer.
    • socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I think Darn tough says turn em inside out???why, what does that do? anybody...TJ.
      I'm not sure

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

yep. i still have the cardboard packaging. warm water, gentle cycle, socks inside out. tumble dry on low.the only thing i do right is the drying part. and tj says thats wrong. good thing we get free ones down the road. :)
      I just could't bring some 4 year ol' raggedy broke toe sock into a store an ask for a new pair, I'd feel foolish to say the least.
      ...and perhaps I am for not taking them up on the offer.
      If they didn't mean it they shouldn't have said it.
    • Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I think Darn tough says turn em inside out???why, what does that do? anybody...TJ.
      I'm not sure

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

yep. i still have the cardboard packaging. warm water, gentle cycle, socks inside out. tumble dry on low.the only thing i do right is the drying part. and tj says thats wrong. good thing we get free ones down the road. :)
      I just could't bring some 4 year ol' raggedy broke toe sock into a store an ask for a new pair, I'd feel foolish to say the least....and perhaps I am for not taking them up on the offer.
      your right.
    • socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I'm not sure

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I just could't bring some 4 year ol' raggedy broke toe sock into a store an ask for a new pair, I'd feel foolish to say the least....and perhaps I am for not taking them up on the offer.
      your right.
      darntough.com/media/wysiwyg/DarnTough_WarrantyForm.pdf
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

Drybones wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I'm not sure

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

your right.
      darntough.com/media/wysiwyg/DarnTough_WarrantyForm.pdf
      Yup, I know...I just feel wierd bringging in some dirty ol' stanky azz sock....unless it was for the aforementioned. :D
    • socks wrote:

I might do that as a joke though, that be funny as hell, I ruin that sock so bad, wipe my dogs butt with it, and let it sit in the street for a week....I may do this. :D
      Thee aforementioned. :D

I mean I'd do that to a couple of the guys I know at my local outfitter. and ya know what, they'd give the new socks too. :)