Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The GORP Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The GORP Thread

I suppose we need a thread on gorp.

What's in your gorp?

I have gone for calorie density. It has been 2oz of macadamia nuts, 2oz of brazil nuts, and 2oz of Reese's Pieces. After 2 states the brazil nuts are not cutting it. I think I am going to replace them with 2oz vanilla yogurt raisins.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • My "gorp" gets less healthy every trip...

Last winter i just took a pound of these with me:

[IMG:http://mommyofamonster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/trader_joes_dark_chocolate_peanut_butter_cups.jpg]

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

I suppose we need a thread on gorp.

What's in your gorp?

I have gone for calorie density. It has been 2oz of macadamia nuts, 2oz of brazil nuts, and 2oz of Reese's Pieces. After 2 states the brazil nuts are not cutting it. I think I am going to replace them with 2oz vanilla yogurt raisins.

i wouldn't like having 1/3 of my gorp brazil nuts either. your replacement would be too sweet for me; if i had to replace the brazil nuts with one item it would be cashews.

HBs gorp sounds like a mix i would like.

my gorp mixture changes constantly.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

At home I love nuts of any kind.
      When hiking I get dehydrated some and my mouth is too dry to eat nuts. I tend to gag on them.
      So I wind up snacking on dried fruit a lot.

That was my issue with the brazil nuts. I love them at home. I stubbornly ate them on the trail, but never enjoyed them. They are too dry. The macadamia nuts are not as dry. And there is no issue with the Reese's Pieces. I think switching to cashews as MP suggested might work for me. This 6oz mixture (2oz macadamia nuts, 2oz cashews, and 2oz Reese's Pieces) will provide about 1013 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fiber. The cashews and macadamias are more oily. I will know better on my next walk.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• After calculating my gorp numbers, I decided to calculate an entire day. The numbers surprised me.

Sugary Oatmeal (2 pkg) 320 calories, 8 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber
      Cherry Poptarts (2) 400 calories, 4 grams of protein, 1 gram of fiber
      Gorp (6 oz) 1013.21 calories, 20.19 grams of protein, 7.94 grams of fiber
      Pepperoni Sticks (2) 280 calories, 10 grams of protein, 0 grams of fiber
      Knorr’s Sides (1 pkg) 440 calories, 16 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber

Total - 1.3 pounds per day, 2453.21 calories, 58.19 grams of protein, 18.94 grams of fiber

I am surprised that the calorie total is this low. Somehow, I am never hungry though. I am pleased with the protein and fiber numbers. I thought they would be lower.

It is my opinion that nutrition on the trail is like pack weight. A large percentage of people don't calculate the numbers. Many that do, exaggerate their "findings". Reality offers a benchmark to improve on. Like anything else, I am going to ponder these numbers and see if I can improve on them.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

It is my opinion that nutrition on the trail is like pack weight. A large percentage of people don't calculate the numbers. Many that do, exaggerate their "findings". Reality offers a benchmark to improve on. Like anything else, I am going to ponder these numbers and see if I can improve on them.

i think there is a lot of truth in your conclusion. even back in the dark ages when i thru'd it was "common knowlege" that thru hikers ate 5,000 calories a day. something gets repeated enough and it become the truth.

i will admit that when asked i also said that i ate 5,000 calories a day. but i never sat down and calculated the number. maybe it was higher. maybe it was lower. i have no idea. i was repeating "the truth" as i knew it.

i am confident, however, that once i hit pennsylvania or so that i exceeded 5,000 calories in town. easily. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Given my findings, my 1st thought is to drop the pepperoni sticks for another carb. I have plenty of protein and not enough calories. I was struggling with how to fit tuna in my menu. That is no longer a thought for me. Protein is an issue for many hikers. They don't get enough. I am not getting enough calories. Thinking.......
    • BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

Craisins, pistachios, and M&M's.

I wanted to make this the other day but couldn't afford the no-shell pistachios. I'm going to look for them at trader joes this week.

I love Trader Joe's. They also have great flowers.

Shelled or unshelled? Salted or unsalted? Chocolate covered flowers - hmm.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

I wanted to make this the other day but couldn't afford the no-shell pistachios. I'm going to look for them at trader joes this week.

I love Trader Joe's. They also have great flowers.

Shelled or unshelled? Salted or unsalted? Chocolate covered flowers - hmm.

Okay, to avoid any confusion, I'm going to just say shell-less :). And unsalted. A small bag was $10 at the grocery store. And WTH is up with meat? I'm going to have to become a vegetarian.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

And WTH is up with meat? I'm going to have to become a vegetarian.

I could explain the economic forces that created this. It is not that complicated. However, it would start a political rant that would ruin this thread. I warned my mother about this 4 years ago. It was very easy to see coming. Other things are coming. Hold on to your shorts and be prepared to change.
    • Malto and Just Bill (?) were going to town on this topic on TOS a while back, pulling out numbers left and right. A couple of quants going at it -- they should both work on Wall Street designing "financial instruments." And here I was thinking that I over-engineered my hikes; no way.

Eat what tastes good to you. That can change according to season, weather, and whim. I often pick up oddities at Trader Joes, sometimes they're OK and sometimes not. Bulk bins at Whole Foods have other interesting items. Market Basket has candy in bulk bins, I like Tootsie Rolls (various flavors) Mary Janes, Smarties. Especially Smarties.

Dried pineapple is plenty sweet, must be lots of carbs in it. I've taken that along on many trips. I've mentioned Halvah, I'm sure. It's insanely delicious, and seriously loaded with carbs, fat and protein. It's made primarily from ground sesame seeds. In hot weather I like those peanut butter crackers, or variations thereof. Dark chocolate suits me most of the time, won't melt as fast as the chocolate in most candy bars.

Macadamia nuts are awfully tasty, I can eat 'em any time but they're wicked pricey.
    • max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

i think there is a lot of truth in your conclusion. even back in the dark ages when i thru'd it was "common knowlege" that thru hikers ate 5,000 calories a day. something gets repeated enough and it become the truth.

i will admit that when asked i also said that i ate 5,000 calories a day. but i never sat down and calculated the number. maybe it was higher. maybe it was lower. i have no idea. i was repeating "the truth" as i knew it.

i am confident, however, that once i hit pennsylvania or so that i exceeded 5,000 calories in town. easily. :)

How did you ever succeed at a thru without calculating ever gram in your pack, calorie in your food , and inch between camp sites? :D
    • Re: The GORP Thread

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

i get them at costco.

i just back from costco. $21 for 2 pounds. wtf is going on with the price of nuts??!!!

(i left em on the rack.)

going nuts of course ! the pistacheos get kinda soft in the gorp anyway.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

going nuts of course ! the pistacheos get kinda soft in the gorp anyway.

That's right. I found that out not long ago and forgot to mention it. I carry them in a zip lock in the craisins bag with M&M's in it. I like the craisins bag because it's heavy duty with a good zip lock on it. A gal told me about them pistachios. Said they suck the moisture out of the craisins or raisins.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

How did you ever succeed at a thru without calculating ever gram in your pack, calorie in your food , and inch between camp sites? :D

i weighed my pack (for the first time ever) on the bathroom scale with 5 days of food and 2 quarts of water the night before i left. 53 pounds. i didn't know how much it should weigh -- this was pre internet so i didn't have a bunch of experts :) to give me an answer -- but i knew that was more than i needed to carry. told myself i wasn't leaving until i got it down to 50 pounds. which i did.

dropped another 5 pounds by the time i hit damascus and thats pretty much where it stayed.

until i hit monson. i knew i could do the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days, but i wanted the ability to linger and go slow if i wanted to do so. so i left town with 10 days of food, plus a rotisserie chicken and a can of coke for supper the first night. it was starting to get cold so i bought a cotton sweatshirt and some other cold weather gear. if the scale at the old church hostel can be believed i left town at 62 pounds. thats the most i've ever carried, and thats a personal record that will never get broken. hopefully.
      2,000 miler
    • True story, I was at Daicey Pond shelter in the fall of 1990 about to embark southbound for Monson the following morning. My pack was stupendously heavy, probably 55-60 lbs; I'd packed food for about 10 days. Ward Leonard came breezing through. We had a few words, not particularly friendly. He looked at my pack, looked at me, said "You aint no thru-hiker" and took off in a southerly direction. So I can't argue the point, he was right, I aint no thru-hiker. But I did make it to Monson in seven days and had one heck of an excellent adventure. A righteous, religious hike, amazing memories. (Photo of Daicey Pond taken shortly before this occurred.)
      Images
      • daicey_pond.JPG

525.63 kB, 1,110×772, viewed 385 times
    • I went into the 100 mile wilderness with 10 days if food and water and my pack weighed 41 lbs. That will never heavy again for me too. I will be carrying the same amount of days worth at the start of the Long Trail next year. My pack will weigh close to 33 lbs. It will be lighter than that if I can talk myself into HB's tent.
    • For what it's worth, my pack at Abol Bridge on my 2nd pass through (2010) was around 35-40 lbs. I did it in 7 days, again. Not the same campsites or shelters as the first time. Food planning on the 2nd pass was right on target but with no margin for error. I could maybe have done one more day before it ran out.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

After calculating my gorp numbers, I decided to calculate an entire day. The numbers surprised me.

Total - 1.3 pounds per day, 2453.21 calories, 58.19 grams of protein, 18.94 grams of fiber

I am surprised that the calorie total is this low. Somehow, I am never hungry though. I am pleased with the protein and fiber numbers. I thought they would be lower.

max.patch wrote:

My current daily food mix is at 1887 calories per lb. I would like to raise that ratio while maintaining a diet that is edible.

Therefore, I challenge anyone to come up with a 2000 calorie per lb diet that you would actually eat on the trail.

I am off to the store with my calculator to find a suitable replacement for my pepperoni sticks that will raise that ratio.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

After calculating my gorp numbers, I decided to calculate an entire day. The numbers surprised me.

max.patch wrote:

My current daily food mix is at 1887 calories per lb. I would like to raise that ratio while maintaining a diet that is edible.

Therefore, I challenge anyone to come up with a 2000 calorie per lb diet that you would actually eat on the trail.

I am off to the store with my calculator to find a suitable replacement for my pepperoni sticks that will raise that ratio.

4 snickers bars and 7 ounces of soppressatta
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123