Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The GORP Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I took my calculator into the store with me thinking I would make progress. Instead, I came out with a headache. First I calculated the calories in 100 grams of my pepperoni sticks and came up with 523. That was a huge surprise. Then I went to my poptarts and found out they were only 416 calories per 100 grams. The highest I could find for a Little Debbie's snack was 470 calories per 100 grams. Arrrrghhh!! Nothing makes sense. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know much.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I took my calculator into the store with me thinking I would make progress. Instead, I came out with a headache. First I calculated the calories in 100 grams of my pepperoni sticks and came up with 523. That was a huge surprise. Then I went to my poptarts and found out they were only 416 calories per 100 grams. The highest I could find for a Little Debbie's snack was 470 calories per 100 grams. Arrrrghhh!! Nothing makes sense. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know much.

i'm doing the math in my head, but i don't believe your calorie count for the pepperoni. if the pepperoni was half fat and half protein your calorie count would be 650 (50*9 + 50*4). and i'm betting the fat to protein ratio is probably 2 to 1.

its been a long day and maybe i just don't see something obvious. if i'm wrong please take the opportunity to beat me up.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I took my calculator into the store with me thinking I would make progress. Instead, I came out with a headache. First I calculated the calories in 100 grams of my pepperoni sticks and came up with 523. That was a huge surprise. Then I went to my poptarts and found out they were only 416 calories per 100 grams. The highest I could find for a Little Debbie's snack was 470 calories per 100 grams. Arrrrghhh!! Nothing makes sense. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know much.

i'm doing the math in my head, but i don't believe your calorie count for the pepperoni. if the pepperoni was half fat and half protein your calorie count would be 650 (50*9 + 50*4). and i'm betting the fat to protein ratio is probably 2 to 1.

its been a long day and maybe i just don't see something obvious. if i'm wrong please take the opportunity to beat me up.

Pepperoni is a straight sausage which is usually around 25% fat 3:1 ratio. Emulsified sausage like baloney is around 40% fat.5:4:3 ratio of fat:meat:water
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

ok. ignore everything i said. i shouldn't do math when i'm tired. :(

No! You can't make me. The numbers don't make sense to me either. :)

Hmmm... I have never seen these calculations. Following your calorie ratios and Rasty's content ratios I calculate 75*4 + 25*9=525. That is really close to the claimed 523.8. Maybe it does make sense.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Hmmm... I have never seen these calculations. Following your calorie ratios and Rasty's content ratios I calculate 75*4 + 25*9=525. That is really close to the claimed 523.8. Maybe it does make sense.

I told you I was a culinary genius! :)
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm going to leave this discussion with the knowledge that pepperoni is healthier than i thot it was and that i should be eating more of it. :)

You should know that the culinary genius is right about the Snickers suggestion too. Snickers has a calorie density of 511 calories per 100 grams. Looks like my Pop Tarts are toast.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

My current daily food mix is at 1887 calories per lb. I would like to raise that ratio while maintaining a diet that is edible.

Therefore, I challenge anyone to come up with a 2000 calorie per lb diet that you would actually eat on the trail.

I was told there'd be no math.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

My current daily food mix is at 1887 calories per lb. I would like to raise that ratio while maintaining a diet that is edible.

Therefore, I challenge anyone to come up with a 2000 calorie per lb diet that you would actually eat on the trail.

I was told there'd be no math.

It's optional
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Fat and meat deliver the right kind of calories Snickers delivers too much unwanted sugar and has a crash on the pancreas.

I agree woo, not to mention, all this sugar consumption is a major contributor to adult onset diabetes. However, I must add, we used to enjoy the game of.... whoever is on point leaves a snickers for the one trailing, and so on... When trudging up a trail...SURPRISE SNICKERS :)
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I am off to the store with my calculator to find a suitable replacement for my pepperoni sticks that will raise that ratio.

milkman wrote:

4 Jumbo Iced Honey Buns. And, you can get them at Walmart. 2320 calories - 15.943843oz.
      walmart.com/ip/Fresh-Baked-Sna…d-Honey-Bun-4-oz/23740898

Your numbers work. :thumbsup: However, I think you missed an important detail. :whistling: I am not sure any hiker would find your solution to be an acceptable day in and day out trail diet. <X
    • BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I am off to the store with my calculator to find a suitable replacement for my pepperoni sticks that will raise that ratio.

milkman wrote:

4 Jumbo Iced Honey Buns. And, you can get them at Walmart. 2320 calories - 15.943843oz.
      walmart.com/ip/Fresh-Baked-Sna…d-Honey-Bun-4-oz/23740898

Your numbers work. :thumbsup: However, I think you missed an important detail. :whistling: I am not sure any hiker would find your solution to be an acceptable day in and day out trail diet. <X

You could always put a slice of spam and a package of bacon in between 2 of them and make a sandwich. Maybe throw in some cheese.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • If I ever stopped to analyze my food the way you guys are I'd give up hiking.
      My plan is to figure the number of days I expect to be out and then throw enough food in the bag for that time period.
      Sure, I always wind up with too much food, but instead of my brain hurting, my shoulders do, and my belly is full. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

If I ever stopped to analyze my food the way you guys are I'd give up hiking.
      My plan is to figure the number of days I expect to be out and then throw enough food in the bag for that time period.
      Sure, I always wind up with too much food, but instead of my brain hurting, my shoulders do, and my belly is full. :)

Don't pick on "them". I am the only one obsessing. They are just being nice and talking to me while I obsess. Besides, I don't think about that stuff while out there. I obsess about it when I can't be out there.
    • i'm looking at the 3 pound jar of jif extra crunchy peanut butter that i picked up at costco a couple days ago. there are 8,170 calories in the jar.

that works out to 2,723 calories per pound.

make the jar last for 4 days and that gives you 2,042 calories per day. 12 ounces per day.

so buy a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter for every day you are out and you've got your 2,000 calories in a lightweight portion controlled container. perfect.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm looking at the 3 pound jar of jif extra crunchy peanut butter that i picked up at costco a couple days ago. there are 8,170 calories in the jar.

make the jar last for 4 days and that gives you 2,042 calories per day. 12 ounces per day.

so buy a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter for every day you are out and you've got your 2,000 calories in a lightweight portion controlled container. perfect.

"...that you would actually eat on the trail."

I am smiling. I hope you guys are too. I know I provide comic relief (I hope). However, I am serious. No one is going to eat peanut butter for a month straight. I have peanut butter in my menu. It is in my gorp. However, I aint just gonna' carry peanut butter. Calories are not the only factor. It is important. So is protein and fiber and sodium and taste.

Per Rasty's suggestion, I gained 100 calories by swapping my PopTarts for Snickers. This gets me to 1961.54 calories per lbs. Getting close. :P

Okay... get back to the chuckling. I am enjoying it too. gif.014.gif

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'm looking at the 3 pound jar of jif extra crunchy peanut butter that i picked up at costco a couple days ago. there are 8,170 calories in the jar.

"...that you would actually eat on the trail."

I am smiling. I hope you guys are too. I know I provide comic relief (I hope). However, I am serious. No one is going to eat peanut butter for a month straight. I have peanut butter in my menu. It is in my gorp. However, I aint just gonna' carry peanut butter. Calories are not the only factor. It is important. So is protein and fiber and sodium and taste.

Per Rasty's suggestion, I gained 100 calories by swapping my PopTarts for Snickers. This gets me to 1961.54 calories per lbs. Getting close. :P

Okay... get back to the chuckling. I am enjoying it too. gif.014.gif

If it was the White Chocolate Peanut Butter I found at Walmart the other day, I sure would be tempted to. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i just got back from publix, which is a grocery store located only in the south, and i noticed that the 13 ounce jar of nutella has exactly 2,000 calories.

i don't eat this cuz i think its nasty, but many thrus rave about nutella with m&m's in a tortilla.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i just got back from publix, which is a grocery store located only in the south, and i noticed that the 13 ounce jar of nutella has exactly 2,000 calories.

i don't eat this cuz i think its nasty, but many thrus rave about nutella with m&m's in a tortilla.

I dislike that you dislike nutella...it's wonderful. I don't buy it because it's dangerous for me to have in my house. :)

One of my favorite meals when hiking with my niece was nutella on bread. Even though we had better stuff planned for dinner, that's all we wanted because it was so good.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I told you I was a culinary genius! :)

Yea once you go for chocolate... you cant go back

[IMG:http://cre8tivecompass.com/mag/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Ms-Brown-transparent1.png]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

It is my opinion that nutrition on the trail is like pack weight. A large percentage of people don't calculate the numbers. Many that do, exaggerate their "findings". Reality offers a benchmark to improve on. Like anything else, I am going to ponder these numbers and see if I can improve on them.

i think there is a lot of truth in your conclusion. even back in the dark ages when i thru'd it was "common knowlege" that thru hikers ate 5,000 calories a day. something gets repeated enough and it become the truth.

i will admit that when asked i also said that i ate 5,000 calories a day. but i never sat down and calculated the number. maybe it was higher. maybe it was lower. i have no idea. i was repeating "the truth" as i knew it.

i am confident, however, that once i hit pennsylvania or so that i exceeded 5,000 calories in town. easily. :)

I spent the night at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, he dropped us off at the shopping center to eat and resupply, I had a large Mexican meal, pie, several beers and was waiting on a bench outside to be picked up, I couldn't resist eating the 18 oz loaf of glazed raisen bread I had intended to put in my pack for the next day, I'm guessing that loaf of bread alone had 2700 calories....and I went to bed hungry that night.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm coming late to the party, but I usually carry BJ's Wholesale Club's "Dried Fruit and Nut Mix," plain M&M's, and pretzel nuggets, separately, and take a handful of whatever it feels as if I need. I find that if I leave out the dried fruit, I tend to get plugged up on the trail, and since I can't squat for very long without triggering some joint problems, I want NOT to get plugged.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • More product research. This is the most calorie dense version of Snickers. It is 0.08 oz lighter than the regular type and has the government mandated 250 calorie limit. I am budgeting 2 packs per day. They come in a double pack. Buying them should save a bit of weight in packaging. Given the lower weight and my plans to carry as much as 10 days of food, this will result in a 1.6 oz weight savings.