Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stelth Shelters Explained

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

July wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It seems to me that stealth camping has less impact on the environment than overused campsites.

This is true TJ, depending on the responsibility of the stealth campers. Generally, all I have encountered over the years are respectful and LNT. Hey, thats why we stealth :) On the AT with thousands rolling thru every year, concentrating all of these hikers into designated spots is IMO SMART. Imagine the potential chaos, alot of these people have never even hiked before.

its a double edged sword. the shelters and sites this spring were overcrowded and filthy. to some extent, if you tore down the shelters and went to dispersed camping , it would keep a lot of wannabe hikers away. its good to keep the impact limited, but i dont see how the southern at can survive if it keeps on getting more crowded.when i came off the bmt and hit the at at davenport gap, i was almost overwhelmed with how crowded the sites were, sometimes upwards of 30+ at a few shelters

Yes hb, during the spring rush, crazy crowded. I have seen a couple shelter locations relocated or eliminated over time. Allowing for the area to heal. This takes years, if not decades. What you have to consider is that when accessing a heavily trafficked shelter, if you close it, where will the impact fall. You are correct.. overcrowded and filthy, but, this is where the peeps want to stay, eat,and talk. Keep it concentrated. This gives the 'crowd' a plan. Also popular areas such as GSMNP, obviously have started to tighten regulations as to registration and permits. As you referenced the Southern AT, a hiker hates to fill forms and pay fees...but, things don't need to run amuck. Crowd control, now everybody's wantin' to Hike :D

I understand both sides of this issue. HB says if you tear down the shelters it will keep away a lot of wanna-be hikers. Staying in shelters eased my way into hiking and I might never have tried it without them...who knows? In the past year, I've realized that I don't like being around a lot of people when I'm out in the woods. I want more people to get out and hike but I don't want them out there when I'm hiking...I'm a hypocrite. I will likely never thru-hike the AT, the crowds would get old real fast.

the crowds never get old. you form lifetime friendships.

the shelters arent going to be torn down, they are just too much a part of the heritage and intent of the at.it was designed for exactly the reason that brought you into the woods.
      its all good
    • The crowds thin out very fast, probably 50% drop out the first week and another 25% the second, it's pretty easy to find a spot to camp alone if you want. I tend to be a loner but found I enjoyed the company of a few most of the time, after a couple of weeks you establish a relationship with a few hikers that travel at the same speed as you.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • The closer a shelter is to a road, the more I hate them. They attract too many beer bottles and the people carrying them. But then again, the further the shelter is away from the road, the worse the privy is. The worst privy I saw was at Logan Brook Lean-to. That privy caused a 17 mile day. We hiked on to Sidney Tappan over White Cap just to get away from the smell and the noise of the flies.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Proximity to a road is never a good thing for shelters or for camping. To be avoided if at all possible. Way back when, shelters were located close to roads, presumably to benefit the caretakers, or so I was told. This is slowly being undone, shelters are being "moved" back further into the woods and uphill.

Contrary to BB, I've never chosen (or rejected) a campsite or shelter based on a privy. Maybe I've never encountered one as bad as he describes.
    • Tips from a website. BIKE TOURING PRO

Camp above any nearby roads or trails. People tend
      to look down more than they look up… and climbing uphill is difficult,
      so it is less likely that others will come looking for you if you are up
      high. Plus, from up high, you can look down on others who might be
      approaching your camp.

Use a brown, green or earth-toned tent to blend in with your surroundings. Camouflage works wonders when it comes to stealth camping.

Cover your tracks. Be sure to cover up or hide any
      foot prints or bicycle tracks that might lead people to your campsite.
      Even broken branches can lead a person to your camp, so try not to
      disturb the nature surrounding your stealth campsite.

Be able to call or signal for help if you get hurt, sick, etc. Carrying a flashlight, mirror, whistle, cell phone, or satellite phone might be a good idea.

The best stealth campgrounds aren’t always the most scenic. The goal is to blend in – not to stand out.

Don’t use lights at night unless you absolutely have to.
      Lights attract attention and can sometimes be seen from several
      miles/kilometers away. If you must use your light, use it for only short
      periods of time and in short bursts (like a firefly).

Sometimes (but very rarely) the best hiding spot is right out in the open where people passing by will think, “I guess you are allowed to camp there?”

Never get caught. Never.

If you do get caught, play dumb and/or if necessary, offer to leave.
      There is no need to get in trouble for stealth camping. Simply pack up
      your campsite, move on and find somewhere else to spend the night.

Be willing to change camping spots if after a short
      while you realize the campsite you picked out initially is unsafe or in a
      location where you might be discovered.

For a speedy getaway, don’t use a tent. Instead, just sleep on top of your sleeping mat (under the stars) or consider the use of a compact bivy sack.

Don’t camp in an area that could be flooded with people early the next morning. Just because the place is empty in the evening doesn’t mean it will be empty when you wake up the following day.

I will add one - do not use railroad property.

Don’t make a fire unless you absolutely have to. Smoke and light from a campfire attracts attention.

Look for animal tracks in the area and avoid camping
      in locations where moose, bear, wolves, racoons, skunks and other
      animals may frequent or use as sleeping locations

Don’t make camp on the other side of a river, estuary or canal. These sources of water may flood overnight and cause you to get stuck.

A dirt road will turn to mud overnight in a rainstorm. Be sure you have an exit strategy for the following morning.

Be quiet. Don’t draw attention to yourself by making a lot of noise.

Don’t camp in an area where you might easily be discovered by dogs. A dog on a walk with his or her owner will quickly give away your location.

Know how to set up and break down your camp quickly. Sometimes speed is your best ally.

You are your own source of rescue. If no one knows
      where you are and you get sick, hurt yourself, or otherwise get into
      trouble, you are the only one who can get you out of the situation. This
      is one of the most dangerous aspects of stealth camping.

Know what the law is. Each country treats stealth
      camping differently. It’s totally common and acceptable in some parts of
      the world, and totally illegal in other parts. Do you research before
      stealth camping to avoid being harassed, fined or thrown in jail.

The best time to find and set up a stealth campsite is just before it gets dark.
      If you set up camp too early you might be discovered by people who are
      still out for the day. If you set up too late, on the other hand, you
      could find yourself trying to pitch your tent in the dark.

Avoid pitching your tent in the dark. Not only can
      you not scout out the location of your campsite as well when it is dark,
      but any flashlights or headlamps you might use will give away your
      location.

Stealth camping is the act of secretly
      camping in a public or private area (sometimes legally – sometimes
      illegally) and moving on the next morning without being detected.

Stealth camping
      is an excellent way to not only find free places to camp, but is also a
      great way to discover excellent campground locations, get a good
      night’s rest in a quiet location and secure a night’s lodging away from
      the hustle and bustle of other people, animals and vehicles.

In this article you will find my 50 best tips for stealth camping
      anywhere in the world. At the end of the article I encourage you to
      submit your own stealth camping tips or stories in the comments section.

Camp above any nearby roads or trails. People tend
      to look down more than they look up… and climbing uphill is difficult,
      so it is less likely that others will come looking for you if you are up
      high. Plus, from up high, you can look down on others who might be
      approaching your camp.

Use a brown, green or earth-toned tent to blend in with your surroundings. Camouflage works wonders when it comes to stealth camping.

Cover your tracks. Be sure to cover up or hide any
      foot prints or bicycle tracks that might lead people to your campsite.
      Even broken branches can lead a person to your camp, so try not to
      disturb the nature surrounding your stealth campsite.

Don’t make a fire unless you absolutely have to. Smoke and light from a campfire attracts attention.

Look for animal tracks in the area and avoid camping
      in locations where moose, bear, wolves, racoons, skunks and other
      animals may frequent or use as sleeping locations.

Don’t make camp on the other side of a river, estuary or canal. These sources of water may flood overnight and cause you to get stuck.

A dirt road will turn to mud overnight in a rainstorm. Be sure you have an exit strategy for the following morning.

Be quiet. Don’t draw attention to yourself by making a lot of noise.

Don’t camp in an area where you might easily be discovered by dogs. A dog on a walk with his or her owner will quickly give away your location.

Know how to set up and break down your camp quickly. Sometimes speed is your best ally.

You are your own source of rescue. If no one knows
      where you are and you get sick, hurt yourself, or otherwise get into
      trouble, you are the only one who can get you out of the situation. This
      is one of the most dangerous aspects of stealth camping.

Know what the law is. Each country treats stealth
      camping differently. It’s totally common and acceptable in some parts of
      the world, and totally illegal in other parts. Do you research before
      stealth camping to avoid being harassed, fined or thrown in jail.

The best time to find and set up a stealth campsite is just before it gets dark.
      If you set up camp too early you might be discovered by people who are
      still out for the day. If you set up too late, on the other hand, you
      could find yourself trying to pitch your tent in the dark.

Avoid pitching your tent in the dark. Not only can
      you not scout out the location of your campsite as well when it is dark,
      but any flashlights or headlamps you might use will give away your
      location.

Break camp early. Wake up, pack your gear and hit the road before most people are even awake or outside.

Leave your campsite in the same condition it was in when you first found it.
      Pack out all trash and make it look as though you were never there.
      This benefits both you and future stealth campers who might come after
      you.

The harder it is for you to get to your campsite, the less likely it is that other people will find you. People are generally lazy and will usually give up before navigating to difficult locations.

Don’t camp on the other side of large fences or gates.
      Even thought the fence/gate is open now, it might be locked in the
      morning. You don’t want to get trapped inside a fence or gate and then
      be unable to escape. Plus, you might also be climbing into a cage of
      some kind with a bear, mountain lion or other dangerous animal (This
      happened to me once. I jumped a fence and found myself inside a cage
      with a mountain lion).

Dont camp near a highway.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • That last long post from WOO was very good. Reminded me of the half-year road camping trip I took through Europe when I was about 22. We often slept on beaches, in farmers' fields, off the side of lonesome side roads etc. Sleeping on the beaches in Spain we'd often be woken up by the Guardia Civil -- policemen wearing trenchcoats and carrying tommy guns. They'd usually leave us alone after we convinced them we were not smugglers. One night we slept in a field overlooking the ocean near Gibraltar. We woke to find ourselves in the middle of some military exercise with soldiers chasing each other around within a few dozen feet of our tent. In Morocco and later in Israel, we camped on beaches for a weeks at a time. Our stay on the beach in Morocco ended when thieves broke into our car and stole the contents of my pack.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm prepping for my first stealth experience and just had my tent altered to make it less noticeable :) . I never stray very far from the trail because I'm afraid that I'll fall or get lost. What can I do to make sure that I find my way back to the trail the next morning? Should I even be concerned about that?

Leave a trail of bread crumbs.

I don't think that worked for Hansel and Gretel.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

that's it I'm sending a PM to ....ah....somebody.......you all talking about something illegal.........just kidding :saint: , why do you think my favorite color is green :D

i think that is stoopidest thing whiteblaze ever did -- not allowing someone on a hiking site to talk about hiking because of the goverment shutdown under the guise of "no talking about something that is illegal". i was put on moderated status for answering someones question about if the forest service road to springer was gated during the shut down. by answering i was "encouraging illegal behavior". gator has done some stoopid things but this takes the cake.

That was the first active thread I was ever outright banned from and all because I commented with "I say we burn our TP in protest!" (There was another thread at the time about whether it was okay to burn TP...

The dumbest thing is that I had perviouy posted to the thread that I was actively hiking in Georgia during the shutdown, but he banned me from it so I couldnt give updates from the trail.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • We were told in Maine at that time that it was legal to walk on the trails, but not legal to drive or park on any road. I walked Huguenot in Acadia during that time. I have a picture of the sign at the trail head somewhere. It clearly stated that what I was doing was legal.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Around this time last year I was going NOBO from Pearisberg to Newport and ran into nearly 20 SOBOs since all them had been recently kicked out of (or prevented) from entering SNP. Sad for them, but was neat for me to meet so many of them.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The National forests were open, but the facilities werent, in georgia that meant that you could pull into the parking lots but the roadside toilets were locked...

...This resulted in A-hole motorists stopping to use the toilet, finding them locked, walking into the "woods" just behind the bathroom and relieving themselves in/next to the spring that was just uphill of the road. The side trail to the water source was a freshly bloomed field of TP flowers and stupidity.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

The National forests were open, but the facilities werent, in georgia that meant that you could pull into the parking lots but the roadside toilets were locked...

...This resulted in A-hole motorists stopping to use the toilet, finding them locked, walking into the "woods" just behind the bathroom and relieving themselves in/next to the spring that was just uphill of the road. The side trail to the water source was a freshly bloomed field of TP flowers and stupidity.

A funny thing happened at the croatan bathrooms during that time. Someone "locked" the doors and the deadbolt was engaged but they "locked" the door before closing the door. The forest service worker followed orders but must have missed a step in the process.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

The National forests were open, but the facilities werent, in georgia that meant that you could pull into the parking lots but the roadside toilets were locked...

If the bathrooms were locked, where did all of the TP come from?
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

That was the first active thread I was ever outright banned from and all because I commented with "I say we burn our TP in protest!" (There was another thread at the time about whether it was okay to burn TP...

The dumbest thing is that I had perviouy posted to the thread that I was actively hiking in Georgia during the shutdown, but he banned me from it so I couldnt give updates from the trail.

I got banned from the thread too - for posting a list of A-T sections in NJ/NY/CT/MA that were on land not owned by the Federal government. I pointed out in the post that one should check with the landowners whether they'd continue to respect their trail easements without the Fed's indemnification, and linked to official information that ALL trails, including the A-T, in the state parks of NJ, NY and MA were open, although A-T maintenance was suspended (because it's unlawful to volunteer for the Federal government during a shutdown). I know that NY state would have words to say to Uncle Sam if he told the state to close state parks. The words might have been, "Take a hike!"

The moderator responded by moving the thread to "Straight Forward" and banning me for being off topic in a "Straight Forward" thread. But the real reason was that he just KNEW that the entire length of the A-T was closed, and that it was illegal to hike it.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you. It's what you do know that ain't so.

One irony was that when he started arguing with me recently about photography in the national forests, I simply responded after the third round by deleting all my posts in the thread and putting it on ignore. He send me a PM asking why, and I replied that I realized belatedly that I'd strayed into the bans on political discussions and discussions of illegal activity. He PM'ed me back that non-partisan political discussions of matters directly affecting hiking are acceptable. I simply answered that I had been banned from a thread for less before. There it stands.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I got banned from the thread too - for posting a list of A-T sections in NJ/NY/CT/MA that were on land not owned by the Federal government. I pointed out in the post that one should check with the landowners whether they'd continue to respect their trail easements without the Fed's indemnification, and linked to official information that ALL trails, including the A-T, in the state parks of NJ, NY and MA were open, although A-T maintenance was suspended (because it's unlawful to volunteer for the Federal government during a shutdown). I know that NY state would have words to say to Uncle Sam if he told the state to close state parks. The words might have been, "Take a hike!"

The moderator responded by moving the thread to "Straight Forward" and banning me for being off topic in a "Straight Forward" thread. But the real reason was that he just KNEW that the entire length of the A-T was closed, and that it was illegal to hike it.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you. It's what you do know that ain't so.

One irony was that when he started arguing with me recently about photography in the national forests, I simply responded after the third round by deleting all my posts in the thread and putting it on ignore. He send me a PM asking why, and I replied that I realized belatedly that I'd strayed into the bans on political discussions and discussions of illegal activity. He PM'ed me back that non-partisan political discussions of matters directly affecting hiking are acceptable. I simply answered that I had been banned from a thread for less before. There it stands.

crap I thought I was the only one causing trouble but what does this have to do with stealth camping?

I got banned on the Sequester thread when I said its all show and tell, I am posting this from the middle of Valley Forge Park and I was hiking the trails. Ya just couldn't park there. Nobody paid any attention to the signs except the media at the front gate.
    • Question Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

Answer
      While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically
      necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers
      them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on
      our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by
      individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and
      local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure
      accommodations before parking your RV.
    • When one is driving an RV from point-to-point, where is the best
      place to crash for the night? KOA? No, too pricey. A truck stop? Too
      noisy. Wal-Mart? This is a last resort. We have found a new option for a
      place to park when we just need a spot to stop overnight: Cabela’s!
      For those of you who have never heard of or been to a Cabela’s, let
      me describe it to you: It is like a Home Depot for people who kill
      things.

They are a big box retailer, just like Wal-Mart or Lowes, but they
      cater to the hook and bullet crowd. The store is well-lit, organized,
      staffed by professionals, and decorated with a lodge-theme and dozens of
      stuffed trophy animals. Everything they sell fits neatly into several
      categories:

1) Tools, implements, weapons and ammunition used to kill animals,

2) Tools and implements used to gut, clean, cook and eat said animals,

3) Clothing and footwear worn while killing said animals,

4) Camping gear, used while sleeping out prior to killing said animals

5) Gear used to hide from animals, just before you kill them,

6) Roasted nuts and jerky.

7) Some have a built in Diner on limited hours.

8) Freeze Dried meals in the Camping section @$7-9 dollars

That’s it, that is all they sell. We browsed the shotgun aisle as
      well as the hunting rifle aisle and compound bow section. We noticed a
      test area for bows, and there is a two-acre pond to the side of the
      store for testing boats and fishing rods. You know you are in a
      different place when you read the warning sign at the front entrance,
      asking you to check your weapons. Best overnight I had in a long time...
    • gonna have to disagree with you on this one, woo.

just to get it out of the way, my preference is a state park. it's rare to find one close enough to the interstate when traveling to make it worthwhile to go to, though.

among your list, i prefer truckstops. all that activity equals safety in my opinion.

i like walmarts also. many of them are open 24 hours so you have access to bathrooms and food all night.

i don't sleep at interstate rest areas unless i have no choice. i think thats the most dangerous place you can choose to sleep.

cabelas? too rare to count on. on the 1,800 mile drive to my parents house in tucson there is exactly one store en route.

they did just open a store last month maybe 10 miles from my house. i'm looking forward to checking it out. but not for sleeping. :)
      2,000 miler
    • I forget the name of it, but there is RV website where people post and let other RVers camp in their driveway for a night or two for free or a small fee. The site lists the amenities offered at each home- ie water hook up, electric, grill use etc. If I can find it I'll post it.

Here it is boondockers welcome: boondockerswelcome.com/
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I got banned from the thread too - for posting a list of A-T sections in NJ/NY/CT/MA that were on land not owned by the Federal government.

crap I thought I was the only one causing trouble but what does this have to do with stealth camping?

He's been convinced that's illegal too, which is where the blue blaze started from there to here.

When I discuss stealth on TOS, I'm careful to point out that I most often hike in a forest where the rules are, "a quarter-mile or more from a road, 150+ feet from a trail or water source, below 3500 feet elevation," and that I am talking about the technique for stealth camping, not advocating doing it at unlawful sites. The goal is to have minimum impact on the environment, not to avoid waking up to a 12-gauge load of rock salt because you didn't hide yourself well enough when you made camp in some farmer's wood lot. If I don't make that clear, every blessed time, I hear the snapping of reptilian teeth at my heels.

Since I dislike shelters for the most part, I do a lot of "stealth" camping by the definition of "distributed camping away from established sites." Virtually always, when I do it, it's perfectly lawful.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I understand both sides of this issue. HB says if you tear down the shelters it will keep away a lot of wanna-be hikers. Staying in shelters eased my way into hiking and I might never have tried it without them...who knows? In the past year, I've realized that I don't like being around a lot of people when I'm out in the woods. I want more people to get out and hike but I don't want them out there when I'm hiking...I'm a hypocrite. I will likely never thru-hike the AT, the crowds would get old real fast.

"Crowded trail" is a stereotype that doesn't do justice to the truth. Yes, the beauty spots are often crowded. These include the Smokies, Shenandoah National Park, and the high ridges of the White Mountains. You'll also have plenty of company for the first month or so if you're a thru-hiker starting NOBO from Springer any time in March or early April.

But I've had lots of 100% solitary days on the AT, away from these areas, particularly off-season. I had most shelters to myself on a long southbound hike through the mid-Atlantic AT, in August and September. I would have enjoyed some company, frankly! I've had the trail to myself in sections throughout New England -- eg., between Hanover and Glencliff, between Caratunk and Monson, in MA between North Adams and Dalton, in NY/NJ from Fingerboard Shelter all the way to Vernon NJ.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy solitude at times, and good company as well, particularly at camp. Night after night alone at camp gets old pretty fast.