Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stelth Shelters Explained

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

gonna have to disagree with you on this one, woo.

just to get it out of the way, my preference is a state park. it's rare to find one close enough to the interstate when traveling to make it worthwhile to go to, though.

among your list, i prefer truckstops. all that activity equals safety in my opinion.

i like walmarts also. many of them are open 24 hours so you have access to bathrooms and food all night.

i don't sleep at interstate rest areas unless i have no choice. i think thats the most dangerous place you can choose to sleep.

cabelas? too rare to count on. on the 1,800 mile drive to my parents house in tucson there is exactly one store en route.

they did just open a store last month maybe 10 miles from my house. i'm looking forward to checking it out. but not for sleeping. :)

MP I don't think we disagree on anything.... continue to add to the thread!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

That was the first active thread I was ever outright banned from and all because I commented with "I say we burn our TP in protest!" (There was another thread at the time about whether it was okay to burn TP...

The dumbest thing is that I had perviouy posted to the thread that I was actively hiking in Georgia during the shutdown, but he banned me from it so I couldnt give updates from the trail.

I got banned from the thread too - for posting a list of A-T sections in NJ/NY/CT/MA that were on land not owned by the Federal government. I pointed out in the post that one should check with the landowners whether they'd continue to respect their trail easements without the Fed's indemnification, and linked to official information that ALL trails, including the A-T, in the state parks of NJ, NY and MA were open, although A-T maintenance was suspended (because it's unlawful to volunteer for the Federal government during a shutdown). I know that NY state would have words to say to Uncle Sam if he told the state to close state parks. The words might have been, "Take a hike!"

The moderator responded by moving the thread to "Straight Forward" and banning me for being off topic in a "Straight Forward" thread. But the real reason was that he just KNEW that the entire length of the A-T was closed, and that it was illegal to hike it.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you. It's what you do know that ain't so.

One irony was that when he started arguing with me recently about photography in the national forests, I simply responded after the third round by deleting all my posts in the thread and putting it on ignore. He send me a PM asking why, and I replied that I realized belatedly that I'd strayed into the bans on political discussions and discussions of illegal activity. He PM'ed me back that non-partisan political discussions of matters directly affecting hiking are acceptable. I simply answered that I had been banned from a thread for less before. There it stands.

I had wondered why you were deleting your responses. You were the most effective one of those of us opposed to the regulations.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I had wondered why you were deleting your responses. You were the most effective one of those of us opposed to the regulations.

The ACLU piece on the photography regulations might interest you, then. I'm not posting it to TOS.

Do you mind if I do?

Why should I mind? It's the ACLU's piece, not mine, and I've got the thread on ignore, anyway.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • We have been kicked off - no pain just mind away.... I had to log off to see the thread...

OK this is the stealth thread... as I view many precision videos... some of them are clearly missing. I keep coming back to this Imma's so personal videos. There are many and most are graphic in their content as they are clearly the result of current conditions of feel good polotics & motives, and poverty. Don't doubt me on this.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: