Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmta newsletter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BMTA MEMBERS AND GUESTS UNITE:
      Just a reminder that the Annual BMTA Walk Thru is coming up on July 11, so please help us out with a commitment to walk and evaluate a section of trail. Whether you are able to walk 1 mile or 10, we need you. And if you would like to help out, but just aren’t able to spend a day in the woods, please consider helping our hikers with shuttle service.
      For those new to the walk thru, in Georgia, we gather at the Village Restaurant in Blue Ridge for a bite to eat and a little socializing prior to the walk. If convenient for your hike, plan to meet between 7:30 and 8:30 at the Village Restaurant. We’ll eat a hearty breakfast, get re-acquainted and head out for the walks before it gets too hot. We should have a few shuttle drivers who can drop people off and help position cars for the walks. In Tennessee and North Carolina, there will not be a pre hike meeting because the sections are more remote, but the need is the same. For the adventurous, we encourage you to try a new section of trail and help with the Tennessee/North Carolina evaluations! (Remember to bring your maps and trail guides).
      We ask that you hike in pairs, both for safety and to help with note taking. If you need a hiking partner, please let us know and we’ll try and help line something up.
      Go to bmta.org/AnnualWalk-Thru.php to see which sections are currently open. From there, follow the link for the evaluation forms, fill them out during the walk, and return forms via email to walk-thru@bmta.org or US mail to PO Box 6, Cherry Log, GA 30522 within one week of completing the walk thru.
      At the end of the day, we like to gather our Georgia groups once more at the Pink Pig in Cherry Log. Join us around3:00 -- give or take an hour. And plan on staying until everyone has had some cobbler. (This year, we’re buying Darcy’s cobbler, sort of a house warming gift!) For those hiking sections in TN/NC, plan on joining Rick and Brenda Harris at the Tellicafe in Tellico Plains at 5PM. These end of the day gatherings certainly aren’t required, but they sure go a long way toward easing sore feet and sharing some mighty good stories of our trail and the people who care for it.
      Thank you for helping gather this important information on trail conditions.
      Questions? For Georgia sections, contact Barry Allen at 770-294-7384; for North Carolina and Tennessee, contact Rick Harris at 423-253-6358. Either can be reached via email to walk-thru@bmta.org. Please direct questions by name.
      Thanks to all!!
      its all good
    • Looking for able bodied, energetic folks with a love for the outdoors and the BMT in the TN/NC area. We are in need to additional maintainers for our work trips and also have a handful of sections open for section maintainers. For a description of what is involved in being a maintainer, go to our BMTA website and click on the Maintainer page. If interested in being a section maintainer, click on the "Guidelines for Section Maintainers" link on the Maintainer page. If you are interested and want further information, please contact Rick Harris at HarrisRi@aol.com or 513-260-1184 C/423-253-6358 H.
      its all good
    • Monthly BMTA TN/NC Work Trip - Saturday, August 22 - BMT from Kimsey Hwy to Hiwassee River - Meet at the TN state public canoe launch area at Reliance at 9 AM (just before the railroad trestle opposite Hiwassee Outfitters). From there we will break into three groups to cover the three sections of the BMT, hopefully with a sawyer for each group as well as brush cutters. The walkthrough on this section showed most of the work is needed on the section between McFarland Rd and Lost Creek Campground, but this may change with a planned interim work trip. Contact Rick Harris at HarrisRi@aol.com or 513-260-1184/423-253-6358 to sign up. Wear long pants, boots, and bring plenty of water and lunch. If you have a gas powered brush cutter, please bring this as well with extra gas. We will have maintainer stickers for your car to give to those who show up on this trip. Below is what they look like.
      [IMG:https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/p261x260/11223965_10153228116668052_288299169163418746_n.jpg?oh=a5766f1087cf5e90430e9bc2b37adeae&oe=563A909C]
      its all good
    • Would you be interested in serving on the Benton MacKaye Trail Association (BMTA) Board of Directors and in learning about and playing a significant role in relations between the BMTA and the U.S. Forest Service? If so, read on.

The BMTA Nominations Committee for 2016 is looking for BMTA members who might be interested serving in the position of Conservation Director on the Board. That position is mostly about monitoring Forest Service proposals/actions that relate to the trail, and assisting the association president and other officers in responding to such proposal/actions.

Here is description of the Conservation position as it appears in the Association bylaws:

"The Conservation Director shall monitor conservation issues, including, but not limited to Forest Service and National Park Service special use permits, scoping notices and similar publications that have bearing on the Benton MacKaye Trail, shall report such issues to the Board, shall inform the membership of such issues, and shall assist the Board in forming policy responses to these issues."

If you think this position might fit your talents and interests and would like additional information please contact Tom Keene, Chair, 2016 BMTA Nominations Committee by email at tkbmta AT gmail DOT com.
      its all good
    • Here is a great opportunity for you trail builders, but it represents a major commitment of time and physical effort. The Tellico Ranger District of the Cherokee National Forest is offering three 5 day courses which will be free as follows. There are only 2-3 slots open to BMTA members for each course. They are as follows:
      Sept 28-Oct 2 (Mon-Fri) -Fred Langley will teach grip hoist and rigging. She is a true expert at this and taught a similar course at the Wilderness Skills Institute two years ago.
      Oct 5-9 (Mon-Fri) - The Jolly Rovers will teach a 5 day class in building stone cribbing and stone steps. They also are true experts and taught two years in a row at the Wilderness Skills Institute
      Oct 12-16 (Mon-Fri) - Repeat of the Jolly Rovers course.
      Free camping will be available at Indian Boundary in the overflow area. Or you can stay at my house. This is not a first come, first serve situation. Once I know who is interested, I will chose who can attend. We will be building steps and cribbing on the big switchback on the Bald River Trail about a mile in from the falls parking lot. You must be a paid up active member of the BMTA and must commit to give back to the BMTA by helping out on future work trips, especially trips which require these skills.
      If interested, contact Rick Harris at 423-253-6358 or 513-260-1184 or email me at HarrisRi@aol.com.
      its all good
    • Okay, it mentions ham radio licenses. The $15 is for a written test, there are guidebooks for the test. This would be for the Technician license. 2 meters and 70cm bands on the Baefong they mention would work, but there aren't repeaters along all of th trail.

Well, the newsletter did say more info later on. The test requires study, its not just electronics/electricity.

The email I received a few weeks ago mentioned APRS for most of the AT. I don't know if there are 2 meter repeaters available fomr the BMT or not.

2 meters is limited range. I can pick up the Mt Cheaha repeaters from over 20 miles away. I think the maximum is under 50 miles. Atmospherics can have a limit or expansion of that.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Okay, it mentions ham radio licenses. The $15 is for a written test, there are guidebooks for the test. This would be for the Technician license. 2 meters and 70cm bands on the Baefong they mention would work, but there aren't repeaters along all of th trail.

Well, the newsletter did say more info later on. The test requires study, its not just electronics/electricity.

The email I received a few weeks ago mentioned APRS for most of the AT. I don't know if there are 2 meter repeaters available fomr the BMT or not.

2 meters is limited range. I can pick up the Mt Cheaha repeaters from over 20 miles away. I think the maximum is under 50 miles. Atmospherics can have a limit or expansion of that.
      From the little I've seen of the BMT (pix and video) someone might have any interesting time hitting anything on 2 or 70 unless they find a really high point. Also, they should've mentioned in that article that if someone gets a Baofeng radio, the associated costs don't stop with that radio and a license. The stock antenna will barely let them reach across the street (the stock antenna just plain sucks) and that they will need an aftermarket upgrade if they want to actually reach out with the thing. Something like the Nagoya-771 makes a world of difference. They might (probably will) also want to upgrade to an aftermarket battery (something like a 3800mah battery) to make sure they've got some juice left to power the radio after/when they actually do hit a repeater.

Something else about the newsletter... Really cool that they started sort of a light first-aid section (from a professional) in this edition. I haven't read other editions (yet) but just glancing over this edition made it seem like this newsletter might make for some good Sunday reading even if I never see the BMT (though I am hoping to someday.)

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • g00gle wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Okay, it mentions ham radio licenses. The $15 is for a written test, there are guidebooks for the test. This would be for the Technician license. 2 meters and 70cm bands on the Baefong they mention would work, but there aren't repeaters along all of th trail.

From the little I've seen of the BMT (pix and video) someone might have any interesting time hitting anything on 2 or 70 unless they find a really high point. Also, they should've mentioned in that article that if someone gets a Baofeng radio, the associated costs don't stop with that radio and a license. The stock antenna will barely let them reach across the street (the stock antenna just plain sucks) and that they will need an aftermarket upgrade if they want to actually reach out with the thing. Something like the Nagoya-771 makes a world of difference. They might (probably will) also want to upgrade to an aftermarket battery (something like a 3800mah battery) to make sure they've got some juice left to power the radio after/when they actually do hit a repeater.
      Something else about the newsletter... Really cool that they started sort of a light first-aid section (from a professional) in this edition. I haven't read other editions (yet) but just glancing over this edition made it seem like this newsletter might make for some good Sunday reading even if I never see the BMT (though I am hoping to someday.)
      bmta.org/Membership.php
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I have a Baofund 5 and a Yaesu FT60R. The Baofung battery simply doesn't hold a charge.

Battery charger is necessary to, and spare batteries.

I would thnik HF would be better, but they have their criteria.
      you might want to start a ham radio thread hint hint
      Where should I start it ?
      Electronics
      Done, well, started.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.