Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

lightning

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've heard that some people are more prone to getting stuck than others and I'm a firm believer in that.
      1) in the late 80's I was a firefighter near Pittsburgh. During a bad storm we were dispatched to a fully engulfed barn fire. I was operating the pump when a bolt of lightning struck a nearby tree. My battilion chief and I awoke moments later under the engine, more less hugging one another while asking if we were ok.
      2) In the Mid 90's I was in my garage building a bookshelf. I was using a palm sander when lightning hit the power pole in front of the house. I was launched backwards and landed on my ass.
      3) Late 90's i was working as a cop in metro atlanta. I was sitting in my patrol car under a street light in a parking lot waiting out a storm. A bolt of lightning hit the pole then my car. The car engine and radios shorted out. I had to get the car towed....
      So in other words stay the hell away from me during a storm.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

I've heard that some people are more prone to getting stuck than others and I'm a firm believer in that.
      1) in the late 80's I was a firefighter near Pittsburgh. During a bad storm we were dispatched to a fully engulfed barn fire. I was operating the pump when a bolt of lightning struck a nearby tree. My battilion chief and I awoke moments later under the engine, more less hugging one another while asking if we were ok.
      2) In the Mid 90's I was in my garage building a bookshelf. I was using a palm sander when lightning hit the power pole in front of the house. I was launched backwards and landed on my ass.
      3) Late 90's i was working as a cop in metro atlanta. I was sitting in my patrol car under a street light in a parking lot waiting out a storm. A bolt of lightning hit the pole then my car. The car engine and radios shorted out. I had to get the car towed....

Yer kinda like magnetized now.
      I got struck once on a golf course with the club straight up in the air. But I ain't magnetized.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Trebor wrote:

I've heard that some people are more prone to getting stuck than others and I'm a firm believer in that.

Can we use you as a charging station.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • milkman wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Yer kinda like magnetized now.
      I got struck once on a golf course with the club straight up in the air. But I ain't magnetized.
      Images
      • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411700183.607903.jpg

169.8 kB, 960×720, viewed 365 times
      RIAP
    • Below is a photo of Ranger Roy Sullivan, one of the most storied rangers in the modern National Park Service.
      He holds the Guinness World Record for most survived lightning strikes on an individual (7) and his hat is on display at the Guinness World
      Exhibit Halls in New York City.

World Ranger Day commemorates rangers killed or injured in the line of duty, and celebrates the work rangers do to protect the world’s natural and cultural treasures.

World Ranger Day is observed annually on the 31st of July, and is promoted by the 63 member associations of the International Ranger
      Federation, by their partner the Thin Green Line Foundation, and by individuals who support the work of Rangers and the IRF.

[IMG:https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11059984_10152916709881367_5378472611678580491_n.jpg?oh=17f60b8f8f603dc41d12dfb2eb179930&oe=563AC250]
      its all good
    • A few years ago my wife and I were hiking in grayson highlands. We took the AT spur trail. When we reached the top a fast moving thunderstorm rolled through. We hunkered down till it was over. We it was done we headed up the trail. A few minutes later we ran into a family headed our way. The hunkered down in the trees. A bolt of lightning hit one of those trees and threw wood chucks into one of the teenagers. He was injured but not life threatening so we hiked on while they headed back to their car.

Astro wrote:

Has any here been struck by lightning on the AT?
      I know Jennifer Phar Davis was on her first hike. My student who hike the in 100 days this summer had an encounter with lightning also.
    • Never been struck. Two very close encounters.
      One was playing golf here. Called the game off (after putting out).
      The second was Sinking Creek Ridge (something like that) on the AT in Virginia. Scary.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • not on the AT but I took a partial hit in my 20s while swimming in the New River at McCoy Falls near Virginia Tech. It struck the water maybe 150 feet away sent electricity into me. Felt like I had put my finger on a lawn mower sparkplug while it was running. I almost walked on water getting out of the river.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

not on the AT but I took a partial hit in my 20s while swimming in the New River at McCoy Falls near Virginia Tech. It struck the water maybe 150 feet away sent electricity into me. Felt like I had put my finger on a lawn mower sparkplug while it was running. I almost walked on water getting out of the river.
      lawn mower spark plug mishaps always felt to me like getting bit by a dog complete with head shakin'
    • socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

not on the AT but I took a partial hit in my 20s while swimming in the New River at McCoy Falls near Virginia Tech. It struck the water maybe 150 feet away sent electricity into me. Felt like I had put my finger on a lawn mower sparkplug while it was running. I almost walked on water getting out of the river.
      lawn mower spark plug mishaps always felt to me like getting bit by a dog complete with head shakin'
      Like Elvis said: "There was a whole lot of shakin' going on." lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • hikerboy wrote:

Below is a photo of Ranger Roy Sullivan, one of the most storied rangers in the modern National Park Service.
      He holds the Guinness World Record for most survived lightning strikes on an individual (7) and his hat is on display at the Guinness World
      Exhibit Halls in New York City.

World Ranger Day commemorates rangers killed or injured in the line of duty, and celebrates the work rangers do to protect the world’s natural and cultural treasures.

World Ranger Day is observed annually on the 31st of July, and is promoted by the 63 member associations of the International Ranger
      Federation, by their partner the Thin Green Line Foundation, and by individuals who support the work of Rangers and the IRF.

[IMG:https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11059984_10152916709881367_5378472611678580491_n.jpg?oh=17f60b8f8f603dc41d12dfb2eb179930&oe=563AC250]

I saw him years ago when Johny Carson had the Tonight Show.

Johnny asked him how the other park rangers reacted to him being hit so many times by lightning ?

He replied that no one will ride in a truck with him, figuring they would get hit to.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.