Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Reward for missing hiker increased

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Reward for missing hiker increased

Reward for missing Appalachian Trail hiker raised to $25,000

By Rick Levasseur, BDN Staff
      Posted Sept. 24, 2014, at 6:15 p.m.
      Last modified Sept. 24, 2014, at 6:45 p.m.

REDINGTON TOWNSHIP, Maine — More than a year after a woman disappeared while hiking the Appalachian Trail in Maine, her family has increased the reward from $15,000 to $25,000 for information that would lead to finding her.

Geraldine “Gerry” Largay of Brentwood, Tennessee, 66, was last seen July 22, 2013, at Poplar Lean-to after spending the night with other hikers, according to the Maine Warden Service. Largay, who goes by the trail name “Inchworm,” was planning on hiking that day to Spaulding Lean-to in Mount Abram Township, about eight miles to the north, but she never arrived there.

Largay was reported missing after she failed to meet up with her husband on July 23 where the trail crosses Route 27 in Wyman Township, which is located between the towns of Carrabasset and Stratton.

Several searches involving game wardens, state police, U.S. Border Patrol officers, volunteers from the Maine Association of Search and Rescue and others have occurred since, including as recently as Sept. 14.

No clues to her whereabouts have yet been found, according to the warden service in a Wednesday press release that announced the increased reward.

Anyone who has any information that can lead to the location of Largay or has information about other hikers or persons in the area of Poplar Lean-to or the Oberton Stream area on the Appalachian Trail last year on July 22, 2013, is asked to call Maine Warden Service at (207) 624-7076.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

The post was edited 1 time, last by milkman ().

• That is a date I will never forget. That was my 52nd birthday. I had the perfect day at Pierce Pond that day. I have had a hard time not wondering what she went through that day. I think they could raise that to $25,000,000 and not get any answers at this point. :(

I dont see how she could have planned to be at 27 on the 23rd. There is no way she was going from Spaulding to rt 27 on the 23rd. That distance is too great and tough. We met the formation of the 1st search party on the 25th.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().