Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Long Trail 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'd start by suggesting a read of Jan Leitschuh's LT journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer." It's available on Amazon, etc. Jan was a newb to hiking when she and her partner Clyde did this hike in 2002. She and Clyde both finished, and she went on to thru-hike the AT the following year. Jan was a frequent poster over on Whiteblaze for a while. I met her at the Gathering in 2007. In fact, I'm pretty sure she and I crossed paths on her LT hike, a mile or two north of Little Rock Pond.

I did the AT portion of the LT in 2002, and over the last three summers have finished most of the remainder, heading north from "Maine Junction." The LT tends to fluctuate between sheer boredom and sheer terror. Most of the summits are wooded, and views tend to be scarce. Here and there are some WTF moments where you're thinking, this can't be right, they didn't really mean for me to go this way... but yeah, they really did. North of "Maine Junction," the LT makes the AT look quite civilized.

There are fire towers on Glastonbury Mtn. and on Stratton Mtn., but aside from those towers, no views from either summit. Little Rock Pond is a nice place for a swim if the weather's right. The Inn at the Long Trail is just off the trail, and well worth a stop, or an overnight. Matter of fact you can take the old AT (aka Sherburne Trail) right to the Inn, and catch a short blue-blaze right back to "Maine Junction." The two days north from the Inn were deadly boring, in my opinion. But then you get fine views over the Sugarbush range (aka Mt. Abraham) and on Camel's Hump.

I have journals and photos from all my LT hikes, I can post them if anyone's interested. Here's a link to photos from my 2002 hike, over on AT-L.

gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002
    • rafe wrote:

The Inn at the Long Trail is just off the trail, and well worth a stop, or an overnight. Matter of fact you can take the old AT (aka Sherburne Trail) right to the Inn, and catch a short blue-blaze right back to "Maine Junction."

or alternatively, for those who want to walk the entire trail, stay on the AT until it meets up again with the blue blaze N of the inn and then hike S on the blue blaze. its only 1/2 mile to the inn. its worth the visit; either for an hour or a nite.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

or alternatively, for those who want to walk the entire trail, stay on the AT until it meets up again with the blue blaze N of the inn and then hike S on the blue blaze. its only 1/2 mile to the inn. its worth the visit; either for an hour or a nite.

Just being mischievous. I took Sherburne trail leaving the Inn, I think it had just been "demoted" to a blue-blaze but I didn't care. No regrets! In any case, the Inn is easy to get to, and you'd have to be seriously stoic to pass it up.
    • Thank you for the input so far. I am listening to you guys. I am considering pushing my trip off to a little later in the season. I cannot go in October, but I will try to wait as long as I can to avoid the mud and bugs. I will be staying at the Inn at the Long Trail. I am also breaking to northern 170 miles into 3 sections instead of my initial 2 planned. This brings me to a couple questions.

1) Has anyone explored/stayed in Waitsfield while hiking the Long Trail? Access is from Appalachian Gap at Rt 17.This would be a stop after 5 days of walking from the Maine Junction. I am considering staying at the Hyde Away Inn as it allows for transportation and a mail drop.

2) Has anyone explored/stayed in Johnson while hiking the Long Trail? Access is from West Settlement Road near Rt 15. This would be a stop after 6 days of walking from Appalachian Gap. From this resupply, I would have 5 days remaining to Journey's End Road. I was going to stay at Awesome View Hiker Hostel, but it has closed. Instead, I am considering going in to town just to get a mail drop and moving on to Roundtop Shelter.

Any thoughts?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • I stopped in Johnson for a mini resupply when going throuth there. It was an in & out. Shopped & washed & back on the trail. Very friendly town! Stuck our thumbs out to hich in and first car locked up his brakes to stop. Just as quick on hich back to trail. May wan to check out these places for lodging along the trail Hostel Tevere $30-35203 Powderhouse RdWarren, VT 05674802 496-3533 hosteltevere.com Nyes Green Valley Farm $75 802-644-19848976 Rt 15 West Jeffersonville, VT 05464 nyesgreenvalleyfarm.com/
    • Thank you MM. I am leaning heavily toward a quick resupply in Johnson. The shelters are kinda' oddly spaced from there to Canada. If I stay in Johnson, it would make my 5 day plan to the end a bit more difficult to space. As it is, I will have some odd distances. I like to keep them as uniform as possible while being mindful of elevation changes. Hopefully I can get from Whiteface to Rt 15 (7.9 miles), hitch to Post Office (3 miles), hitch back, and then up to Roundtop (2.6 miles) all in one day. The 10.5 miles would be very doable if I can get a hitch quickly. If I can't hitch, it would make for a 16.5 mile day. It can be done, but it would be easier with a ride. I do not have much luck getting rides. I must look pretty scary.
    • I have a dilemma facing me in coming up with a plan for the final 50 miles or so of my Long Trail hike. I have a good plan that takes into account for elevation changes and distances between shelters/camps/tenting areas up to Vt 15. After Vt 15 the opportunities of sleeping locations are at weird distances from each other. The guides say not to stealth because it is private property much of the way. I want to do the remaining 50 miles in no more than 5 days. Here are the distances.

Vt 15 - Roundtop Shelter 2.9 miles
      Roundtop Shelter - Corlis Camp 8.1 miles
      Corlis Camp - Spruce Ledge Camp 6.8 miles
      Spruce Ledge Camp - Tillotson Camp 8.6 miles
      Tillotson Camp - Hazen's Notch Camp 6.2 miles
      Hazen's Notch Camp - Jay Camp 5.7 miles
      Jay Camp - Laura Woodward Shelter 3.1 miles
      Laura Woodward Shelter - Shooting Star Shelter 4.3 miles
      Shooting Star Shelter - Journey's End Shelter 4.9 miles
      Journeys End Shelter - Journeys End Road 0.7 miles

I have worked these distances to death. I end up with a bunch of combinations of 8's and 15's for distances to make 5 days. The only distance that I am certain of is the last day (Laura Woodward Shelter - Journey's End Road 9.9 miles. Before that it is a jumble. If I could stealth, it would not be an issue. Does anyone have any experience in that area? Can you stealth in that area? How strict are they about camping at designated spots in that area?
    • i can not give your any advice that is worth anything.

however...why not go to trailjournals and check out what last years long trail hikers did on that section? i took a look at one hiker (sobo) while i waiting on lunch to cook and this is what they did: 8-8-6-8-7-11. (laura-hazen-tillotson-spruce-corliss-nye b&b).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

this is what they did: 8-8-6-8-7-11. (laura-hazen-tillotson-spruce-corliss-nye b&b).

Those numbers are not entirely accurate, but show my issue. In order to make it 5 days there has to be an oddball. 8+6 or 6+8 or 8+7. 99.9999% of the planet would just add the extra day. Not me. I need to find a couple of stealth spots and make it 5. It is not easy being me, but there are very few disruptive surprises on the trail (if any) if you are me.

Now I am off to follow your advice. :thumbup: Trail Journals here I come.
    • max.patch wrote:

i can not give your any advice that is worth anything.

however...why not go to trailjournals and check out what last years long trail hikers did on that section? i took a look at one hiker (sobo) while i waiting on lunch to cook and this is what they did: 8-8-6-8-7-11. (laura-hazen-tillotson-spruce-corliss-nye b&b).

Pretty much what I did on my sobo but went on to roundtop. I did it in fall where the downed leaves made for careful foot placement. My hiking companion had just done most of the CO Trail before she bailed to join me, so I know the low milage was due to the trail. Up north many of the Shelters are mor like cabins.
    • The issue with stealth camping on the LT is very similar to what you face in the White Mountains. The nature of the woods adjacent to the trail may or may not be conducive to camping. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. They say you're not supposed to do it on the northern part of the LT -- what with lots of the trail being situated on private land -- but for me that's not super persuasive. That is: if I've been walking for hours without seeing another hiker, what are the odds that I'm going to be observed camping? In any case, I'm not going to be making a fire or leaving a trace.
    • In an effort to be prepared for my walk ( sorry, I can't help myself), I have read all kinds of horror stories bout Mansfield. I am seeing stuff about hopping over chasms near a cliff and stepping down to footholds you can't see near a cliff. Is it really that bad? Have I faced Mansfield type obstacles? If so, where? What can I compare it to?
    • There are a couple of What-The-F moments on Mansfield. Just below the summit ridge, and at both ends. Every (sobo) thru-hiker I met on my way north mentioned Mansfield in a sort of WTF tone of voice. There was another such moment on the way down Camel's Hump. And a short section called Devil's Gulch that's kind of a micro-Mahoosuc Notch.

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to photograph some of these spots, but frankly it took 100% concentration just to get through them. And quite often, photos simply don't do it justice.

I've mentioned this before -- read Jan Leitschuh's LT journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer." She describes these same two spots on Mansfield.

You can peruse Google images for images of Mansfield hiking. You'll see the ladders but I have yet to see a good photo of either of these WTF spots.

• That photo isn't even one of the WTF spots. You hit that little chute about 5 minutes after descending from the north end of the ridge. No biggie.

FWIW, I left Butler Lodge at dawn, heading north and up the forehead. From Butler it's only another few hundred feet of vertical, but it's a very intense few hundred feet. I was early enough so that I had the entire summit ridge to myself. The first hikers I met that morning were right at that chute in the photo, just as I was starting to head back down on the north side.
    • I am feeling better by what I am reading and seeing here. What I read elsewhere made it sound like a suicide mission. I don't mind tough and steep. I don't want to do stupid though. It can't be horrible if crowds do it. If it was like I read, people would be falling off it every day if crowds went over it.