Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Checking Account Hacked

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Checking Account Hacked

this isn't supposed to happen to me. this is supposed to happen to the other guy.

my checking account was hacked. old school style. someone drove by and stole my outgoing mail from the mailbox. i had paid a bill with a check which gave them my bank account info; they created checks on a laser printer and put my bank account info on the bottom of the checks.

i pay almost everything online. this was a non-regular bill that i hadn't gotten around to setting up yet. i'm aware of the danger of putting financial info in a mailbox, so i never put mail in the box until about an hour or so that i expect the mail to be picked up.

so now i'm dealing with the aftermath of this situation. the checking account is closed, so i have no access to my cash until i get a new account number and new debit card. i can live on credit until then; if i really need paper money i can go to another bank (no debit card!) and make a withdrawal. i had to get documents notarized yesterday and then scan and email them off today. i learned that check fraud is different than credit card fraud - i do not get my cash back until schwab recovers the funds from the other bank. had i been a poor college student or just starting out this would have been a horrible situation to be in. luckily, its just a temporary inconvenience as i jump thru the hoops to get this resolved.

be careful out there...
      2,000 miler
    • That does suck. Glad you were able to find out before something major happened.

last year when we went to do our taxes we found out there was a hold on it. Our daughter had passed away and someone used her on their taxes. It took us a long time but finally received our refund after the fraud was investigated . I just wish they would tell us who did the fraud and used our angel daughter on their taxes.
    • I had a similar experience a few years ago while on a work trip. All of a sudden I didn't have access to my checking account due to fraud and I only have a very small credit card which I never use. Thank god everything was already paid for with regard to the trip.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • That does suck. We have had that problem around here too, so if I am sending a check I usually drop it in PO mail box. My wife and I both have recently been dealing with credit card fraud. No problem from VISA they have immediately credited everything back but it is a series of shell companies trying to charge our cards each month a small amount like 39.95 thinking we won't notice. Check your accounts closely and often my friends. I would like to personally get my hands on the neck of whoever is behind it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

That does suck. Glad you were able to find out before something major happened.

last year when we went to do our taxes we found out there was a hold on it. Our daughter had passed away and someone used her on their taxes. It took us a long time but finally received our refund after the fraud was investigated . I just wish they would tell us who did the fraud and used our angel daughter on their taxes.

I am having a hard time processing what I have just read. They would have to put me in a padded room for quite some time if I lost my daughter. Your loss is much greater than all our checking accounts combined. There are no words..... :(
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Its crazy and happens more often than you would think, specifically credit card fraud. Key is have crappy credit and they won't be trying to open cards in your name!
      (Im joking of course!)

The key is to have credit so bad the Russian hackers deposit a few bucks in your account.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • While it is a major pain to deal with and I all for heavily prosecuting those who do it, I will say on the upside the Credit Card companies have gotten a lot more efficient at handling it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• A coupe of years ago we got an e-mail alert that out credit card had been used for several thousand dollars at a Home Depot in the Bronx. I immediately called the card's customer service and they put a stop on everything until they investigated it. In the end we didn't have to pay and were sent new cards. Was it a coincidence that Kathy had used the card the day before in the local Home Depot? I don't think so, but there was nothing I could do. We now set our credit cards so we get am e-mail alert for all uses. We've never carried a balance on our cards and I don't plan to start now on someone else's expense.
    • sorry this happened. We had our MC bank call me one day....I was working and missed the card....they TEXT...then were email...and Calling! WOW....ANyway "hello, this is Mac at Bank...did you just use your card at a XYZ store in Armpit Iowa?" "HELL NO!" "thank you. We just denied the charge...I'm sorry, your card number is compromised............Sorry...I just canceled it....Is your home address where I should over-night your new cards to?" I was amazed at their efficency
      Another time, some check showed up on our credit union. That check was a copy from like 15 years ago! The Credit union had changed names, addressed, etc. The ONLY thing correct on that check was the bank numbers.....and the amount out of our account. They reversed it, but also a hassle to change everything....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Damn thieves! It happened to me yesterday morning. I bought someone a Domino's Pizza in Vancouver. Then they decided to go to an electronics store but the charge was denied. My bank was on it right away thank goodness.

if i was going to go to the trouble of stealing someones credit card i'd have my sights set a bit higher than a pizza from dominos. :)

i'm guessing the bank caught it early as the card being used in another country was deemed as being outside of your normal charge pattern.
      2,000 miler
    • X(

TrafficJam wrote:

Damn thieves! It happened to me yesterday morning. I bought someone a Domino's Pizza in Vancouver. Then they decided to go to an electronics store but the charge was denied. My bank was on it right away thank goodness.

I believe most credit card companies watch it pretty close for abnormal charges...I was in Catawba getting some burgers at the local store ( Homeplace was closed ) and my card wouldn't go through, found out later they put a hold on it because of charges at places out of the ordinary for me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

if i was going to go to the trouble of stealing someones credit card i'd have my sights set a bit higher than a pizza from dominos. :)

i'm guessing the bank caught it early as the card being used in another country was deemed as being outside of your normal charge pattern.

Guess I'm fortunate...only thing I've been hit with was a $20 tip for a $20 pizza I ordered for someone in VA...I was in AL.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Guess I'm fortunate...only thing I've been hit with was a $20 tip for a $20 pizza I ordered for someone in VA...I was in AL.

At least they didn't think you were a lousy tipper.
    • Drybones wrote:

X(

TrafficJam wrote:

I believe most credit card companies watch it pretty close for abnormal charges...I was in Catawba getting some burgers at the local store ( Homeplace was closed ) and my card wouldn't go through, found out later they put a hold on it because of charges at places out of the ordinary for me.

That's happened to me too. Even when you call and tell them you are going on a trip, they sometimes freeze the account. Apparently I used my card too many times in one day in Dublin and then the card didn't work at dinner. Fortunately, I always have a backup card.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I just had to cancel a card because someone charged $14k on it in Bangkok. (And I've had the bank lock it when I charged $50 in Vermont - an hour and a half away - because it was "out of state" - but they let $14k in Bangkok through?)

They may have figured they might be able to collect some interest on that amount.