Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Food Items you like to buy at a grocery store?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Food Items you like to buy at a grocery store?

OK I will start this off.. tried a few not great - but works... What works for you?

Marie Calendars Easy sides 240 cal and 2 servings per pouch add hot water and stir let sit 8 minutes in a cozy or fleece jacket.

[IMG:http://supermarketnews.com/site-files/supermarketnews.com/files/uploads/2013/04/easy-side.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re: Food Items you like to buy at a grocery store?

knorr sides, mashed potatoes, peanut butter snickers, jerky, fruit chews, peanut butter snickers, tunafish, salmon, chicken packets, peanutbutter, nuts, raises, crasens, wraps, bagels, and more snickers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Like HB says - BACON! +1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8 on this. Along with Nido, CIB, cheese, bread rounds, salami, cheese, ready to eat tuna salad, cheese, spam singles, cheese, bacon, cheese, oh yeah, bacon.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK I will start this off.. tried a few not great - but works... What works for you?

Marie Calendars Easy sides 240 cal and 2 servings per pouch add hot water and stir let sit 8 minutes in a cozy or fleece jacket.

[IMG:http://supermarketnews.com/site-files/supermarketnews.com/files/uploads/2013/04/easy-side.jpg]

I've tried those easy sides. I transfer them to freezer bags and put them in a cozy. Only thing is though I gotta let 'em go about a half an hour before I can eat 'em.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Speaking of shopping at the grocery store, can anybody find anything but tuna or salmon in the foil packets?
      I used to be able to find chicken, and had even heard rooms about ground beef, but no more.

Try Target. I can usually find Valley Farms chicken and Libby's ground beef in the retort pouches there. The problem is that it only seems to come in the 7 oz pouches nowadays, and that's too much for me. (Obviously, it doesn't keep after it's been opened.) It's just fine if I'm cooking for someone else, so you and Kathy should do well, or Tora will enjoy the leftovers!

A few years ago the contractor that Sweet Sue and Bumble Bee used for the 3 oz chicken packets went out of business after a sanitation incident, and they were off the market for a long time. I've seen them offered online since then, but not spotted them in the stores.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • If your going out for just a weekend, look in the freezer section. They have grilled chicken and bags of beef for fajitas. We've used this and it works well. Our walmart also carries the packs of chicken and beef crumbles. We didn't care too much for the beef so last month we dehydrated our own and it turned out Great!
    • Drybones - what can be purchased at a grocery that is outstanding for the trail?
      DMax - I like that... I add a little Italian bread crumb, little spice, and sea salt to the wet beef prior to dry.
      Milkman why half an hour - would they be cold?

Odd Man Out delivers - and gets a PEACE PRIZE FOR BEST POST!

JJ - second runner up... he be in the club... that's the ticket!
    • odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

..A few years ago the contractor that Sweet Sue and Bumble Bee used for the 3 oz chicken packets went out of business after a sanitation incident, and they were off the market for a long time. I've seen them offered online since then, but not spotted them in the stores.

$4.17 for 3 oz of chicken? I'd rather carry the chicken.

Uhm. Yeah. Makes the aluminium cans feel lighter, doesn't it? :)
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

..A few years ago the contractor that Sweet Sue and Bumble Bee used for the 3 oz chicken packets went out of business after a sanitation incident, and they were off the market for a long time. I've seen them offered online since then, but not spotted them in the stores.

I'm not convinced that the packaging with a small can is much heavier than one of those pouches. Maybe someday I'll test it with tuna.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones - what can be purchased at a grocery that is outstanding for the trail?
      DMax - I like that... I add a little Italian bread crumb, little spice, and sea salt to the wet beef prior to dry.
      Milkman why half an hour - would they be cold?

Odd Man Out delivers - and gets a PEACE PRIZE FOR BEST POST!

JJ - second runner up... he be in the club... that's the ticket!

I get a PRIZE! gif.014.gif
      Now I have to go delete all those mean things I said about you on Facebook :evil:
    • odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I'm not convinced that the packaging with a small can is much heavier than one of those pouches. Maybe someday I'll test it with tuna.

I have pondered these pouches many times. They are available at our Dollar Tree stores up here for .... wait for it... a dollar each. My concern has not been weight. I have been concerned about attracting critters. Is that an "unreasonable fear"?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • on hikes longer than a week everything comes from the grocery store.

on weekend trips i don't mind "splurging" for a freeze dried meal.

for my next trip i bought a freeze dried beef stew at rei for $8 or so. on my next trip to the grocery i thot i would check on what a can of beef stew would cost. it was right at $2. more importantly, i'm sure it tastes better. that $6 would have paid for my bbq sandwich on the drive home...
      2,000 miler
    • BirdBrain wrote:

odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I have pondered these pouches many times. They are available at our Dollar Tree stores up here for .... wait for it... a dollar each. My concern has not been weight. I have been concerned about attracting critters. Is that an "unreasonable fear"?

easy enough to pack out in opsak "odorproof bags" most thru hikers use foil pouches.i eat tuna for lunch right of the packet, with a coupla squeez from the squeeze bottle.es of hellmans tartar sauce. i used to ggo crazy collecting mayo packets wherever and whenever i can, but theyre too hard to find on the trail. a squeeze bottle of mayo or tartar can last the 4-5 days till next resupply, even in summer.
      its all good
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I don't think they're any worse than any other sort of food packaging. Do you avoid freezer bag cooking so as not to have a dirty freezer bag attracting creatures? (Maybe you do... I don't recall what your reasoning was for going stoveless.)
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I don't think they're any worse than any other sort of food packaging. Do you avoid freezer bag cooking so as not to have a dirty freezer bag attracting creatures? (Maybe you do... I don't recall what your reasoning was for going stoveless.)

I freezer bag cook on trips longer then 3 days and go stove less on trips shorter then 4 days. It is a gram weenie thing. After 3 days the stove less food weighs more then carrying a stove, fuel, and freezer bag food.

As a former trapper, I am more concerned about the odors of oily meats then I am about mac-n-cheese and oatmeal. Again, it might be an unreasonable fear.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Found a new one. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks great.
      Meijer Naturals (store brand - if you don't live near a Meijer, you should).

Barley Peas and Lentils
      Ingredients, precooked barley, precooked split peas, precooked yellow lentils. In a plastic bag - 8.5 oz
      Directions. Mix 1 cup of product with 2.5 cups of water. Bring to boil, cook on low for 10 min. Let set for 5 min. 230 cal per serving (1/2 cup dry). 1 g fat, 43 g carbs, 12 g protein, 10 g fiber.
      I will add salt, seasonings (curry?), and olive oil. Sound yummy and healthy.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I freezer bag cook on trips longer then 3 days and go stove less on trips shorter then 4 days. It is a gram weenie thing. After 3 days the stove less food weighs more then carrying a stove, fuel, and freezer bag food.

As a former trapper, I am more concerned about the odors of oily meats then I am about mac-n-cheese and oatmeal. Again, it might be an unreasonable fear.

I think I worry more about peanut butter. Is there a mammal, bird, or insect that doesn't eat peanut butter?
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I think I worry more about peanut butter. Is there a mammal, bird, or insect that doesn't eat peanut butter?

PB is what I use for baiting my traps for flying squirrels in the attic.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

Found a new one. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks great.
      Meijer Naturals (store brand - if you don't live near a Meijer, you should).

Barley Peas and Lentils
      Ingredients, precooked barley, precooked split peas, precooked yellow lentils. In a plastic bag - 8.5 oz
      Directions. Mix 1 cup of product with 2.5 cups of water. Bring to boil, cook on low for 10 min. Let set for 5 min. 230 cal per serving (1/2 cup dry). 1 g fat, 43 g carbs, 12 g protein, 10 g fiber.
      I will add salt, seasonings (curry?), and olive oil. Sound yummy and healthy.

Just watch out for it in the pot nine days old. (Sure sounds like pease porridge...)
    • I keep a stash of chicken packs, normally put them in with Ramen noodles to get some protein
      Salmon with jalapenos, Bear Creek soups to mix with Ramen or alone, beef stick, hard cheese, any kind of bread with high calories, peanut butter, honey, trail mix, rice, pasta...and of course, Snickers....anything but Korr sides.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I bought a bunch of freeze dried meals form REI last summer when they were on sale and I had the member's rebate. I haven't eaten any of them. On short trips it's easy to pack stuff like tuna, crackers, tortillas, peanut butter, soup, etc.

Come on TJ ya got to deliver! Hard Boil Eggs and Sea Salt taped to the side..for breakfast!

Here is the second contribution!

California Raisins 1box is 130 calories! 1.5 oz double up. the boxes

OK this is all about think outside the box folks!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Y'all are making me reconsider peanut butter. Actually, I like chocolate almond butter better than peanut butter but I don't suppose that makes a difference.

I've learned to like peanut butter recently, after weights training at he gym I go home and immediately make a shake with a little skim milk, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, 5-6 ice cubes, a huge wad of peanut butter and a scoop of vanilla whey protein. I was looking for a way to make the protein powder tolerable...I actually like the shake a lot.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have to take a moment,,,,,,,,,,, and report you to the office of redundancy and they will bump -it to the office of the FDA = Facebook Display of Affection

IDGAD and thats OK.... As HB would say .. wait for it...............................................................................................................................................................................its akk all goood.
    • hikerboy wrote:

its okay on a short section but i get sick of peanut butter pretty quick on longer trips.i get those 6 pack cracker packs, some with peanut butter, others with cheese or cream cheese and chives.

I was surprised at how much I liked those PB-cracker snacks. I'm always looking for interesting stuff at the supermarket that might be suitable for hiking. Lipton's sides are a perennial favorite. Cheese, almost any kind, lasts well. Bound to get greasy so it needs to be double- or triple-packaged.

Halvah! If you can find it. It's a sort of candy made from ground sesame seeds, so it has everything a hiker needs: protein, carbs, and fat. And delicious! Probably not for super-hot weather though. If I can find it at all, it's usually near the deli section, or ethnic foods (it's a middle-eastern thing. See joyva.com/)
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I bought a bunch of freeze dried meals form REI last summer when they were on sale and I had the member's rebate. I haven't eaten any of them. On short trips it's easy to pack stuff like tuna, crackers, tortillas, peanut butter, soup, etc.

Come on TJ ya got to deliver! Hard Boil Eggs and Sea Salt taped to the side..for breakfast!

Here is the second contribution!

California Raisins 1box is 130 calories! 1.5 oz double up. the boxes

OK this is all about think outside the box folks!

I'm more into keeping it simple. But I did have a really good lentil salad for lunch today. ^^
      Images
      • image.jpg

1.23 MB, 2,048×1,744, viewed 615 times
      Lost in the right direction.