Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Things I need to fix/change/tweak for 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Things I need to fix/change/tweak for 2015

I changed a few things from my 2013 trip across Maine to my trip across NH this year. Next year I am wrestling between taking in the remaining 4000'ers of New England, continuing down the AT through Vermont and Massachusetts, or doing the long trail with the part from NH to the where the AT Long Trail junction as a shakedown. The 3rd option was suggested to by a NoBo I met this last week. One thing is certain. I need to modify a few things for next year and I covet you input.

Before I post my list, let me state that I debate input not because I dismiss, but rather because I want to compel the person with the suggestion to defend the suggestion. As an example, I debated with WOO about side burner verses center burner for quite a while. He was right. I was wrong. WOO is not shy. He did not back down. I just had to find the right center burner. I believe I have found it. I would likely have not found it if it were not for this site and such interaction.

So here is the list with as brief of a reasoning as I am able on each item:

1) I need a new sleeping bag. I made a bad choice in getting the 45° Big Agnes synthetic insulated bag I have. I love the concept. I prefer to get another Big Agnes bag because I roll around like crazy in my sleep and the sleeve for the pad is a must for me. My mistakes were not getting a warmer bag and not getting down. I think I know which one I want. I don't want to get a bag that is much heavier than the one I have now.

2) I need to modify my pack. I love my Osprey Aether. I think I can just chop it up and be satisfied. I plan to get rid of every zipper and extra attachment that I am not using. I have also toyed with the idea of trying to attach a cuben fiber ruck sack to the frame. I really love the Osprey frame and belt system. I don't think I can move away from that part.

3) I need to change my caldera cone to titanium. I would prefer to buy a sheet of the material and make my own to the exact dimensions of my current aluminum one. I want to do this because titanium is more durable and is a better insulator.

4) I need to find a mini flex head butane lighter for reasons I have already listed elsewhere. I am considering modifying one or building one. I am also considering just taking matches.

5) I need new sneakers. I love my New Balance MT610's. However, they are no longer made and they wear out too fast. I have gone through 2 pair so far in getting to Vermont. I cannot hike in anything much heavier or more constricting.

6) I am considering abandoning the ATC maps and guides. I found the elevation profiles in Maine to be great but the NH ones to be almost useless in some areas. They were so far off in places it was absurd. Mt Mist is a prime example. I have no clue what they were looking at when they drew that. I see many people with AWOL's guide. It seemed to always have the info I was seeking. I am considering getting it instead.

I am sure I will add to this list as time goes on. I have so many things that I am very happy with. Much of it is because of you people and your thoughts. I selfishly await more input.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

3) I need to change my caldera cone to titanium. I would prefer to buy a sheet of the material and make my own to the exact dimensions of my current aluminum one. I want to do this because titanium is more durable and is a better insulator.

5) I need new sneakers. I love my New Balance MT610's. However, they are no longer made and they wear out too fast. I have gone through 2 pair so far in getting to Vermont. I cannot hike in anything much heavier or more constricting.

6) I am considering abandoning the ATC maps and guides. I found the elevation profiles in Maine to be great but the NH ones to be almost useless in some areas. They were so far off in places it was absurd. Mt Mist is a prime example. I have no clue what they were looking at when they drew that. I see many people with AWOL's guide. It seemed to always have the info I was seeking. I am considering getting it instead.

Your sleeping bag and pack choices are personal. I hate my pack, but always have a higher priority when it comes to gear money. One of these years. The flex-head butane lighter, I can't advise on. Stay safe when you're playing with fire!

Sneakers are a consumable item. The combination of adequate traction, light enough weight, and fast enough drying is not compatible with durability. Friends of mine who wear similar things on their feet tell me that they went through 6-8 pair in a thru-hike. They do last a little longer, I hear, from Harrisburg to Damascus, where the Rock Monster isn't as hungry for shoes. I'm disappointed that NB discontinued the MT610. Do please let me know if you find something similar, since I liked them, too!

All elevation profiles lie. And all trail guidebooks are obsolete as soon as they're published. The 135-miler I have coming up is on a trail that has only one guidebook in print, and has been through a couple of major relocations since the last edition - not to mention the changes to local businesses, the beaver projects, and what not. I'm largely going with information from people on the forums. (Some of them are on this site - thanks, guys!) I have a lot written in the margins of the guide, and I've got my own spreadsheets to serve as a data book of sorts. I'll see how it works out. Adventures are called inconveniences when you're having one.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Just did a google search to confirm my NB statement. I was relying on the local factory statements. Oxford and Skowhegan told me it was not made anymore. I have the NB610v2.

Guess what: V3 is available. :thumbsup:

Yay!

Now, why do they have to make them only in colours that look like clown vomit? I guess the clay will cover it up, anyway. I always seem to have clay on my shoes.
    • I didn't buy AWOL's guide until May. I love it and wish I had bought it sooner. When I hiked 19# to Erwin, it was awesome knowing where to find water and the distance to the next campsite.

When I hiked in PA and VA last winter, I had to do a ton of research...but I learned a lot. Sometimes I feel like guilty using AWOL's guide, like someone is holding my hand and making it too easy.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I didn't buy AWOL's guide until May. I love it and wish I had bought it sooner. When I hiked 19# to Erwin, it was awesome knowing where to find water and the distance to the next campsite.

When I hiked in PA and VA last winter, I had to do a ton of research...but I learned a lot. Sometimes I feel like guilty using AWOL's guide, like someone is holding my hand and making it too easy.

I feel no guilt knowing where the next water source is, yes, I could ask a passing hiker but that wouldn't be any different than getting the info from a book.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • hikerboy wrote:

the companion added elevation profiles for 2014. i hate elevation profiles.

i agree. i already carry maps. i don't need another elevation profile in my guidebook.

the elevation profiles are expertly done. however, they come at a steep price. the companion is 1/2 inch wider and 1 3/4 inches longer because of the elevation profiles and it no longer fits in a standard quart ziplock.

however, it must be mentioned that the companion added the elevation profiles as that is what the majority of hikers wanted. awol had em, the companion didn't, and that was a major reason why many hikers chose awol over the companion. i don't like the decision but i certainly understand it. i can live with the fact that the companion listened to what the people wanted and acted accordingly.
      2,000 miler
    • I started out with the Companion, and switched to AWOL the next year, which I personally enjoy much more. The Companion had interesting information, but AWOL focuses more on what I feel I need when I am actually on the AT. I personally like the elevation profiles, but for me the AWOL format is more than that. I have not used maps since the original GA & NC ones.

If you ever are able to get away from your Osprey pack, I would recommend looking at ULA. No zippers except on the hip strap pockets.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • After this summer's hike, I'm also considering a few tweaks (destination next summer yet undecided).

I sold my SMD Skyskape Trekker, going to switch to a TT Notch, I think. I would rather have two doors to take advantage of both vestabules. Didn't like the tie backs on the flaps on the Trekker.

I have a BD spot headlamp. Never used it. May downsize to something like a Petzel e+Lite

I'm using a short/wide Neoair Trekker with a torso length thin CCF pad for legs. Ended up using my pack for my legs. Might consider getting a Klymit Static V2 - read good things about it.

Need a new hiking shirt. Last one disintegrated (it was old before I started). May go to one with Permethrin pretreatment. Or maybe a hemp shirt and treat it myself.

After all that work on my eCHS stove (which worked great), I thought about trying a Soto canister stove, just to see how I like it. Will keep my Olicamp pot.

I could use a good sun had and rain gear. My baseball cap and North Face are OK. Just not "cool".
    • odd man out wrote:

After this summer's hike, I'm also considering a few tweaks (destination next summer yet undecided).

I sold my SMD Skyskape Trekker, going to switch to a TT Notch, I think. I would rather have two doors to take advantage of both vestabules. Didn't like the tie backs on the flaps on the Trekker.

I have a BD spot headlamp. Never used it. May downsize to something like a Petzel e+Lite

I'm using a short/wide Neoair Trekker with a torso length thin CCF pad for legs. Ended up using my pack for my legs. Might consider getting a Klymit Static V2 - read good things about it.

Need a new hiking shirt. Last one disintegrated (it was old before I started). May go to one with Permethrin pretreatment. Or maybe a hemp shirt and treat it myself.

After all that work on my eCHS stove (which worked great), I thought about trying a Soto canister stove, just to see how I like it. Will keep my Olicamp pot.

I could use a good sun had and rain gear. My baseball cap and North Face are OK. Just not "cool".

I really hope others will do what you just did. I would love to see their thoughts. I just have a couple comments.

Treat all your cloths in permethrin. I treat all my clothing and am yet to see a tick on the trail.

I love my Packa. It only rained one day on my walk from Franconia to Vermont. However, it illustrated something that should be considered. It rained off and on all the way up Smart Mountain. Smart Mountain is not a beast, but it is a long steady climb. As I climbed I was able to change my rain setup over and over with barely breaking a stride. When it was pouring, I had it all zipped and cinched. As it ebbed I would loosen things, then unzip things, pull the hood down, and finally take the sleeves off. As the rain increased, I would Do the opposite. At Bill's (on the other side of Smart Mountain) I demonstrated this to 6 SoBo's that were just ahead of me during the same storm. I asked them what they did. One girl exclaimed, "Oh my God! I have to have one of those things".

I have strong opinions. I am bold in what I express. I am often wrong and am willing to admit it when I am and am willing to change. I have so few things that I truly believe are as good as they can be. I am so envious of the choices other people have made on their big 3. I am still struggling with many other items. However, permethrin and my Packa are things that I believe are perfect. They resolve 2 major issues about the trail better than anything else I have seen as an option.
    • I'm always reading gear reviews, suggestions, etc. Every time I see something interesting, I look it up on the internet and the bookmark the page in a folder named Gear. Occasionally I sort through the bookmarks, pushing the stuff I'm most interested in up, less interested down. Stuff I'm no longer interested in gets deleted. When I feel like shopping, I start at the top of the list and see what I can afford. Right now, I think the Packa is second on the list (after the Notch).
    • milkman wrote:

How is that Packa by itself to just walk around in and hang out at camp go get water etc. Does it wear like a jacket or more like a poncho?

This is the main complaint I hear about the Packa. People say it is weird having a empty bubble on your back. They also question how you set up a tent in the rain while wearing one. Both are zero issues for me. My hiking style makes the tent setup issue a non issue. I arrive at camp earlier then most people. If it is raining, I set the tent up in the shelter and move it out to the tent spot fully assembled. As to getting wet at camp. I don't mind. I like running around in the rain. I am likely going to dive into a pond or stream and get soaked anyways. Rain just makes it so I can take my bath while walking around. Once in a while it is cold and raining. In those instances I have to wear the bubble.

Now to answer your question. It wears like a poncho with a bubble on your back. Not an issue to me. I like it for how it functions while on the trail. I don't care if it looks silly at camp.
    • milkman wrote:

Fair enough BB. Thanks. You claim that I turned you on to Dirty Girls - one day I may claim you turned me on to the Packa.

Yes you did turn me on to Dirty Girls (is anyone really surprised). I should start a thread about all the gear I have because of you guys. I could call it "I am doing it all wrong and I am blaming you guys". One more thing about the Packa. The pit zips are huge. I find that if you unzip them any further than to your armpits, the pack will get wet. I unzip the pit zips to within an inch or 2 of my armpits (starting at my elbows).
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Fair enough BB. Thanks. You claim that I turned you on to Dirty Girls - one day I may claim you turned me on to the Packa.

Yes you did turn me on to Dirty Girls (is anyone really surprised). I should start a thread about all the gear I have because of you guys. I could call it "I am doing it all wrong and I am blaming you guys". One more thing about the Packa. The pit zips are huge. I find that if you unzip them any further than to your armpits, the pack will get wet. I unzip the pit zips to within an inch or 2 of my armpits (starting at my elbows).

What material did you get?
      Had something else I was gonna ask but I forget now. Is it still Monday?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • I had one of those rain on/rain off days back in VA in July. It was really annoying. When it first started to rain I stop, find a branch to hold up my trekking poles, take off my pack, dig out my raincoat, unpack the raincoat (it stores in its own pocket), put on raincoat, put pack back on (which is now harder because its going over the jacket, try to pick up trekking poles off the ground while wearing pack as they always fall on the ground no matter how hard you try, then get annoyed as it has now stopped raining. So next time you wait until it's really raining before you go through all that, and now you are wet and frustrated (instead of dry and frustrated). Of course for summer hiking, I'm not so concerned about getting wet, but but you got to have rain gear anyway, so it might as well be the most functional if possible.

One other Packa question. I don't think I would care about wearing it around camp. I've seen the videos of people pulling the jacket out of the packa while in pack cover mode. But what about when it stops raining. Can you take off the jacket and tuck it back into the pack cover without taking it off? or do you just lit it hang behind you until you need it again? Or do you have to take the pack off to reset to pack-cover mode when the rain stops?
    • BB I never thought it was a debate, hence my separate thread.. I actual loved the thought process you presented. I had made many tests over the years and somewhere I knew you would come around... You blew me away when Tekoba showed up, I have enjoyed the years of our presence and our cyber hiking! You will always remain in my heart for passion of the trail.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • The only thing I really need are new shoes. I haven't worn the Brooks Cascadias since I hiked to Erwin, I decided they were too big and the traction isn't as good as my running shoes. I've been wearing my Sauconys but they are worn out.

I'd like some Dirty Girl gaiters to keep the dirt out of my shoes.
      I'd like a warmer sleeping bag but I'm still thinking about that.
      I'd like new pants, mine are too big and they stretch out even more after wearing them for a day. Why do they do that?
      I'd like that altimeter thingy of Llhikers, that is pretty cool.

BB, based on the comments in the sleeping bag thread, it sounds like you need a BA Ranger.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

The only thing I really need are new shoes. I haven't worn the Brooks Cascadias since I hiked to Erwin, I decided they were too big and the traction isn't as good as my running shoes. I've been wearing my Sauconys but they are worn out.

I'd like new pants, mine are too big and they stretch out even more after wearing them for a day. Why do they do that?

BB, based on the comments in the sleeping bag thread, it sounds like you need a BA Ranger.

met a few women this year hiking in these/ i had the mens version before i switched to ultraraptors. you wont find a grippier sole.they use climbing rubber, with opposing lugs that grip everything from slickrock to mud.

moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/pro…090711_10208_10000001_-1_
      its all good
    • @ HB - I have not used any of the things I cut off in the past 2 years. Not sure why Osprey puts so many attachments on in the first place.

@ TJ - I am concidering the 30° BA Fish Hawk. Not sure. BA bags are heavier then some, but I really need that sleeve for the pad. The way I sleep, it would be in the next county if it weren't nailed down.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

@ HB - I have not used any of the things I cut off in the past 2 years. Not sure why Osprey puts so many attachments on in the first place.

@ TJ - I am concidering the 30° BA Fish Hawk. Not sure. BA bags are heavier then some, but I really need that sleeve for the pad. The way I sleep, it would be in the next county if it weren't nailed down.

I wind up using a LOT of the attachments on my larger pack when I'm out in the winter. Snowshoes, crampon bag, shovel, extra sleeping pad, ice axe, and poles all get racked on the outside of the pack. If I didn't do winter peakbagging, I'd wonder what all that stuff was for, too.

I'm a restless sleeper, too. I find that painting a few stripes of silicone (clear bathtub caulk, thinned with mineral spirit to about the thickness of olive oil) on the floor of the tent keeps my pad from sliding around. It's just sticky enough that the pad doesn't go shooting out from under me when I roll over. I learnt that trick from Henry Shires.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

The only thing I really need are new shoes. I haven't worn the Brooks Cascadias since I hiked to Erwin, I decided they were too big and the traction isn't as good as my running shoes. I've been wearing my Sauconys but they are worn out.

Are you sending this list to Santa? Those Dirty Girls may make him wonder if you've been naughty or nice. What do you have in mind for the new bag, weight, rating, etc.? I have an REI, 15*, 2 lb, 750 down ladies bag that's never been in a pack and slept in one night car camping I need to do something with.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Better for your pants to be getting looser than tighter. :)
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

She's not packing the right foods.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

She's not packing the right foods.

Maybe cheesecake could help solve the problem.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Are you sending this list to Santa? Those Dirty Girls may make him wonder if you've been naughty or nice. What do you have in mind for the new bag, weight, rating, etc.? I have an REI, 15*, 2 lb, 750 down ladies bag that's never been in a pack and slept in one night car camping I need to do something with.

I get really cold. I have a 20* synthetic bag that doesn't keep me warm even when it's 40* so I'm torn about what to get. I've been thinking about a 10* down bag. My worry is that a 20* synthetic bag is not comparable to a 20* down bag and the 10* down bag will end up being overkill. I hope that makes sense.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I get really cold. I have a 20* synthetic bag that doesn't keep me warm even when it's 40* so I'm torn about what to get. I've been thinking about a 10* down bag. My worry is that a 20* synthetic bag is not comparable to a 20* down bag and the 10* down bag will end up being overkill. I hope that makes sense.

Have you tried sleeping with socks, gloves and a hat on? I also keep a couple of those disposable hand warmers in my pack to throw down in the bottom of my quilt on those really cold nights- one will last all night. Also you can put hot water in a bottle, put a sock over it and put that in your bag. But you sound like you might need a better/warmer bag. try the other stuff first before you drop all that money.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference