Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

9/11/01

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • "The country I am talking about flies private planes and is EXEMPT from TSA..."

      Each private plane I've flown is free from TSA scrutiny, once I access the flight line.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SandyofPA wrote:

      My rich brother-in-law flew the family to an event by private jet, no TSA, drive car right to the plane outside hangar, jump in, off we go! They took the car to a parking garage for us. Met at the other end by limo. It was amazing to see how the other half live.
      this didn’t involve an eclipse in Nova Scotia did it? Just checkin’
    • Jake Ace wrote:

      SandyofPA wrote:

      My rich brother-in-law flew the family to an event by private jet, no TSA, drive car right to the plane outside hangar, jump in, off we go! They took the car to a parking garage for us. Met at the other end by limo. It was amazing to see how the other half live.
      this didn’t involve an eclipse in Nova Scotia did it? Just checkin’
      No, he went to Tenn. for that, our trip was 5 years ago for his Superbowl party. Mom has since passed on, we got to come since he was sending the plane for her anyway and she had stopped driving by then and we drove her to the airport!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      SandyofPA wrote:

      My rich brother-in-law flew the family to an event by private jet, no TSA, drive car right to the plane outside hangar, jump in, off we go! They took the car to a parking garage for us. Met at the other end by limo. It was amazing to see how the other half live.
      this didn’t involve an eclipse in Nova Scotia did it? Just checkin’
      No, he went to Tenn. for that, our trip was 5 years ago for his Superbowl party. Mom has since passed on, we got to come since he was sending the plane for her anyway and she had stopped driving by then and we drove her to the airport!
      very nice.
    • Since the thread has been resurrected...

      I was home, off from both jobs that day. I was as usual goofing off on the innerwebz while enjoying the morning coffee and a rare weekday off. My routine was to flip to Headline News, listen to it for a few half hour cycles, usually picking up the big stories through that. By the time of the attacks I had turned down the volume but still had the TV on. I was in a Yahoo chat room (anyone remember those?) and someone screame in all caps, "OMG A PLANE HIT THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!" I figured it was some sort of joke so I waited for a punchline. Then I caught the reflection of the TV behind me on the monitor, and saw the smoke pouring from the first tower. I remained glued to the TV all day other than answering the phone when both jobs (Fire dept and local hospital transport) called. Fire dept to tell me all shifts had been put on standby and to stay at home or give them my cell number, the hospital asking if I could be on call just in case things went nutty in the area (being near Camp Lejeune).

      Early last year I went to NYC for the first time, and of course a trip to the memorial/museum was a must. Up until that point I was the odd firefighter out who was sick of hearing "343." We lost 3,000 people that day, and while the firefighters were my brothers, and deserve the honor and respect they've been given, I don't feel they deserve any extra mourning than anyone else. (Not to mention I was sick to death of every damned fire-related patch and tattoo incorporating "343" in some way.) Anyway, that all melted away when I arrived at the remains of that crushed ladder. The floodgates opened, my knees gave out, and I had a meltdown like I hadn't had since my Mom passed away. My girlfriend and I were there together but each having our own experience at the memorial, walking as we wanted, seeing what we wanted, but generally keeping apace of one another because we were fairly limited on time for our visit, unfortunately. At some point 15 or so minutes later she realized she hadn't seen me for a bit and started looking around. When she couldn't find me she tried texting and messaging on Facebook. I felt my phone vibrating but really didn't notice it. She started backtracking and found me where I had collapsed in a puddle. A firefighter from somewhere (I wish I had gotten his information) had stopped to see if I was okay, and sat with me and a few folks had gathered around. As she got back to that point, my gf saw the crowd and beelined toward it, figuring out what had likely happened. We walked hand-in-hand (she is NOT a handholder) through the rest of the place without another word spoken.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

      Since the thread has been resurrected...

      I was home, off from both jobs that day. I was as usual goofing off on the innerwebz while enjoying the morning coffee and a rare weekday off. My routine was to flip to Headline News, listen to it for a few half hour cycles, usually picking up the big stories through that. By the time of the attacks I had turned down the volume but still had the TV on. I was in a Yahoo chat room (anyone remember those?) and someone screame in all caps, "OMG A PLANE HIT THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!" I figured it was some sort of joke so I waited for a punchline. Then I caught the reflection of the TV behind me on the monitor, and saw the smoke pouring from the first tower. I remained glued to the TV all day other than answering the phone when both jobs (Fire dept and local hospital transport) called. Fire dept to tell me all shifts had been put on standby and to stay at home or give them my cell number, the hospital asking if I could be on call just in case things went nutty in the area (being near Camp Lejeune).

      Early last year I went to NYC for the first time, and of course a trip to the memorial/museum was a must. Up until that point I was the odd firefighter out who was sick of hearing "343." We lost 3,000 people that day, and while the firefighters were my brothers, and deserve the honor and respect they've been given, I don't feel they deserve any extra mourning than anyone else. (Not to mention I was sick to death of every damned fire-related patch and tattoo incorporating "343" in some way.) Anyway, that all melted away when I arrived at the remains of that crushed ladder. The floodgates opened, my knees gave out, and I had a meltdown like I hadn't had since my Mom passed away. My girlfriend and I were there together but each having our own experience at the memorial, walking as we wanted, seeing what we wanted, but generally keeping apace of one another because we were fairly limited on time for our visit, unfortunately. At some point 15 or so minutes later she realized she hadn't seen me for a bit and started looking around. When she couldn't find me she tried texting and messaging on Facebook. I felt my phone vibrating but really didn't notice it. She started backtracking and found me where I had collapsed in a puddle. A firefighter from somewhere (I wish I had gotten his information) had stopped to see if I was okay, and sat with me and a few folks had gathered around. As she got back to that point, my gf saw the crowd and beelined toward it, figuring out what had likely happened. We walked hand-in-hand (she is NOT a handholder) through the rest of the place without another word spoken.
      Blessed is the influence
      of one true, loving
      human soul on another.

      ...George Eliot
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Bo Peep ().