Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Beer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

OMO,
      I highly recommend 'Back Woods Bastard', which is basically a bourbon barrel aged 'Dirty Bastard'. Excellent beer, highly sought after.

People either love or hate the 'Devil Dancer', there seems to be no in between. Somehow the hops they use give it an 'oniony' flavor that some people hate. I like to age my Deil Dancer for several years, it gains more of a Barleywine flavor.

Other recommendations for Founders... their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) and CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout). Both very hard to get. Look for the KBS on 'Black Friday.'
      I will try the BWB. I think they have that at the tap room this week. Maybe I'll taste DD. If you're nice to the bartender, they will give you samples (just be sure to actually buy something and tip well). I tried KBS at The Electric Cheetah once (a restaurant in town). Since it's a local beer for me, we can sometimes get it on tap outside the brewery. KBS has become sort of a cult beer so there is always a rush on it in the spring when it comes out. I didn't like it that much, but I'm not such a fan of really big beers. I suppose that means I may not like DD either. But the BWB sounds good. Barrel aged beers have been very trendy for several years. Now people are getting into sour beers (Founders has Green Zerbra). I'm not a huge fan of those either. From a brewers perspective it's harder to make a really good beer with fewer ingredients. I'm still looking for a good Mild. That style is almost impossible to find. The Tripple Crown Brown from The Mitten Brewery (near NW side) is one that I can get locally.
    • max.patch wrote:

where's LW -- we need him to balance out this discussion as he discusses the merits of bud light.
      WRT my last post, lighter beers are much harder to produce big beers with lots of hops/malt/yeast/kitchen sink/etc... For this reason some of the best brewers in the world work for AB. Few if any brewers from microbreweries would be able to reliably make a Bud Light kind of beer. Of course if any of them would want to either. Ironically it takes great skill to make beer that crappy.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

where's LW -- we need him to balance out this discussion as he discusses the merits of bud light.
      WRT my last post, lighter beers are much harder to produce big beers with lots of hops/malt/yeast/kitchen sink/etc... For this reason some of the best brewers in the world work for AB. Few if any brewers from microbreweries would be able to reliably make a Bud Light kind of beer. Of course if any of them would want to either. Ironically it takes great skill to make beer that crappy.
      well...i certainly didn't know that!
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Cof124
    • One of my buddy’s had to memorize this to get into his frat, along with a bunch of other stupid Shyte.

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."
    • uncle meat wrote:

One of my buddy’s had to memorize this to get into his frat, along with a bunch of other stupid Shyte.

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."
      i can't repeat here the stuff we memorized to get into the frat. lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

One of my buddy’s had to memorize this to get into his frat, along with a bunch of other stupid Shyte.

here lemme help ya, did it go like this?

“Take Yo panies off” :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

here lemme help ya, did it go like this?
      “Take Yo panies off” :D
      no. It was "Eat, lick......XXX
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • uncle meat wrote:

I was in a music fraternity. We had kegger parties where we would play a recording of the entire Messiah by Handel. Then at midnight we would play the house recording of Mud Shark by Frank Zappa.
    • odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I was in a music fraternity. We had kegger parties where we would play a recording of the entire Messiah by Handel. Then at midnight we would play the house recording of Mud Shark by Frank Zappa.
      Wow! Just listen to that the other day.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

here lemme help ya, did it go like this?“Take Yo panies off” :D
      no. It was "Eat, lick......XXX
      I shoulda went ta college! :thumbsup:
    • uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

zappa or handel?
    • odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

zappa or handel?
      Zappa
    • uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

zappa or handel?
      Zappa
      I am not a betting man, but I would have felt pretty safe wagering on that one. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Giving this a try. It's named after the Metacomet trail a great trail which follows a traprock ridgeline in Western CT and is now part of the New England trail.

7.5%ABV
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I have been very remiss in not reporting back on the last two beers that Scotty sent me.

The third beer that I tried was Heady Topper by the Alchemist from Stowe Vermont. Scotty says this one was once rated the top beer in the world but that was overhype. I’m no beer connoisseur but have to agree. It was a good, pleasant beer, one that I’d consider a ‘house’ beer, very nice but not the best I’ve ever had. I did enjoy it and would definitely drink it again. Uncharacteristically, I did not take a photo.

The last beer was Double Dry Hopped Melcher Street by Trillium Brewery... a true, New England-style IPA. Honestly, I saved it for last because I was prepared to not like it based on the name. I don’t like very bitter beer and it sounded bitter. Was I in for a surprise. I thought it was delicious and hoppy without the overpowering bitterness that I dislike. My son-in-Law has also tried this beer and his comment was disparaging about why brewers feel the need to load up a beer with hops and think that’s going to make it tasty. I don’t know about all that, I thought it was very good.

Scotty has spoiled IPA’s for me now that I’ve tried the good ones. No wonder I’ve not been a fan, the ones I’ve tried were bitter with no balance. I’m definitely now an IPA fan but will be more discerning in my future purchases.

Thanks again Scotty!

I have a Ballast Point IPA in the fridge that is calling my name...
      Lost in the right direction.
    • As most of the forum folks may know, CO, KS, and OK recently changed laws allowing higher alcohol content beers to be sold in grocery/convenience stores. Previously such beers were only sold in specific stores. Therefore UT and MN are the remaining states prohibiting sale of high alcohol content outside of state or private liquor stores.

Therefore demand for 3.2 beer most likely will decrease resulting in decreased production. Anheuser-Busch has announced a reduction of beer varieties is in the works for Utah unless the legislature changes alcohol laws. Currently such legislation is not under discussion.

However a likely benefit to this trend is local microbreweries will have an opportunity to expand market share as they fill this product niche.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

As most of the forum folks may know, CO, KS, and OK recently changed laws allowing higher alcohol content beers to be sold in grocery/convenience stores. Previously such beers were only sold in specific stores. Therefore UT and MN are the remaining states prohibiting sale of high alcohol content outside of state or private liquor stores.

Therefore demand for 3.2 beer most likely will decrease resulting in decreased production. Anheuser-Busch has announced a reduction of beer varieties is in the works for Utah unless the legislature changes alcohol laws. Currently such legislation is not under discussion.

However a likely benefit to this trend is local microbreweries will have an opportunity to expand market share as they fill this product niche.
      Defining "high alcohol" as more than 3.2% is rather amusing. When I go to the brew pub, I see session (i.e. low alcohol) beers with 5% or 6% alcohol. It just means its lower than all the other 8% to 10% imperial, triple, uber IPAs on the tap list.
    • i had a blueberry sour ale with dinner. never had a sour beer before and never had blueberries in my beer either so it was a new experience for me.

the nashville chicken (first time for that too) sandwich was fantastic, but wasn't nearly as hot as i thot it would be. the fries were thru-hiker portion sized, but since i'm not a thru-hiker i left about half of em behind.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i had a blueberry sour ale with dinner. never had a sour beer before and never had blueberries in my beer either so it was a new experience for me.

the nashville chicken (first time for that too) sandwich was fantastic, but wasn't nearly as hot as i thot it would be. the fries were thru-hiker portion sized, but since i'm not a thru-hiker i left about half of em behind.
      Im not a fan of sour beer, despite my nephew working for a brewery in their sour beer department.
    • For an introduction to what a very slightly sour fruity beer can be, I recommend the New Glarus brewery. I can't get their beers in New England, but I have them shipped to me because there is no-one who masters this style like they do.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Recently, I tried New Belgium Hemperor. It’s brewed with hemp seeds and is supposed to taste like “cannabis terpenes”. I don’t know what terpenes are but it was very tasty. It sounds gimmicky, and maybe it is, but I will definitely drink it again.

Anyone else tried it?
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Recently, I tried New Belgium Hemperor. It’s brewed with hemp seeds and is supposed to taste like “cannabis terpenes”. I don’t know what terpenes are but it was very tasty. It sounds gimmicky, and maybe it is, but I will definitely drink it again.

Anyone else tried it?
      No, but I'd like to.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference