Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Beer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I should have taken pictures of all the DB construction, oh well guess I have to go back. The beer was a Gold Leaf Lager and it was excellent as was the BBQ. Quite a few hikers at Rockfish gap and Reid's gap. Beautiful day for a drive on the parkway.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Trying some new stuff that they recommended to me at the hobby shop...

Nummy Nummy
      Stubborn Beauty Brewing Co.
      Middletown, CT
      Imperial Style IPA - Unfiltered
      8.0%

Excellent, though a buddy does a homebrew that is almost identical.

I'm in Love with the Simcoe
      Connecticut Valley Brewing Co.
      New England Style IPA
      6%
      Mellow for an IPA, but I rather like it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Much to my disappointment, there were very few dark beers at the fest yesterday. It's probably a good thing as they are more filling which means less sampling. A local brewer, Underbite, had a great porter.

There was a lot of sour beer, all of which I didn't like. I tried key lime (yuck) and some others I can't remember. Tried a few pumpkin, including one I've had before and thought was decent (DB Pumpkin Hunter) but none of them impressed me.

I continue to develop a taste for IPA.

One of my favorite beers was Lunatic Blonde, a Belgian pale ale, by Wicked Weed in Asheville. As well as loving the name, it was pretty tasty.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Got introduced you Neuse River brewery recently and wound up putting two on tap at the restaurant. The La Fluer Saison and a Triple Rye Trappist style that is amazing. It really is one of the worst parts of my job. Beer is pushed on me weekly to taste.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Down to my last cans of my two favorite IPAs ever, so I thought I would treat myself to a side-by-side comparison. Here goes...

Both are incredibly hoppy, cloudy, juicy New England style IPA's. Headroom by Trillium Brewing of Boston is sold one day a year, I bought my two 4-pack limit. 3rd Anniversary by Other Half Brewing of Brooklyn, NY only came out once. I traded for some with a guy I met at last year's Extreme Beer Fest. Both bears are remarkably similar, in fact I'm pretty sure the Other Half people were going for a clone of Headroom.

They are both superb, but the winner by a nose is....3rd Anniverary. I am astounded that my favorite New England style IPA was made in Brooklyn. Unfortunately, it was a one-off and will never be brewed again [IMG:https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/fcb/1/16/1f641.png]

Cheers!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

i picked up a case of this at costco cuz i liked the design. brewed in atlanta and only available in the southeast.

[IMG:http://www.laughingskullbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/can-craft-ale.png]
      Looks like a good one to give out to the kids on halloween for 'Trick or Treat' :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Left hand brewing out of Longmont Colorado makes some delicious beer. Unfortunately they can't seem to figure out how to reliably carbonate it. For the second time in a year I've uncapped one of their bottles (one nitrogen and one that appeared bottle carbonated) only to have it piss out across my kitchen like a blown water main. To steal a phrase fron Tipi Walter, these are now outside my circle of trust. :cursing:

Edit: The photo is from after I cleaned up the mess.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• I need some refining of my beer palate so IMScotty was gracious enough to send me some amazing beer.

Beer # 1 was consumed today. It was Sip of Sunshine by Lawson's Finest Liquids. Recipe by Sean Lawson and contract brewed by a brewery in Connecticut.

Scotty says, "Sean Lawson is one of the finest brewers in the country. His handcrafted beers are near impossible to get, they get released once a week in two little country stores in Vermont. Every beer will be sold in minutes...the beers he personally brews are life changing off-the-charts good."

Well, I can't imagine anything better than his Sip of Sunshine. It's the best IPA I've ever tasted. It was the perfect balance of hops and citrus, one not overpowering the other. The name is absolutely perfect, it tasted like a sip of Sunshine.

Thank you for the excellent beer, Scotty. I can't wait to try the next one!

• Whoa!

Decided to make chili and sip on one of the beers Scotty gave me.

2013, Goose Island, Bourbon County stout aged in bourbon barrels. I love beer that has been aged in bourbons barrels. Love.It

Didn't read Scottys description to that I can form an impartial opinion. The aroma...oh my, all of my favorite things rolled into one...chocolate, bourbon, and beer. So thick and syrupy.

Holy crap! The first taste was a shock. There is nothing subtle about this beer. The flavors are intense. Somehow I missed the "14.9% alcohol" on the label...ut oh.

Seriously..ut oh...

• TrafficJam wrote:

Whoa!

Decided to make chili and sip on one of the beers Scotty gave me.

2013, Goose Island, Bourbon County stout aged in bourbon barrels. I love beer that has been aged in bourbons barrels. Love.It

Didn't read Scottys description to that I can form an impartial opinion. The aroma...oh my, all of my favorite things rolled into one...chocolate, bourbon, and beer. So thick and syrupy.

Holy crap! The first taste was a shock. There is nothing subtle about this beer. The flavors are intense. Somehow I missed the "14.9% alcohol" on the label...ut oh.

Seriously..ut oh...

Devils Backbone is building a distillery. Should be interesting to see what their whisky tastes like and if they use the whisky barrels for beer. I'll have to make regular pilgrimages to check on the progress. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Scotty says it has a kick...yu ain't kiddin. And to drink it at room temp. I have to agree, it's warmer and the flavors aren't such a slap in the face.
      Room temp (meaning 60*-63*) is best for beer, cheese, chocolate, bourbon, and tomatoes in my opinion.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

samuel adams utopias beer, $199 a bottle, made only every 2 years, 28% ABV (!), illegal in 13 states.

including, TJ, tennessee.

esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/…ontent=link&ICID=ref_fark
      And Utah. They label beer above 3.2 as ‘heavy’ beer.

Anyone have access and an opinion on Budweiser’s new pre-Prohibtion recipe beer? Advertised heavily on WS games.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Never been a big fan of heavy syrupy stouts. I d like dry stouts however. Last night I was at the local brew pub for team trivia night. Had a hazelnut coffee dry stout pushed with nitrogen. Flavors were sublte. Loved it. Plus, I came in third place in trivia and won a 10$ gift card to pay for next week's trivia night beer. It's hard competing solo against the teams. Too I don't have any friends.
    • max.patch wrote:

samuel adams utopias beer, $199 a bottle, made only every 2 years, 28% ABV (!), illegal in 13 states.

My first Utopias was poured for me by no less than Jim Koch founder of the Boston Beer Company (I am a beer brewer groupie).

I think it is great stuff, but don't get it thinking you are buying a beer. More like an overpriced liquor in a fancy bottle.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

My first Utopias was poured for me by no less than Jim Koch founder of the Boston Beer Company (I am a beer brewer groupie).
      I think it is great stuff, but don't get it thinking you are buying a beer. More like an overpriced liquor in a fancy bottle.
      i'm not qualified to debate beer with anyone, but seems to me that utopias is technically a beer kinda like a tomato is technically a fruit.

the article says that the high ABV kills all the carbonation and that the recommended serving size is 1 ounce.

do you remember what you paid for a shot of the stuff?

boy -- i'd hate to pay ball park prices for one of these!
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Many years ago I went to a beer lecture by Larry Bell (founder of Bell's Brewery, Kzoo, MI). He was serving Third Coast Old Ale (10.5%). I read the label wrong and thought it was their Third Coast Beer (4.5%), so I drank a a little too much a little too fast and paid for it.
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

My first Utopias was poured for me by no less than Jim Koch founder of the Boston Beer Company (I am a beer brewer groupie).I think it is great stuff, but don't get it thinking you are buying a beer. More like an overpriced liquor in a fancy bottle.
      i'm not qualified to debate beer with anyone, but seems to me that utopias is technically a beer kinda like a tomato is technically a fruit.
      the article says that the high ABV kills all the carbonation and that the recommended serving size is 1 ounce.

do you remember what you paid for a shot of the stuff?

boy -- i'd hate to pay ball park prices for one of these!
      It was at a 'Beer Fest' so it cost me either nothing or the price of admission depending on how you look at it. It was the grand finale finish to the fest (for those of us who were still standing :) ). I have never seen Utopias for sale by the glass.

odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

My first Utopias was poured for me by no less than Jim Koch founder of the Boston Beer Company (I am a beer brewer groupie).I think it is great stuff, but don't get it thinking you are buying a beer. More like an overpriced liquor in a fancy bottle.
      Many years ago I went to a beer lecture by Larry Bell (founder of Bell's Brewery, Kzoo, MI). He was serving Third Coast Old Ale (10.5%). I read the label wrong and thought it was their Third Coast Beer (4.5%), so I drank a a little too much a little too fast and paid for it.
      Bells makes some great stuff, I would like to get to their brewery some day.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • i'm sure there's a wine thread somewhere -- but this is close enough. :)

ATC trail store flyer came today. we can now buy an official 750 ml ATC wine growler for $40/$36.

...which is probably a better value than the coffee mug made by a former thru-hiker for $35/$32.

and while we're at it --- how about an official ATC wallet for $68/$62?
      2,000 miler
    • uncle meat wrote:

Do any of you gruel aficionados ever refer to IBU’s when picking out a swill?
      The more the better for me. More IBUs do not necessarily mean more bitter. The beer may also have the sweetness of more malt to balance out the bitterness. I think of high IBU beers as usually having more flavor (of course, this may vary).

Some high IBU beers I regularly drink; Dogfish 120 (120), Southern Tier Unearthly (153), and Founders Devil Dancer (200).

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

The more the better for me. More IBUs do not necessarily mean more bitter. The beer may also have the sweetness of more malt to balance out the bitterness. I think of high IBU beers as usually having more flavor (of course, this may vary).
      Some high IBU beers I regularly drink; Dogfish 120 (120), Southern Tier Unearthly (153), and Founders Devil Dancer (200).
      I too am a bit of a hop head, but 200 IBU in a Founders DD? Wow! I may have to go to the tap room and try that. Their web page says they have it on one (as of yesterday). Here's their description:
      • Devil Dancer 12% The Mecca of IPA's. Massive in complexity, the huge malt character balances the insane amount of alphas used to create it. This triple IPA is dry-hopped with TEN hop varieties.
      One of their signature beers is Dirty Bastard (a Scotish Ale). I had it in the tap room once and it was awesome so I went home and bought a six pack. But it wasn't nearly as good in the bottle. But that was ages ago when they were a little local brewery in their original near north side location. Now they operate on the south side of downtown in a big touristy-beer-mecca kind of place. Even though Bell's is also local, I've never been to their tap room. But it is nice that just about every place in town has Two Hearted Ale on tap.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

The more the better for me. More IBUs do not necessarily mean more bitter. The beer may also have the sweetness of more malt to balance out the bitterness. I think of high IBU beers as usually having more flavor (of course, this may vary).Some high IBU beers I regularly drink; Dogfish 120 (120), Southern Tier Unearthly (153), and Founders Devil Dancer (200).
      I too am a bit of a hop head, but 200 IBU in a Founders DD? Wow! I may have to go to the tap room and try that. Their web page says they have it on one (as of yesterday). Here's their description:
      • Devil Dancer 12% The Mecca of IPA's. Massive in complexity, the huge malt character balances the insane amount of alphas used to create it. This triple IPA is dry-hopped with TEN hop varieties.
      One of their signature beers is Dirty Bastard (a Scotish Ale). I had it in the tap room once and it was awesome so I went home and bought a six pack. But it wasn't nearly as good in the bottle. But that was ages ago when they were a little local brewery in their original near north side location. Now they operate on the south side of downtown in a big touristy-beer-mecca kind of place. Even though Bell's is also local, I've never been to their tap room. But it is nice that just about every place in town has Two Hearted Ale on tap.
      OMO,

I highly recommend 'Back Woods Bastard', which is basically a bourbon barrel aged 'Dirty Bastard'. Excellent beer, highly sought after.

People either love or hate the 'Devil Dancer', there seems to be no in between. Somehow the hops they use give it an 'oniony' flavor that some people hate. I like to age my Deil Dancer for several years, it gains more of a Barleywine flavor.

Other recommendations for Founders... their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) and CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout). Both very hard to get. Look for the KBS on 'Black Friday.'

John Greenleaf Whittier