Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Beer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

Sitting in my hotel room in Dahlonega Georgia drinking a Highlands Devil's Britches Red Indian Pale Ale. Had a Highlands Oatmeal Porter earlier.
      I like the Highlands Oatmeal Porter, haven't tried the other.

Sitting in a tiny, one person cabin because it's too cold for me to sleep outside. Drinking another Lagunitas Brown Shugga'.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Had a Lagunitas, A little sumpin' sumpin' followed by Brown Shugga'.

They're both hoppy but I'm developing a taste for it.
      Lagunitas is a gateway drug. I am mainlining the hard stuff now, but I'll still pour a 'Lagunitas Sucks' when I want something light.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Devils Backbone Vienna Lager, it's tasty.

Last year, I stopped at the place where they brew it...it's right off I 81, a little east of Roanoke, but they didn't open for another hour and I didn't want to wait.

I may try to stop next month when I visit my girl in VA.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

that Vienna Lager is really good. I hear they have an awesome BBQ sandwich too.
      There are two, separate, Devils Backbone facilities...one has a restaurant, the other is just a brewery. I think the AT goes near the restaurant.

Would like some clarification. I've been to both but I'm not sure which side of 81 the AT is in this area.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

There are two, separate, Devils Backbone facilities...one has a restaurant, the other is just a brewery. I think the AT goes near the restaurant.
      Would like some clarification. I've been to both but I'm not sure which side of 81 the AT is in this area.
      The AT is on the east side of 81 starting at Daleville. I think DB is right down the mountain from Reids Gap which is about 14 miles south from Rockfish Gap (Afton mountain on 64)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

There are two, separate, Devils Backbone facilities...one has a restaurant, the other is just a brewery. I think the AT goes near the restaurant.Would like some clarification. I've been to both but I'm not sure which side of 81 the AT is in this area.
      The AT is on the east side of 81 starting at Daleville. I think DB is right down the mountain from Reids Gap which is about 14 miles south from Rockfish Gap (Afton mountain on 64)
      I finally remembered, the DB that's east of Roanoke is called the Outpost.
    • Rasty wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

This is what keeps me warm on a cold Winter night. This is a 2009 World Wide Stout, I've been waiting almost 7 years for this one. It is time.

I want one
      I enjoy picking up a Grog every now and then of IPA 90 but (2) 16 ounces prevents driving.

dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-…d-brews/90-minute-ipa.htm

[IMG:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JwqpIYMdrws/U4ZfsCr4UhI/AAAAAAAACZU/Wk-yE1G57jA/s1600/dogfishhead90minute.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WOO,

The 90 minute is a fine everyday beer. If you ever try the Dogfish 120, it will knock your feathers off. I have several 120's aging now for several years. It becomes very much like a barley wine. I like it fresh, I love it aged.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • TrafficJam wrote:

until now, I've never heard of saving and aging beer. How do you know to save?
      I have a couple hundred beers aging in my cellar right now. I've found that Barlywine, and high-alcohol type beers improve the most with aging. Some beers can go many years (Thomas Hardy's comes to mind), but your typical hoppy ales should be enjoyed fresh. The stouts are tough to call, some are best fresh, some with just a year or two on them. It is fun to save a bottle for each of several years and then have a tasting 'vertical' with friends to see which year people like best.

My favorite beers to age are..
      Dogfish 120
      Dogfish World Wide Stout
      Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Stouts (just a few years)
      Avery Samuel
      Avery Mephistopheles
      Avery PumKYn
      Avery Uncle Jacobs (just a year or two)
      Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (I think these taste worst in years 2-4 and then start improving around year 5)
      Founders Devil Dancer (age same as the above)
      Thomas Hardy's (only a few left :( )

I just bought two bottles of Dogfish 'Higher Math' today. This is an example of a beer that gets poor ratings on BeerAdvocate because people do not understand it. Yes, it is too sweet, and boozy to enjoy right now. But in a few years the sweetness will give way to something richer and more complex. The flavors will begin to harmonize. Sometimes I get them wrong, but I have a lot of faith in this one. Higher Math is going to be great, people just need to be patient.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I have a couple hundred beers aging in my cellar right now. I've found that Barlywine, and high-alcohol type beers improve the most with aging. Some beers can go many years (Thomas Hardy's comes to mind), but your typical hoppy ales should be enjoyed fresh. The stouts are tough to call, some are best fresh, some with just a year or two on them. It is fun to save a bottle for each of several years and then have a tasting 'vertical' with friends to see which year people like best.
      My favorite beers to age are..
      Dogfish 120
      Dogfish World Wide Stout
      Avery Samuel
      Avery Mephistopheles
      Avery PumKYn
      Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (I think these taste worst in years 2-4 and then start improving around year 5)

I just bought two bottles of Dogfish 'Higher Math' today. This is an example of a beer that gets poor ratings on BeerAdvocate because people do not understand it. Yes, it is too sweet, and boozy to enjoy right now. But in a few years the sweetness will give way to something richer and more complex. The flavors will begin to harmonize. Sometimes I get them wrong, but I have a lot of faith in this one. Higher Math is going to be great, people just need to be patient.
      Interesting, who would have thought? I don't have enough self restraint to do this.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I have a couple hundred beers aging in my cellar right now. I've found that Barlywine, and high-alcohol type beers improve the most with aging. Some beers can go many years (Thomas Hardy's comes to mind), but your typical hoppy ales should be enjoyed fresh. The stouts are tough to call, some are best fresh, some with just a year or two on them. It is fun to save a bottle for each of several years and then have a tasting 'vertical' with friends to see which year people like best.My favorite beers to age are..
      Dogfish 120
      Dogfish World Wide Stout
      Avery Samuel
      Avery Mephistopheles
      Avery PumKYn

Interesting, who would have thought? I don't have enough self restraint to do this.
      I am with you on that. I read that post and I thought how does he do that?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I have a couple hundred beers aging in my cellar right now. I've found that Barlywine, and high-alcohol type beers improve the most with aging. Some beers can go many years (Thomas Hardy's comes to mind), but your typical hoppy ales should be enjoyed fresh. The stouts are tough to call, some are best fresh, some with just a year or two on them. It is fun to save a bottle for each of several years and then have a tasting 'vertical' with friends to see which year people like best.My favorite beers to age are..Dogfish 120
      Dogfish World Wide Stout
      Avery Samuel
      Avery Mephistopheles
      Avery PumKYn

I am with you on that. I read that post and I thought how does he do that?
      I couldn't at first. Then one day I went out and spent a boatload of money stocking up. I reached 'Critical Mass.' Now what I take out about equals what I put in so it is now self sustaining.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

The best beer I've ever had was when I was living in Europe.
      It was made by the Trappist monks from Belgium.
      As I remember it not only was it very tasty but you had to drink it with your teeth together to strain out the "stuff" that was still in it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer
      There are several 'Trappist Monk' breweries in Belgium. Perhaps the most widely known one is Chimay located in the village of Forges. The monks not only brew great beer, but produce a variety of cheeses and crusty bread.

Chimay Red and Blue (Grand Reserve) are commonly available in the US but to me both are best enjoyed while sitting on the plaza outside the monastery with a hunk of cheese and a loaf of bread still warm from the oven.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Chimay Red and Blue (Grand Reserve) are commonly available in the US but to me both are best enjoyed while sitting on the plaza outside the monastery with a hunk of cheese and a loaf of bread still warm from the oven.
      Oh, your killing me. I would love to go there, and I want to go to the Westvleteren Brewery someday.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Went to the Collinsville flea market today, saw a Flora-Bama tee shirt I gotta get the next time I go to Orange Beach..."In dog beers I've only had one".
      Stopped in at the Flora-Bama today to get lottery tickets. With every renovation it becomes a bigger tourist trap.
      dog beers - friend of ugly chicks everywhere!
      Did they put up new plastic walls?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Went to the Collinsville flea market today, saw a Flora-Bama tee shirt I gotta get the next time I go to Orange Beach..."In dog beers I've only had one".
      Stopped in at the Flora-Bama today to get lottery tickets. With every renovation it becomes a bigger tourist trap.dog beers - friend of ugly chicks everywhere!
      I was referring to the new bar, liquor store and marina across the road from the original Flora-Bama (probably still plastic walls). They're gearing up big time for spring break dollars.
    • chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Stopped in at the Flora-Bama today to get lottery tickets. With every renovation it becomes a bigger tourist trap.dog beers - friend of ugly chicks everywhere!
      I was referring to the new bar, liquor store and marina across the road from the original Flora-Bama (probably still plastic walls). They're gearing up big time for spring break dollars.
      I liked those plastic walls and tarps, gave it the kind of class I'm accustomed to, that down home look, we always stayed at the Phoenix next door so no driving would be required, I've got to make it there one year for the mullet toss.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I liked those plastic walls and tarps, gave it the kind of class I'm accustomed to, that down home look, we always stayed at the Phoenix next door so no driving would be required, I've got to make it there one year for the mullet toss.
      I guess being a local I sorta grew up with the Flora-Bama. Heck I even met my 2nd wife there in '84. These days there's no attraction. If I happen to be at the beach and I want lottery tickets, I'll stop by. Otherwise no.

Years ago I was in an elevator in Taipei, Taiwan wearing a Flora-Bama t-shirt. A little chinese lady in the back said, "Hey I've been there". Turns out she owned a bar in Taipei which I visited (at her invitation) later that night. Sure enough, tacked on the wall behind the bar was a Flora-Bama t-shirt. Small world.