Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Journals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trail Journals

Hey, just wondering. I know I've seen a few people on this site using trailjournals.com to keep journals on hikes. Since I'm contemplating my first longish hike in many years (SOBO thru-hike of the Northville-Lake Placid Trail), I'm wondering: is there an advantage to that site over my usual blog? I'm guessing not, for the 'photo essay' form that I usually use on trip reports, but I do wonder whether trailjournals has some hidden advantage that I'm missing. Anyone here got any insight?

Most of my blogging is likely to be post-trip. I do plan a couple of zero days, but the Adirondacks are renowned for their lack of connectivity. A lot of the motels don't even have phones in the rooms, and I know people who say that they never once got a cell signal in the entire trip except when they were in direct sight of either Lake Placid or Great Sacandaga Lake. And I don't think I'll have any ready way to offload the pictures from my camera until I get home. But I keep decent field notes, and I've worked out the workflow for geotagging pictures after the fact (matching up the camera's time stamp with the position in the GPS log at that time.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.