Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pillow Talk

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

I use the stuff sack from my sleeping bag as a pillow.
      If my rain gear is dry that goes into it, otherwise it's whatever spare clothing I might have.
      It can be pretty bad toward the end of a trip when all the clothes are stinky.
      Then I have to hold my breath all night while I sleep <X

On the upside, holding your breath could help cut down on snoring.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

If my rain gear is dry that goes into it, otherwise it's whatever spare clothing I might have.

Reminds me of this insomnia cure
      youtube.com/watch?v=fS-w4cwV4nY
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

So could dying, but that wouldn't be my first choice.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Have we ever hiked together? How did you know my snoring is that bad? Did my wife tell you?

Believe me you are not the only one. Once shared a shelter with a woman who complained the night before about people who snore. The next morning I asked her if I did. She said yes, but didn't complain, probably since I lent her a flashlight the night before.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re: Pillow Talk

LIhikers wrote:

Since we almost always tent, because we have the dog with us, I blame my snoring on the dog :D

That's funny because our puggle snores. She is just like a little person. She gets in her "spot" stretches lets out a big sigh and is snoring a minute later.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Since we almost always tent, because we have the dog with us, I blame my snoring on the dog :D

That's funny because our puggle snores. She is just like a little person. She gets in her "spot" stretches lets out a big sigh and is snoring a minute later.

My wife and the Norwegian/Australian Shepard we used to have did synchronized snoring.
    • Dmax wrote:

This weekend I'll be trying the airline pillows. One for my head and one for between my knees. I hope that helps for my back. I use a regular pillow for my knees at home.

As I scan this thread - I have to share the new pillows at the airport are packed with foam and do not compress well, the inflatables are almost gone or hard to find at the airport - but if you do they are cheap.

REAL MEN DO NOT NEED TO READ INSTRUCTIONS:
      Do not use sharp objects around your pillow - The noise may wake nearby real backpackers, who won't find this funny!
      If you are sleeping on a balloon. Stop! - let some air out.
      If your head doesn't balance on the pillow - Don't drink and sleep at the same time.
      Do not chew or eat the pillow you might choke or die with a terrible grin.
      Do not remove the label with your teeth - you might rip a hole in the sack.
      Do not use the pillow as a woo-pie cushion in the presence of others. - there will be a small uncomfortable sense of failure.
      Do not rub your head on the pillow - you could get the flock out of there.
      Do not use the pillow for Hemorrhoid relief - you might pop the pillow.
      Do not fill the pillow with gasses such as methane and use a survival striker tool to light it in an emergency.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

Tried a Cacoon pillow, didn't work. Tried a dry bag full of cloths, didn't work. Tried a dry bag with some clothes and the Cacoon stuffed inside with minimal air, worked.

DB,

Was the Cocoon pillow you tried the travel pillow that is an air pillow with about a 1" thick soft pillow outer layer? I saw one at REI and it is a little over 5 ozs. TJ I looked at the ones you have and while I like them and they would probably work for me, they take up too much real estate and are a couple of ozs too heavy. The search continues......
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Tried a Cacoon pillow, didn't work. Tried a dry bag full of cloths, didn't work. Tried a dry bag with some clothes and the Cacoon stuffed inside with minimal air, worked.

DB,

Was the Cocoon pillow you tried the travel pillow that is an air pillow with about a 1" thick soft pillow outer layer? I saw one at REI and it is a little over 5 ozs. TJ I looked at the ones you have and while I like them and they would probably work for me, they take up too much real estate and are a couple of ozs too heavy. The search continues......

The Cocoon pillow I have when put in it's bag is about the size of a tennis ball...if that. It's just a thin plastic membrane with nylon cloth on one side and fleece on the other...about 3 oz....It's a pc of crap, IMO, when used by itself but works well for me the way I use it.
    • Re: Pillow Talk

Thanks DB. That is not the one i was looking at in rei . i am going to try one of the inflatibles that i have inside my clothes bag with some clothes around it. if that does not work i guess it will be back to rei .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have tried at least 11 different pillows from down to the squishable (rolls into itself and compresses) to cheap inflatables on down to the little floppy ones that you can find at Academy. They all were variations of 'how much did I want to suffer.' (For the record, a year and a half ago I got rear-ended when parked at a stoplight which trashed the neck and shoulder for nearly the next year. I'm pretty sensitive to angles when I sleep).

I was playing around in REI when discussing this and their clerk recommended the Sea to Summit Aeros. Yes, it's a $45 inflatable that packs down to about 2/3rds a Pepsi can but it has a nice fuzzy top, doesn't crinkle, etc. "If you don't like it, bring it back. 100% satisfaction guarantee!"

Okay, cue the ground camping.. then the hammock camping. Did I mention you just inflate it in about 3 breaths, leave the inflate valve open, then dial in exactly where you want it with the tip of your finger? Then close the valve (or don't, it's never leaked even when I forgot). Talk about snooooozing!

"Inflatables leak/go-bad, etc." Yep, had a few of the cheapies do that to me. This Aeros, however, is so wonderfully comfy I use it in an indoor hammock (Ticket to the Moon on a regular frame when watching TV, editing a book, etc.) and have lately even taken to using it as my regular pillow in bed. It's that comfortable.!

Down pillows, from my experience, are horrible at anything other than keeping your head warm, not lofted. Why? Think about it: Down is compressible which is why I love my Wilderness Systems sleeping bags so much. Where else can I get a 6'6 Alpinlite down to less than a 2-liter bottle and still have a true 20 degree comfort rating? That same compressibility is great when you pull out the pillow and fluff it but twenty minutes later it's like you have nothing there at all. Add in they cost more and... uhmm. Yeah...

I could actually sit back and take a picture of the series of tried/failed pillows if anyone is that bored. :)

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

glad you found something that works for you - kudos.

I thought we all agreed that word sucks and we never want to hear it again.

im gonna say it just to annoy you. :evil:

You're a real sweet heart...BTW, what kind of cat is that you're holding?

He has a lot of Maine coon in him. He used to be huge but is now just skin and bones.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

glad you found something that works for you - kudos.

I thought we all agreed that word sucks and we never want to hear it again.

im gonna say it just to annoy you. :evil:

You're a real sweet heart...BTW, what kind of cat is that you're holding?

He has a lot of Maine coon in him. He used to be huge but is now just skin and bones.

Must be from Catahdin.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Astro wrote:

Yeah I remember in college when people would visit offering them my bed and sleeping on the floor. I can not imagine doing that now.

We did the same when we went down to the Kentucky Derby back in 1975. First we ladies slept on the grass between the curb and the sidewalk right across from Churchhill Downs since we arrived about 1 in the morning. The guys kept watch all night. Great times on the infield! Then afterwards everyone was too beat to drive back to East Lansing so we got a room where 2 people registered and since there were 8 of us in the car, the other 6 of us sneaked into the room. My husband (my boyfriend at the time) & I cuddled on the floor. Good times.
    • I bought this infaltable pillow for my hike this spring, and im very happy with it. it only weighs a few ounces, and is perfect for side sleeping, packs small, with a valve that cant leak.i got tired of using a stuff sack, as especially in non-winter months, dont have much in the way of spare clothes.
      the pillow is comfortable, and inflates in 3 breaths.
      downside is its a little crinkly sounding, although the noiise didnt affect me, it might bother some.
      [IMG:http://www.rei.com/zoom/vv/cdce58da-90aa-49a9-8847-e3f3e2bd2824.jpg/440]

rei.com/product/866771/sea-to-…w-premium#tab-description
      its all good
    • I just read this thread cover to cover in hopes of learning something new about pillows. I'm thinking about our LASH coming up next spring and I'm pretty sure I'll want a comfortable pillow. Up until now I've used a stuff sack with clothes stuffed in but it might be nice to have something better. Anybody find a pillow they want to recommend?
    • I tried fleece inside a Buff last time i slept out in the backyard. Not bad. I think a down puffy in a Buff would be better. But this only makes sense if you are doing a cold weather hike where you have those items anyway.

I have also been using the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Regular. I bought it at a local outfitter years ago. They had both the Premium and the Ultralight versions they let me try. The UL version felt like I had my head on a balloon and was only 0.7 oz lighter so the Premium version was well worth it for me.