Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Pack do U-Haul

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I've been in denial but I'm finally ready to admit that the OHM 2 isn't going to work. I've carried it several times with 15 lbs or less and had mild, low back pain, l hip pain, and l knee pain. I thought if I were more diligent with strength training that it would get better but it's not.

The frame sheet, or lack thereof, is everything. It accounts for the 1 lb. of weight difference between my two Granite Gear packs. What happened is, I bought the light one first (the Vapor) and found it uncomfortable. But that was mostly because it really shouldn't be used for any load greater than, oh, 25 lbs. or so. The framesheet just doesn't have necessary rigidity for that. The bigger pack, the Nimbus Ozone, has a much more substantial framesheet. Last summer I had a number of short sections where I was "light enough" to use the Vapor Trail comfortably. You have to match the pack to the load, and vice versa.
    • I tried doing the "no frame" thing, just can't take weight on my shoulders. Ladies are built to carry children on our hips so I want all my pack weight there too. I got the frame and sit pad for my homemade pack from Gossamer Gear, it is used in the Gorilla but can be purchased separately. I attached the hip belts to the sleeves for the frame and it carrys just fine. Pack weighs in at 1lb. 4oz. of which 4oz. is the frame. Pack will haul 30lbs. but I prefer to keep it under 25lbs. for the sake of my feet.