Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What Pack do U-Haul

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ZPacks Arc Blast 52L... I finally got to take it out for a hike in "4 season" mode the last few days as a shake down, and it performed awesome... I have had it out maybe 10 times in 3 Season mode, longest being 5 days, and I still think the ability to manipulate the way it carries as you eat down weight is pure genius on Joe's behalf... @ 4 days of food, I am usually right at 22lbs, but for this hike, w/4 days of "winter" food & gear, was @ 28.5lbs and it was like wearing nothing, even when rock hopping...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • I've been in denial but I'm finally ready to admit that the OHM 2 isn't going to work. I've carried it several times with 15 lbs or less and had mild, low back pain, l hip pain, and l knee pain. I thought if I were more diligent with strength training that it would get better but it's not.

Last week's hike was hard because of my pack. I was carrying 20 lbs and the pain in my lower back and hip was really bad. They just quit hurting yesterday. I measured my old pack to make sure the waist belt is in the same place on the OHM and everything is exactly the same. So I conclude that the lack of a support frame is the problem. I really like everything else about it...the really big pockets, the wrist straps, the lack of extra stuff that I don't need. I'm not sure where to go from here. :(
      Lost in the right direction.
    • It has the same carbon fiber hoop that the OHM has but also has a single aluminum support stay that connects the hip belt to the shoulder straps. I've carried 35# comfortably.

Ultralight (light) packs are a trade-off.

The OHM needs to be packed like a frameless pack by using your pad as a interior frame like a burrito and then packing your gear inside the burrito.

What kind of sleeping pad are you using?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I have a Catalyst and a Circuit.
      Love them.
      Essentially biggest difference is Catalyst apparently is just big enough for a bear canister sideways.
      It also has a slightly more robust support structure.
      If not needing a canister strongly recommend Circuit over Catalyst.
      Only downside is you do get a sweaty back.
      If you really dislike this (inevitable with all bags to varying degrees) get an Osprey pack. Best lightweight pack with "ventilation".
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • 2 years ago I bought a Catalyst, and I am happy. Now I am lighter and if I did it again perhaps, I would go with a Circuit.
      At the time I guess I was playing it safe to make sure I could carry a week's worth of food and my gear, where as with a Circuit it may have expedited some of the decisions to eliminate things and go lighter faster.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Rasty wrote:

I'd marry that pack if the State of North Carolina would let me.

As long as it's a female pack or related to you, you could probably get away with it. :P

Osprey Atmos 65 here. In my minimal attempts at stumbling through the woods, it has served me well. I can't really do a breakdown of particulars. I like it.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • OzJacko wrote:

I have a Catalyst and a Circuit.
      Love them.
      Essentially biggest difference is Catalyst apparently is just big enough for a bear canister sideways.
      If you really dislike this (inevitable with all bags to varying degrees) get an Osprey pack. Best lightweight pack with "ventilation".

Shellie's gonna start doing some extended day hikes with me in the spring.
      I picked her up a Osprey Talon 18 for Christmas.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I have a Catalyst and a Circuit.
      Love them.

Shellie's gonna start doing some extended day hikes with me in the spring.
      I picked her up a Osprey Talon 18 for Christmas.

I hope she doesn't see this and spoil her surprise.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I have a ULA Circuit that is perfect for five plus days in shoulder seasons for me. The suspension starts to fail at 30-35 lbs, but the only time I hit that is coming out of town and loading up with water to dry camp. For summer loads I now carry an Ohm2. At a base weight of 13 lbs, 10 lbs of food and a liter of water, it is sweet.

But I confess I feel lust in my heart for that Arc Blast ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• I was heading out to get an Osprey Aether 70 and a random ding on my Craigslist Ap chimed. A light detour for a virtually brand new Aether 85 cropped up 2 miles from my house for $100. I couldn't beat that with a stick even if it was the previous gen (no side pockets being the main difference). I'd rather have a larger pack than I need since I camp all year long. It gives me room for more insulation which is more bulk than weight.

The friend just sold the Osprey Aura 50 in the pic for a new Ariel 65 and we hope to break it in this weekend. Osprey packs might not be the lightest but even with 48lbs on the Aether at one point you practically forget you are wearing it.
      Images
      • 1025141617b.jpg

227.59 kB, 771×600, viewed 359 times
    • I got my new ULA Circuit. At first glance, I like the pockets on the OHM 2 better than the Circuit's because of the elastic in the pocket of the OHM. The Circuit's roll-top closure seems a little weird to me too but If it's more comfortable, I will love everything about it :) .
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I got my new ULA Circuit. At first glance, I like the pockets on the OHM 2 better than the Circuit's because of the elastic in the pocket of the OHM. The Circuit's roll-top closure seems a little weird to me too but If it's more comfortable, I will love everything about it :) .

I think you will like the circuit
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I got my new ULA Circuit. At first glance, I like the pockets on the OHM 2 better than the Circuit's because of the elastic in the pocket of the OHM. The Circuit's roll-top closure seems a little weird to me too but If it's more comfortable, I will love everything about it :) .

That's a nice pack. I like roll tops. Here's a rolltop that I made:
      Images
      • Jan 2012 653.JPG

101.94 kB, 800×600, viewed 326 times
      • Jan 2012 656.JPG

114.36 kB, 800×600, viewed 328 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I was unsure of roll tops before I got my Circuit but love it.
      The simplicity is great. I thought I would greatly miss the compartments in the "head" but the ULA's cavernous hip belt pockets are easier to use. The mesh back pocket and bungey cord are great for wet gear/tents ets.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Granite Gear Vapor Trail for when I can keep total weight under 30 lbs. Eg., all of my hikes this summer.

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone for when I can't. Eg., the last 700 miles or so of the AT.

Both packs date from late 2006 or early 2007. They're both holding up quite well, so I haven't paid attention to new packs since then.

I did a sh*t load of gear research for my '07 LASH and as a consequence, am able to walk thru REI or EMS without coveting the merchandise. Except maybe a new pair of poles. I think I finally killed my ancient Lekis on the LT this summer.
    • Yes.
      The back mesh pocket on the Circuit can carry just about anything you want.
      But I wouldn't.
      The sleeping mat is part of my sacrosanct "must remain dry" gear. It goes inside in the completely dry stuff. I use a trash bag liner. I don't trust a pack cover to keep stuff dry.
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Those of you who have a Circuit or Ohm, do you think it's possible to carry a sleeping mat on the outside of the pack?
      possible? YesAdvisable? No

Unless it's foam
      My daughter wants an accordion-style, foam mat that she can carry on the outside of her pack. If she uses the Ohm, she'll still need a foam insert against her back.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Those of you who have a Circuit or Ohm, do you think it's possible to carry a sleeping mat on the outside of the pack?
      possible? YesAdvisable? No
      Unless it's foam
      My daughter wants an accordion-style, foam mat that she can carry on the outside of her pack. If she uses the Ohm, she'll still need a foam insert against her back.
      I have a rectangular foam butt pad with a hole for a handle. It had a Browning logo. Maybe you could find something similar. I did not look through all 222 search results for "pad" at browning.com/
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

possible? YesAdvisable? NoUnless it's foam
      I have a rectangular foam butt pad with a hole for a handle. It had a Browning logo. Maybe you could find something similar. I did not look through all 222 search results for "pad" at browning.com/
      Gossamear gear has some : gossamergear.com/sleeping.html or you can buy a blue pad at wallyworld. In my SMD Starlite pack I cut my el cheapo blue pad into 10" wide sections and duct taped it together to fold accordian like. 5 sections of it fit in frame pocket and then I strap the remaining 2 to the top of my pack and use them to sit on at breaks and for a knee pad setting up or breaking down camp. I sleep on an inflatable and use the blue foam under it, or on top of it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference