Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Daypack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i use an rei daypack which isn't made any more that is ready to be replaced. i really only have 2 requirements - i want side pockets so that i can get water without getting into the main pack, and it has to be big enough to carry both a raincoat and fleece (along with all the other crap that comes regardless of the calendar) so it can be used on winter hikes.

golite sent me an email a few days ago for the daylite which will not work for me due to the absence of side pockets. this was the same day rasty wrote about the rush 14 liter and this pack looks like it meets my needs. golite also makes this pack in a 20 liter size. i'm going to measure my existing pack - i have no idea how big it is - and will buy the equivalent size in the rush.

rasty, your review was timely and helpful. i have a habit (which i'm trying to break) of analyzing gear purchases to death. your comments made this decision easy.
      2,000 miler
    • Tough Traveler Super Cay.

It's heavy, but it's bombproof. And it has a full suspension: an internal frame, waistbelt, sternum strap, load lifters, so it's comfortable. That's important to me, because I carry a heavy load in it when I walk to/from work: a big clunky laptop computer and its power supply brick, several notebooks, a book or two, pens, pencils, laser pointer, phone, pack cover (S2S Extra Small), headlamp, rainsuit, sunglasses, safety glasses, microspikes in winter, lunch, various other random junk. I think I might carry more weight going to the lab than I do for an overnight hike.

I've had my current Super Cay for ... about 16 years, I think. I'd guess it's got a couple thousand miles on it. Still going strong.

Oh yeah, and the factory is close to me. My wife is friends with the owner, and she's good people.

It looks like this when I'm carrying it. The winter scene reminds me: the bag doesn't have an ice axe loop, if that's important to you. It's not that important to me, because when I need an ice axe, I'm bringing my overnight pack anyway, because there's a lot of other bulky gear that I'll need.

[IMG:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OXE9NY1x9TU/UsGp91vbR3I/AAAAAAAAZWU/-NWwrLKqtLY/w705-h470-no/DSC_4973.JPG]
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Osprey Stratus 24 for me. Has side pockets, a nice ventalated back, hydration bag compatable, light (in my opinion), waist belt w/pockets, load lifters, built in rain cover, etc. Had it for a few years now and I'm very happy with it. Got it on sale at REI for 75 bucks.
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by Trebor ().

• Cheap no name pack about 25litres. Has our largest phone company name on it. Got it for free years ago. Has several compartments and mesh side pockets. Can carry 1 litre bottles in each side pocket. Usually carry tp, a rain jacket or poncho, some bandaids and any amount of stuff Annie throws in if she is with me. No hip belt but carries about 15 pounds comfortably enough.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • max.patch wrote:

i use an rei daypack which isn't made any more that is ready to be replaced. i really only have 2 requirements - i want side pockets so that i can get water without getting into the main pack, and it has to be big enough to carry both a raincoat and fleece (along with all the other crap that comes regardless of the calendar) so it can be used on winter hikes.

golite sent me an email a few days ago for the daylite which will not work for me due to the absence of side pockets. this was the same day rasty wrote about the rush 14 liter and this pack looks like it meets my needs. golite also makes this pack in a 20 liter size. i'm going to measure my existing pack - i have no idea how big it is - and will buy the equivalent size in the rush.

rasty, your review was timely and helpful. i have a habit (which i'm trying to break) of analyzing gear purchases to death. your comments made this decision easy.

MP, I just got my 20L delivered yesterday. It was only 2 oz more than the 14L. I went with this because during the summer I can fit my tent on the outside and my NeoAir Pad on the inside and do a bag-less overnight or even weekend with it if I want. Just seemed like a lot more options for only 2 oz.

Thanks again Rasty for the info!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i use an rei daypack which isn't made any more that is ready to be replaced. i really only have 2 requirements - i want side pockets so that i can get water without getting into the main pack, and it has to be big enough to carry both a raincoat and fleece (along with all the other crap that comes regardless of the calendar) so it can be used on winter hikes.

MP, I just got my 20L delivered yesterday. It was only 2 oz more than the 14L. I went with this because during the summer I can fit my tent on the outside and my NeoAir Pad on the inside and do a bag-less overnight or even weekend with it if I want. Just seemed like a lot more options for only 2 oz.

I think you got the last 20 liter available. Looks like they discontinued that size.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I think you got the last 20 liter available. Looks like they discontinued that size.

a few days ago the golite website showed both the 14 and 20 liter packs. last nite only the 14 was listed. however...if you google golite rush 20 and go to the golite site via a google link you can still order the 20. only 1 color left in the s/m, 3 colors left in the m/l. and yes, quantities must be very limited to remove it as a choice when you go there directly.
      2,000 miler
    • i'm starting to think if you see something on the golite website you need to get it right then. i've missed out on the rain jacket i want twice because it wasn't convenient for me to order at the time. next time it comes back i'll drop whatever i'm doing and place the order.
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

I got a little draw string sack I use, don't understand why folks need a $100 pack to carry a bottle of water and a biscuit.

I have an old bombproof EMS daypack that I bought for $30 years ago and a newer $120 Osprey daypack that I bought specifically for some purpose that I can't remember. The main functional difference between these two packs that one of them stole an extra $90 from me.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Got points to burn at Moosejaw. Looking at these packs.
      Wanting to stay as light as possible of course.
      rewards.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/…085957_10209_10000002_-1_

rewards.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/…171158_10209_10000002_-1_

rewards.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/…235064_10209_10000002_-1_

Need to carry - (all weights approx.)
      LightHeart Gear So-Long 6 (2lbs.)
      Western Mountaineering MityLite (1lb. 10oz.)
      Thermarest 40th anniversary regular (1lb. 8oz.)
      - could possibly go to ProLite small (11oz.)

Typically 3 days food - no cook and if so one of
      BB's alchy rigs.
      Pretty much the clothes on my back and a rain
      and MontBell Ex jacket.
      Usually wear a nylon shirt and BSA switchback shorts.
      Think 75 - 85 degree during the day and the possibility
      of high 40's low 50's at night but usually mid 60's.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Camp USA and was just
      looking for others thoughts and input.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • if i am taking a heavy load overnite, i used A.L.I.C.E..But normal day hiking/snorkling/ fishing/sightseeing adventures i have an L.L. Bean/Subaru pack, 2 mesh sides big enough main and 1 small that is always stuffed. It is good size for me, and it has a hip belt. I have been useing it for the stair days, but i think i will start to use A.L.I.C.E., she has a frame.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• I've used a cheap Outdoor Products backpack that Ive had for years and which I used yesterday. Recently bought an Osprey Stratos 26 that was on clearance for long day hikes. I really like the ability to use a bladder and the pockets on the waist belt and side pockets. Osprey won me over with their mesh back also.
      RIAP
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Cheap Walmart Outdoor Products. Does the job. Can't recommend it. Want better, but can't justify spending more than $20 for something like this. You guys might make me jealous enough to change my mind. Maybe.....

This is mine except mine is all gray:

Again, I am not recommending it. I just thought it was funny that someone actually reviewed it on YouTube. I figure if he isn't embarrassed, why should I be. I didn't pay $40 though. I paid closer to $20.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Used my 20L Rush a few times now, and plan use it again next week. Was hoping to do a weekend trip with my tent, but been too busy for that so far and just doing day trips, including one next week.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I have an LL Bean/Subaru......who knows what model. It has been very good to me. 2 side mesh pockets, a decent belt, padded straps, large-ish main compartment, book sized front pocket. Very durable, shows no wear for it's 8 years.................and it cost me...............nothing.............i fix Subarus all day :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Well forget this - I learned a stupid OMG moment from my dad - On a old AT moment over 16miles he showed up like a English Country Gent as he is with NO pack. A simple country overcoat and tons of pockets. A ten essential kit and water in bottles. A Cliff bar or two and he was bounding in his 70 year old bod down the trail. There's your sign.. Day backpacks are overrated - I have too many.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: