Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Waterproof Stuff Sacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Waterproof Stuff Sacks

Does anyone use waterproof stuff sacks? I've started using one, a 20L bag from West Marine. Are there any other bags to look at? I really don't need waterproof, I just want to use them. Heck, I don't even need them due to my pack being basically waterproof already. During a hike in the spring it rain hard for two days straight and not a single drop entered the pack. But I figured since I have the dry bag I might as well use it. I bought it for kayaking but will serve multiple purposes like hiking, vacation...
      Im not looking for feedback on water resistant, just waterproof dry bags and other brands to look at. Also, weight is a big factor for me. I try to keep my pack weight as low as possible.
    • Being a gram weenie, I leave as many stuff sacks behind as I can. I use a trash bag for a pack liner. I have a food bag and smalls bag and bag for tent. Everything else is loose in the trash bag in the pack. The trash bag keeps everything dry. My Packa keeps my pack dry.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re: Waterproof Stuff Sacks

I use a plastic liner bag like BB for my quilt and sleep clothes. All clothes not worn go in a wp roll top bag. Misc. stuff goes in another roll top wp bag. I make wp roll top bags out of cuben that weigh less than an oz. If you are interested send me a pm. I have made one extra large one to fit an entire packs contents in.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I normally take:
      1- for the down jacket
      1- for clothes
      1- for electronics
      1- for small stuff
      1- food
      1- for sleeping bag
      I use them more for organization than water proofing...except for the bag and jacket...keep them as small as possible.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I use to use the S2S roll tops until this year. I was trying to cut down on using too many bags. So in the 20L bag I put my clothes, sleeping bag and down jacket. That is the only bag I use, except I do use a padded cell for my misc. The tarp/tent, sleeping mat and food go in loose. My food is in big baggies which at night goes into the stuff sack.

i like the idea of using cuben to get my weight down more and to solve the problem of just a water resistant bag that I've used for years. .... My pack is cuben, so is my tarp. Maybe someday I can afford the cuben stuff sacks. Sounds like the lightest and best option out there for waterproofing.
    • S2s bags are eVent.
      IM and I used one when we hung a bear bag in Smokys. Everything inside was wet.
      Breathable AND waterproof?
      Doesn't truly exist.
      My gear doesn't sweat. I only put it in waterproof. I use the s2s bags still as they are compressible. But I don't trust them as waterproof.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I don't trust them as waterproof either. That's why I started using just one big waterproof bag this year. The 20L dry bag from west marine holds everything I need too, except it weighs 129g. But that is probably lighter than a bunch of s2s bags all in side of a trash bag that I used for years. ... I wonder how much cuben around 20L weighs.....
    • I probably have more bags than I need. Some are used more for organization rather than to keep things dry. For that, I use plastic grocery bags.

I stuffed my quilt and Neoair in the bags they came with. I have a plastic grocery bag for extra clothes. All of this goes inside a trash compactor bag. On top of that I have two Qt zip bags. One for all the small that little stuff you have to have but don't need to get to every day (medicine, first aid, repair, etc..). The other zip bag is for toiletry stuff I use every day. The cooking pot/cozy goes in the mesh bag that came with the pot. On top of of everything goes the CF Zpacks Blast food bag. Inside the food bag is a zip bag for garbage and four plastic grocery bags of various sizes, one each for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and coffee/tea. In my belt pouch I have a zip bag to keep my camera and cell phone dry. The tent is stuffed in the bag it came with and slips in the outer back pocket of the pack. In with the ten is a small plastic shopping bag to keep the tent stakes together.

Next time I may try skipping the bags for the quilt, tent, pot, and sleeping pad. Also, I think the trash compactor bag is bigger than it needs to be, since the only things in there are the quilt, clothes, and Neoair. Having plastic grocery bags to keep clothes and food organized worked well. I think they are worth the weight, although I never weighed them.