Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Understanding basics - Mac & Cheese

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Understanding basics - Mac & Cheese

Well some folk are clearly addicted on the trail I changed the numbers and based on one cup

Name. Calories Salt Sodium Cooks
      Kraft Mac & Cheese 280 480 20% 11m
      Knorr Cheddar Broccoli 310 630 29% 10m
      Bear Creek Cheddar Broc 290 770 32% 12m
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Here is a stupid idea, clearly me stirring the pot.

Add additional mac in fact double it.. divides the salt in half. Add a tablespoon of protein (TVP), How about cutting the heads of fresh Broccoli no stalk and drying it. Then adding to the mix or bag. Clue: when manufacture says "with" that's the smallest amount of product. Need more flavor? add small amounts of Dash. Cut into 1 cup amounts and vac seal as more is too much for the trail
    • Make it from scratch yourself. It's just a basic white sauce with cheese added. On low heat melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour & cook stiring contantly for about a minute. Add one cup of milk ( 4 tablespoons powder to 1 cup water) Add 1/2 cup diced or shredded cheese of your choice & stir untill thickened. I like to add a pack of Grey Poupon or 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard to give it a little zing. Pour over already prepared pasta. Yes it's alittle more work but you get cheese of your choice & so much healthier.
    • I do a similar thing with instant meals (add rice to stretch one box into two serving with less sodium). Would work for mac and cheese too. I wonder if something like rotini would could faster than macaroni?

BTW, when cooking pasta based dishes, how to you figure the water to add? The traditional instructions is to boil with excess water and then drain and then add the cheese mix. Assuming you don't do that with mac and cheese, what is your recipe/process?
    • I mixed up some cheese sauce with pasta today. I think I'm going to put 3 portions of dehydrated macaroni in one bag, add the boiling water, and let it rehydrate. In a separate bag, I'm going to mix up cheese sauce/nido/olive oil and add it to the macaroni when it's finished rehydrating. I think I'll use 1/2 cup of cheese sauce ... does that sound about right?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I mixed up some cheese sauce with pasta today. I think I'm going to put 3 portions of dehydrated macaroni in one bag, add the boiling water, and let it rehydrate. In a separate bag, I'm going to mix up cheese sauce/nido/olive oil and add it to the macaroni when it's finished rehydrating. I think I'll use 1/2 cup of cheese sauce ... does that sound about right?
      I never used powder cheese before, but hey, you can't have to much cheese in my book....it just isn't possible.

In fact, the new name is Kraft Cheese and macaroni
    • socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I mixed up some cheese sauce with pasta today. I think I'm going to put 3 portions of dehydrated macaroni in one bag, add the boiling water, and let it rehydrate. In a separate bag, I'm going to mix up cheese sauce/nido/olive oil and add it to the macaroni when it's finished rehydrating. I think I'll use 1/2 cup of cheese sauce ... does that sound about right?
      I never used powder cheese before, but hey, you can't have to much cheese in my book....it just isn't possible.

My daughter loves cheese, I've decided her trail name will be Cheesy, until she decides on something else. I wanted to name her Easy, because she's been such an easy kid to raise, but she nixed that idea right away. :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter loves cheese, I've decided her trail name will be Cheesy, until she decides on something else. I wanted to name her Easy, because she's been such an easy kid to raise, but she nixed that idea right away. :D
      yeah I guess so :D

...cheesy works.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sounds about right, are you practicing for backpacking today?
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Yep. I'm dehydrating the macaroni right now... I'm planning on 6 cups macaroni with 1+ cup cheese sauce (1/2 cup powder to 1 cup liquid).

Also, I just tried the Bear Creek broccoli cheddar soup. I put 1/4 cup in a nalgene, added 3/4 cup water, and put it in the cozy for 15 min. The broccoli was chewy and it was really salty. :(

12trysomething makes this; maybe I'll do this for the girls and Rasty's jambalaya for me.

2 cups broccoli cheese soup
      1 package ramen
      2 cups water
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Yep. I'm dehydrating the macaroni right now... I'm planning on 6 cups macaroni with 1+ cup cheese sauce (1/2 cup powder to 1 cup liquid).

Also, I just tried the Bear Creek broccoli cheddar soup. I put 1/4 cup in a nalgene, added 3/4 cup water, and put it in the cozy for 15 min. The broccoli was chewy and it was really salty.
      :(

12trysomething makes this; maybe I'll do this for the girls and Rasty's jambalaya for me.

1 package ramen
      2 cups water

Cozy for 20 minutes maybe try 1 cup and what are you using for a cozy?
    • appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…e0a4f3a18cae13ef70e808961

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Also, I just tried the Bear Creek broccoli cheddar soup. I put 1/4 cup in a nalgene, added 3/4 cup water, and put it in the cozy for 15 min. The broccoli was chewy and it was really salty.
      :(

1 package ramen
      2 cups water

Cozy for 20 minutes maybe try 1 cup and what are you using for a cozy?

I used my sunshade cozy
      Images
      • image.jpg

90.3 kB, 476×600, viewed 504 times
    • [IMG:http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608012256876957388&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0]My son makes the Kraft stuff so we did a side by side and this tastes better hands down, and has 7 other flavors
      Easy to work with.
      bearcreekcountrykitchens.com/pasta.php

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• odd man out wrote:

I do a similar thing with instant meals (add rice to stretch one box into two serving with less sodium). Would work for mac and cheese too. I wonder if something like rotini would could faster than macaroni?

BTW, when cooking pasta based dishes, how to you figure the water to add? The traditional instructions is to boil with excess water and then drain and then add the cheese mix. Assuming you don't do that with mac and cheese, what is your recipe/process?
      The Glad Bags only hold so much product and water. I am somewhere about a cup and a half per bag.

TrafficJam wrote:

I've got dehydrated pasta and cheese powder. How should I put it together to make mac and cheese? Mix it all together and add water or rehydrate the cheese separately? I was thinking about adding dehydrated broccoli, mushrooms, and Nido.
      Sorry for not checking the thread more often - how did this turn out - or did you add nido to smooth out the cheese?

The Broccolli heads I cut the very top with little stalk and make very tiny pieces - boil (blanch) and use a fruit tray - about two hours on the Nesco
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I do a similar thing with instant meals (add rice to stretch one box into two serving with less sodium). Would work for mac and cheese too. I wonder if something like rotini would could faster than macaroni?

The Glad Bags only hold so much product and water. I am somewhere about a cup and a half per bag.

TrafficJam wrote:

I've got dehydrated pasta and cheese powder. How should I put it together to make mac and cheese? Mix it all together and add water or rehydrate the cheese separately? I was thinking about adding dehydrated broccoli, mushrooms, and Nido.
      Sorry for not checking the thread more often - how did this turn out - or did you add nido to smooth out the cheese?

The Broccolli heads I cut the very top with little stalk and make very tiny pieces - boil (blanch) and use a fruit tray - about two hours on the Nesco

I haven't tried it yet.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK have you considered doing this at home and using children in a torture test to see if it is edible....seriously.
      There are no children at home. gif.014.gif

They'll be baaaaaaaack.

We thought our's was empty then the youngest, with new baby and wife, decided to come to upstate NY and go to school. We bought a large, old, victorian house with two of everything, had been owned by an elderly couple in their 70's with his 92 year old mom living in one side. I made a big, big, big mistake, installed a set of french doors to tie the two sides back together...guess which side they stayed on until bed time.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I made the mac and cheese for lunch. I made the cheese sauce in a separate bag and it was too messy so next time I'll put the cheese sauce and the mac in one bag and rehydrate it together. I added enough water to cover the mac plus a little more and it was perfect, a little bland but nothing some hot sauce won't fix. :)

The portion size was too big but is probably perfect for a hungry hiker.

2 cups of cooked macaroni = 1 serving, before dehydrating.
      The cheese sauce was 1/4 cup of cheese powder with 1/2 cup (plus a little more) of water and some Nido