Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How to become an Ewok

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Foresight wrote:

Damn, that's a studly post right there now. I'm proud of me, lol

I concur.

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Great info, thanks! I'm inspired.
      I'm 5' 1/2" but usually round up to 5'1". Should I start with making an 8' hammock?
      You can have my sig line if you want.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Great info, thanks! I'm inspired.I'm 5' 1/2" but usually round up to 5'1". Should I start with making an 8' hammock?
      I would go with a 10', 9 at the least.
      Yeah, what he said :D

I just finished making a top quilt, it's raining so I cant survey so I'm going to sleep. I'll get some pictures up tonight as I took a few while I was at it.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Great info, thanks! I'm inspired.I'm 5' 1/2" but usually round up to 5'1". Should I start with making an 8' hammock?
      I would go with a 10', 9 at the least.
      Will do...I read if you're over 6' to make a 9-10' hammock so was going off that.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've got my hammock material and color picked out. Sorry Foresight, the colors they offer at the place you recommend don't work for me. I'm going for 1.9 oz ripstop Robin Egg Blue.
      Why such heavy material? I'm going to make one more... 1.1 HyperD I believe was the material name...Dutch at Dutchware rates it at 250 lb, I have three 1.1 hammocks and a 1.6, only time I use the 1.6 is in the back yard, the hammock I use for hiking weighs 14 oz with suspension and bag, tarp weighs 13 oz with stakes and suspension.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've got my hammock material and color picked out. Sorry Foresight, the colors they offer at the place you recommend don't work for me. I'm going for 1.9 oz ripstop Robin Egg Blue.
      Why such heavy material? I'm going to make one more... 1.1 HyperD I believe was the material name...Dutch at Dutchware rates it at 250 lb, I have three 1.1 hammocks and a 1.6, only time I use the 1.6 is in the back yard, the hammock I use for hiking weighs 14 oz with suspension and bag, tarp weighs 13 oz with stakes and suspension.
      I knew someone would burst my bubble because of the weight. :)

I know it's too heavy, I'll look for something else.

Edit. Found it in 1.1

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I made a hammock last night. :)

I used Texsolv loom cord for the gather because that's what I have on hand. This cord is really cool. It's a continuous series of loops that lets you fasten things together without tying knots. It's really pricey though.

Next up is figuring out the suspension.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I made a hammock last night. :)

I used Texsolv loom cord for the gather because that's what I have on hand. This cord is really cool. It's a continuous series of loops that lets you fasten things together without tying knots. It's really pricey though.

I started out using UCR's (similar to whoopies but slightly lighter) for suspension but converted to webbing, not much heavier, if any, depending on the webbing, because it's so much faster and simpler to set up....I love the Dutchware titanium buckles, .6 oz per pair but they are a little pricey at $22.00...but worth it.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I started out using UCR's (similar to whoopies but slightly lighter) for suspension but converted to webbing, not much heavier, if any, depending on the webbing, because it's so much faster and simpler to set up....I love the Dutchware titanium buckles, .6 oz per pair but they are a little pricey at $22.00...but worth it.
      I was thinking about making my own straps.

I'm confused about the gathered channel hang. There were some posts about it on HF and a couple people said to do 3 rows of stitches. I asked about that and no one has responded. I followed the directions that Foresight posted and only did one row with a 1.5" hem. Is that ok?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Including the gathered end, my hammock is 9.5'. So I'll make the ridgeline 95". I'm not using my Texsolv cord, it's too expensive, so I'll order something. It sounds like the ridgeline is attached to the hammock via whoopie slings (?).

Next up...whoopie slings! :/
      I use both Zingit (yellow cord) and 7/64 amsteel (green) for ridgelines, both very strong, the zingit is adequate but I used the amsteel on the hammock I took out west because I was concerned I would have to use trees that were farther apart than I would like, reducing the hang angle and causing excess forces on the ridgeline...and I didn't want it to break or damage the hammock in the middle of a wilderness. That tiny little titanium thingy on the end of the tarp ridgeline is a real time and weight saver, the photo shows the titanium buckle, which I really like.
      Images
      • 2015_1004ctrail0002.JPG

206.58 kB, 800×600, viewed 453 times
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Including the gathered end, my hammock is 9.5'. So I'll make the ridgeline 95". I'm not using my Texsolv cord, it's too expensive, so I'll order something. It sounds like the ridgeline is attached to the hammock via whoopie slings (?).

I use both Zingit (yellow cord) and 7/64 amsteel (green) for ridgelines, both very strong, the zingit is adequate but I used the amsteel on the hammock I took out west because I was concerned I would have to use trees that were farther apart than I would like, reducing the hang angle and causing excess forces on the ridgeline...and I didn't want it to break or damage the hammock in the middle of a wilderness. That tiny little titanium thingy on the end of the tarp ridgeline is a real time and weight saver, the photo shows the titanium buckle, which I really like.
      I think I'm figuring this out. For a basic hang, I need hammock, whoopie slings, buckles, and straps.

Shugs videos are really helpful.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I think I'm figuring this out. For a basic hang, I need hammock, whoopie slings, buckles, and straps.
      Shugs videos are really helpful.
      You only need one or the other...whoopies....or buckles and straps. If you're a gram weinie go with whoopies, lighter still go with UCR's. For simplicity, fast set up and ease of adjustment go with the straps. IMO, there isn't that much weight difference in weight, in fact, I bought some lightweight webbing at a flea market that actually reduced my wieight a hair over the UCR's. The thing about whoopies and UCR's...they're fun to make...and whoopies is fun to say.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I think I'm figuring this out. For a basic hang, I need hammock, whoopie slings, buckles, and straps.Shugs videos are really helpful.
      You only need one or the other...whoopies....or buckles and straps. If you're a gram weinie go with whoopies, lighter still go with UCR's. For simplicity, fast set up and ease of adjustment go with the straps. IMO, there isn't that much weight difference in weight, in fact, I bought some lightweight webbing at a flea market that actually reduced my wieight a hair over the UCR's. The thing about whoopies and UCR's...they're fun to make...and whoopies is fun to say.
      I thought it was tree strap>buckle>whoopie sling>hammock in that order. Or a generic cord instead of the WS.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I think I'm figuring this out. For a basic hang, I need hammock, whoopie slings, buckles, and straps.Shugs videos are really helpful.
      I thought it was tree strap>buckle>whoopie sling>hammock in that order. Or a generic cord instead of the WS.
      I'm confusing you, you would need tree straps with the whoopies with a toggle on the end to attach to...words can confuse, the videos from Shug are better...he's a good guy.
    • What fabric did you get? I'm still in the learning stages myself and experimenting with different stuff, I slept in a 1.1 hammock night before last (rained all night, slept 13 hours) and a 1.6 last night, the 1.1 sleeps much better for me, I believe there's a little stretch that gives me a flatter lie, or is it lay?
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm confusing you, you would need tree straps with the whoopies with a toggle on the end to attach to...words can confuse, the videos from Shug are better...he's a good guy.
      I'm always confused, ha ha. :)
      I appreciate being able to bounce ideas off you and Foresight...that's how I learn.
    • Drybones wrote:

What fabric did you get? I'm still in the learning stages myself and experimenting with different stuff, I slept in a 1.1 hammock night before last (rained all night, slept 13 hours) and a 1.6 last night, the 1.1 sleeps much better for me, I believe there's a little stretch that gives me a flatter lie, or is it lay?
      My hammock is 1.1, we'll see how it works when I get the suspension. I read that the gathered channel end makes for sloppy sides, whatever that means.

I don't remember if it's lay or lie, we need to ask Twistwrist.
    • This is the suspension I have evolved to, took the UCR's off all my hammocks and replaced with webbing and buckles, it's just so much easier to set up when it's raining or in high winds, the hammock in the photo has the lightweight buckles (9 gr each) and longer than needed webbing, used it on the CT last month in case I had large trees or/and trees far apart. The winter tarp I recently made, has doors on each end so you can close it up or tie them back for ventilation, only used it in the back yard so far.
      Images
      • 2015_1005ctrail0005.JPG

177.6 kB, 800×600, viewed 365 times
      • 2015_1005ctrail0001.JPG

195.66 kB, 800×600, viewed 366 times
      • 2015_1005ctrail0002.JPG

189.55 kB, 800×600, viewed 363 times
      • 2015_1005ctrail0004.JPG

212.35 kB, 800×600, viewed 342 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

For my ridgeline I just used regular amsteel with loops on each end. You can use a whoopie sling if you'd like. If you do, it will allow you the option of adjusting ridgeline length to find out what truly is optimal for you.

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I was thinking about making my own straps.
      I'm confused about the gathered channel hang. There were some posts about it on HF and a couple people said to do 3 rows of stitches. I asked about that and no one has responded. I followed the directions that Foresight posted and only did one row with a 1.5" hem. Is that ok?
      A single hem is fine because you're whipping the end. The channel is never subject to any true force.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I have one I made out of amsteel that is 89" long.....yes, I screwed it up :D , that I will give you if you want to try it out just to see how it works for you. No whoopie slings needed to attach the ridgeline to the hammock.

• Drybones wrote:

This is the suspension I have evolved to, took the UCR's off all my hammocks and replaced with webbing and buckles, it's just so much easier to set up when it's raining or in high winds, the hammock in the photo has the lightweight buckles (9 gr each) and longer than needed webbing, used it on the CT last month in case I had large trees or/and trees far apart. The winter tarp I recently made, has doors on each end so you can close it up or tie them back for ventilation, only used it in the back yard so far.
      Basically what I'm doing with the Mule Tape is replacing the webbing you have above (heavy) with Mule Tape (light).

Currently I have shorter webbing than you that I tie in a toggle then connect my whoopie slings to the toggles. The MT will allow me to get rid of both the webbing AND the WS's thereby saving me quite a bit on weight and replacing three items (per end) with 1.