Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stoveless Meals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stoveless Meals

I am going to go stoveless on my next short hike as a test. I am not a cook. I am not creative when it comes to meal preparation. Many of you on this site have shown great abilities to create gourmet meals on the trail. Here is a challenge for you. What are some ideas for breakfast and supper that do not require a heat source? I would settle for simple, functional, and calorie dense. I am all set with coffee, snacks, and gorp.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Oooh, that's a hard one for me... I do like my hot food and my hot coffee, so stoveless isn't for me. But I've had times and places where cooking wasn't convenient, so I can sort of manage.

For dinner, stoveless means doing what a lot of us do for lunch. One thing I like to carry is the 'brioche toasts' from Trader Joe's - do you have TJ's up your way? They're nice for making 'tea sandwiches' with any combination of peanut butter, dry sausage, hard cheese, tuna, chicken, or salmon salad (I carry olive oil, sometimes vinegar, and a little packet of herbs to dress up pouched chicken and fish). Elf likes his with sardines. I find the toasts are a lot easier to face than most crackers.

I like having some sort of vegetables with this if I'm doing a cold dinner.. Harmony House vegetables rehydrate in a couple of hours cold, so I've been known to do a sort of coleslaw with their dehydrated cabbage, carrot, onion, herbs and olive oil, and a True Lemon packet. Throw in some water to reconstitute a couple of hours before dinner time, and just let it soak in the freezer bag. The same coleslaw can go wrapped with reconstituted refried beans (again, a long soak in cold water will work) and hard cheese in a tortilla. Or with dehydrated hummus. Or I can fill a tortilla with my home-dehydrated lentil-corn-and-red-pepper salad - plus some cheese and pepperoni. Or go all hiker-trash and do a PB-and-gorp burrito.

The other Harmony House veggies can be improvised into various sorts of 'chopped salads'. Make them substantial with hard cheese and/or pepperoni and/or jerky. If you find wood sorrel or young grapevine leaves or young dandelion or whatever, by all means throw it in. A nice chopped salad and some sort of unleavened bread make a decent cold meal.

If you can stand having your porridge cold, oatmeal reconstitutes well overnight and is nice and gloppy in the morning. Throw in a little bit of powdered milk and a splash more water. Or there's always granola/muesli, Or - I can stand Pop-Tarts maybe one day in five. Otherwise, eeeew. Or see what the grocery store has. I sometimes like hermit cookies and coffee for breakfast. Freeze-dried fruit, either reconstituted or eaten crunchy, is a winner for accompanying breakfast.

If you can stand to be awake in one place for a while, make instant pudding in a freezer bag and chill it in a spring.

Be aware that going stoveless means dodgy sanitation for your spork. Ordinarily, I don't worry about this, since I boil my spork every time I cook.

Also remember that the water weight of food carried from town to be eaten on the first day doesn't count. If I'm carrying extra water weight in town food, I just carry that much less in my bottles.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Thanks AK. A few random thoughts:

Dinner up here requires tipping a server. We "sup" at home and "dine" out.

Via makes a tolerable cup of cold coffee.

I am leaning towards taking some sort of bread. Will look at the Trader Joe's up here for your suggestion.

Veggies are out for me on the trail.

I like the tortilla idea.

I was considering the oatmeal idea. Will likely do that.

Already bring pop tarts.

Had not considered the spoon cleaning issue.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• after a couple weeks, i went cold breakfast on my thru as it was one less chore to do in the mornings. i had instant oatmeal with dry milk, raisins, and honey probably 80% of the time. the remainder was granola or grape nuts. and tang to drink although i don't do that anymore. first day out of town if there was a bakery i'd bring a cinnamon roll or something like that.

in conneticut i mailed my stove ahead a couple weeks and experimented going stoveless. i did not like this, although i put no thot into what to eat. bagel, cheese, and summer sausage/pepperoni etc and i was glad when i caught up to my stove. i'm sure i could do better now.
      2,000 miler
    • I eat lots of tortillas. Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, chocolate hazelnut spread, chocolate peanut butter, honey peanut butter, honey, tuna, chicken, ham, spam, ground beef crumbles, and "cheese" that comes out of a nozzle are some things to put on the tortillas. I carry fruit & grain bars. Granola bars, cookies, and candy bars are also good. I saw one hiker eat Campbell's soup right out of the can without heating it, at Fontana Dam.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Breakfast Shakes

8 Tablespoons Nido
      2 Packs Carnation Instant breakfast
      16 ounces water

Pick your flavor and add stuff that matches. With chocolate instant breakfast I add 2 instant coffee packs. With vanilla or strawberry instant breakfast I add powdered freeze dried fruit.

No cook dinner for me is dried sausage and cheese. Maybe carry a fresh apple and some flat bread.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Breakfast Shakes

8 Tablespoons Nido
      16 ounces water

Pick your flavor and add stuff that matches. With chocolate instant breakfast I add 2 instant coffee packs. With vanilla or strawberry instant breakfast I add powdered freeze dried fruit.

No cook dinner for me is dried sausage and cheese. Maybe carry a fresh apple and some flat bread.

That breakfast is very similar to the energy bomb I drank on Avery. Scared the crap out of me the way my heart reacted to it. I had butterscotch pudding in it too.
    • Many dehydrated & freeze dried foods can be reconstituted cold. Just takes a far longer time. Throw it in a nalgene or double ziplock while you hike.

One idea I have been thinking about trying is stuffed peppers. Carry a pepper or two, some precooked rice ( recipie I saw called for brown but will all the precooked microwave stuff available these days choices are many) & some reconstituded dry mushrooms. Add spices, soy sauce to taste. Could add reconstituded veggies. I like the idea of the crunch of the peppers that should last for a few days in the pack.

As mentioned above , many microwave rice meals that in a tortilla would make a decent cold meal. Pleanty of foil pack meats with mayo or other condiments & some cheese could do the same. For small condiment packs you can't snag at local fast food place try minimus.biz/
    • [quote='Mountain-Mike','http://www.appalachiantrailcafe.net/index.php/Thread/574-Stoveless-Meals/?postID=33542#post3354 I like the idea of the crunch of the peppers that should last for a few days in the pack}

Yep, Green Peppers! I gotta be waaaay.... deep in the woods if you find me without fresh onion and couple heads of garlic. Makes any meal better, (and more healthy) imo
    • I am liking this discussion. It is solidifying my plans. After AK's suggestion of oatmeal overnight, I researched the possibilities. That one is a winner in my eyes. Supper is still in the air. It will include bread of some sort. I am trying the stoveless idea because of how my shakedown in the Mahoosucs went and because of what I am facing for my next hike. I really want to shave some weight for this next 2 day climb.
    • Rasty wrote:

Breakfast Shakes

8 Tablespoons Nido
      16 ounces water

To each their own. I couldn't dig a cathole large enough to deal with the aftermath of that recipe going through my gut. PooFan
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I've been moving more and more towards NO cooking. I have to have my coffee, so some water will get boiled. A stick of pepperoni, block of cheese takes me a long way. I have found Wasa Bread holds up pretty well. Banana chips & peanut butter/Nutella...................and the Cheesecake is already cooked :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I have to have my coffee, so some water will get boiled.

I know how much everyone loves Starbucks here, so let me repeat my plug for them: Starbucks Via mixes well in cold water.

I prefer hot coffee. I prefer it freshly brewed. However, I am so hopelessly addicted that I can drink it thin, thick, and/or cold. One thing it has to be is black. At home, I will absolutely freak if you wash my cup. Oh, and if it ain't caffeinated, it ain't coffee.
    • Save the stoveless experiment until Presidentials on a three day weekend. Day one Hike from crawford notch to Lake of Clouds. Stay at hut as full service guest. Day two hike to Madison Hut & stay there. Day 3 Hike out to Pinkham. Problem solved! No syove to carry, very little food to carry with real coffee each morning. Even your wallet will get signifigantly lighter each day! It's a win, win situation! finger.gif
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Save the stoveless experiment until Presidentials on a three day weekend. Day one Hike from crawford notch to Lake of Clouds. Stay at hut as full service guest. Day two hike to Madison Hut & stay there. Day 3 Hike out to Pinkham. Problem solved! No syove to carry, very little food to carry with real coffee each morning. Even your wallet will get signifigantly lighter each day! It's a win, win situation! finger.gif

i did that about 20 years ago, although in the opposite direction. nice walk.
      2,000 miler
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Save the stoveless experiment until Presidentials on a three day weekend. Day one Hike from crawford notch to Lake of Clouds. Stay at hut as full service guest. Day two hike to Madison Hut & stay there. Day 3 Hike out to Pinkham. Problem solved! No syove to carry, very little food to carry with real coffee each morning. Even your wallet will get signifigantly lighter each day! It's a win, win situation! finger.gif

No. That idea su..... I mean has a lot of negative pressure. I hate to sound entitled, but there is zero chance I am paying close to $100 to stay in a hut. I don't even like the free leantos.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

No. That idea su..... I mean has a lot of negative pressure. I hate to sound entitled, but there is zero chance I am paying close to $100 to stay in a hut. I don't even like the free leantos.

entitled? I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... Heyyyyy! :D
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: